• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chainsaw thread

akroadrunner

Occupation
Gravel Pit/ Trucking/Owner
Hal, you need to click on the 'forums' section. Then scroll down through the headings. You'll find members saws for sale/wanted. Marketplace is where Mike is showing, and trying to sell his personal collection. It's a cool site for anyone who likes chainsaws. And who doesn't like chainsaws anyway. Maybe some un-American whimps. Fire them babies up and let's make some blue smoke and wood chips.

Wolfcsm

I thought it might be Magnus' site. Can't look at it from here. Will spend some time on it in the evening.

Thanks,

Hal

akroadrunner

Occupation
If you want a laugh, look at the chain on my 1130 G. I was in a hurry putting saws up for sale, and got the chain on backwards. maybe I can just run it in reverse since it is a gear drive. Now If I can just locate the stick shift.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
That 1130G is still a lot nicer than my first saw, a 5-30N Homelite. Even with the chain turned backwards.

Looks like something you would see at Home Depot. :D

akroadrunner

Occupation
Fell 20 Cottonwoods yesterday. Used the MS440 Magnum for most of them. Had to buck them into 15 foot lengths to haul out. A few were large enough that I had to break out the 056 Magnum II with the 36" bar.Tree Falling 005.JPGTree Falling 002.JPGTree Falling 003.JPGTree Falling 001.JPGTree Falling 004.JPG

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Looks like Mister Smoke had himself a lovely day. Life's simple pleasures truly are the best.

And a REAL tin hat. With that tin hat and that outfit, you almost look like a real logger. :D

gologit

Occupation
Logger
Fell 20 Cottonwoods yesterday. Used the MS440 Magnum for most of them. Had to buck them into 15 foot lengths to haul out. A few were large enough that I had to break out the 056 Magnum II with the 36" bar.

Good pictures. What was the reason for a conventional face and not a Humboldt? Just curious.

akroadrunner

Occupation
Is there even any market for cottonwood?
No market here for the cottonwood. Some people like the bark for craft projects. A few will burn it in the stove, although most prefer birch and spruce. I make firewood out of it to mix with the spruce and birch. Cottonwood doesn't burn as hot, but sometimes I don't need a hot fire.
The wood ducks sure choose the mature cottonwoods for their nests.

akroadrunner

Occupation
I recently bought 2 Husqvarna chainsaws. A 372XP with a 28" bar, and almost like new. Used for one job. Also picked up a 575XP yesterday at a pawn shop. 32" bar, and also looks nearly new. I looked up the specs on these saws. Looks like they are both currently being produced. The displacement is only 1 1/2 cc's difference, and the other specs look identical, other than weight. Can anyone tell me why one would be preferred over the other? Thanks. Make some sawdust, boys.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
So the first digit is optional and is ususally the series, the last two or three digits is the displacement in cc's Both are great saws and will use the same bar being a HU mount, The XP models are the professional series saws. Both are fairly current, On you SN, the first block is the year (two digits) the next two are the week. Remaining digits are the production number.

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
i've been selling husqvarna chain saws since '79 and been running them since '74. it's my pleasure to report that the first run of 575's had issue's , they have been corrected now and they run good! the differences i've heard from my customers is weight..the 575 being heavier than 372. as far as which one is better-the jury is still out on that one.

you should post what you think about those two,for all to read!.....i'm certainly interested in what YOU think :)

Oldtimer

The 575 has more torque. It will keep cutting when the 372 bogs down. The anti-vibe is 5x better as well.
My helper ran over my 575 with the skidder, so I bought a new 357XP as a temporary stopgap saw. UN-real how badass this little saw is. It's 9/10ths the saw the 372 is and way lighter and way better on fuel. 14,500 RPMs!

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
thanks for the info oldtimer,and sorry to read 'bout your 575.i sell a few every year 'cause them skidders get 'em......hard for me to believe how few old ones don't get run over and how many new ones "get the treatment". i'm currently runnin' 2 357's one with heated handels 24" skip chain and one regular handel 20" standard chain. plenty of what you need in a saw for around here, aint it ! :D

Last edited:

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Not a real good picture of the saw but I was the one running it and I cant take pictures while sawing. This was a cotton wood the hoe bucket in the picture is a 48'' and my saw bar is a 36'' and I had to cut from both sides to get through it.
Interesting falling cuts on the butt!!