• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Paint

MTNXTREME800

What is everyone using for paint on Cat machines. I saw some paint a Cat and it said " solvent/water soluble " never heard of such a thing it was either oil or water base. Am I better off using oil based Rustoleum Industrial Machinery paint or some other aftermarket brand ?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I usually just go to the local cat dealer although haven't picked up any paint in the last year or so...

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Usually I get their alkyd enamel, I believe it is water based... seems to hold up ok just give it a wash and wax evey couple of years to bring back some luster if you want. And the dealer price wasn't too bad or at least I didnt' think so ;)

td25c

td25c

Personally I like the old school acrylic enamel paint .

Blows on nice & dry's fast .

Holds up well in the sun & rain if the piece of equipment has to set outside .

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There is a fellow that is now having the original Cat Classic paint made again. Folks that have used it are happy with it. Don't remember his name. He posts occasionally on the ACMOC site. A search for Classic Yellow there would find it. Sells out fairly quickly when he gets a new batch made.

Delmer

So whats better, Cat Acrylic Enamel or Rustoleum Alkyd Enamel ?

From the other linked thread, Rustoleum Alkyd is basically goosed up linseed oil. Or I thought soybean... Pretty much anything besides spray can is better than Alkyd. Maybe not every generation of new environmentally friendly paint works perfectly, but Alkyd is the the old standard and easy to improve on.

I'm curious what the "solvent/ water soluble" stuff is? There are solvents that are soluble in either hydrocarbon solvents or water, just not both at the same time. I'm not aware of the paint.

DPete

I've shot a lot of it over the years, it goes on right out of the can un thinned, it's on the thick side but covers well with 3 coats. Takes longer to dry than enamel and gets chalky after a few years, been good enough for me, cleans up with water but finish clean your gun with lacquer thinner.

check

From the other linked thread, Rustoleum Alkyd is basically goosed up linseed oil. Or I thought soybean... Pretty much anything besides spray can is better than Alkyd. Maybe not every generation of new environmentally friendly paint works perfectly, but Alkyd is the the old standard and easy to improve on.
It's "boiled" linseed oil. Not really boiled, now they add drying/hardening agents to it. The main ingredients are linseed oil, clay and pigment. Rustoleum is the true "oil based paint" not to be confused with solvent based paint. Solvent based is the one called alkyd. In many instances it's better than water-borne paints, more rust resistant anyway. Kinda slow drying and bad about runs so you have to do one light coat and let it dry for 20 minutes then spray the second coat. Linseed oil is really the same thing as flaxseed oil.

MTNXTREME800

Well I bought the CAT paint and I gotta say this stuff is not bad right outa the can, gotta spray it at a hi pressure or it doesn't spray a nice wide fan, but kinda reminds me of the Centari single stage we used to spray on cars in my uncle's body shop when I was a kid, and that stuff was great but no longer produced. Doesn't smell like it could even be possibly water soluble, but I didn't even try, cleaned up with lacquer thinner like I always do.

MTNXTREME800

I've shot a lot of it over the years, it goes on right out of the can un thinned, it's on the thick side but covers well with 3 coats. Takes longer to dry than enamel and gets chalky after a few years, been good enough for me, cleans up with water but finish clean your gun with lacquer thinner.

DPete, curious if you've ever thinned this stuff ? And what pressures your spraying at ? Still having issues with a narrow fan, maybe a little enamel reducer ?

DPete

Never thinned it, gun @ 45psi in the old Binks syphon type gun. Never shot it with a newer gun but you might need a bigger tip if that's what you are using

MTNXTREME800

Never thinned it, gun @ 45psi in the old Binks syphon type gun. Never shot it with a newer gun but you might need a bigger tip if that's what you are using
I know this is old but we just sprayed some of the medium gloss black and it’s still not a great spray fan with the biggest tip in a Devlibis FLG. Using a 22 size. What size you using in the Binks ? Maybe I should switch to a siphon type ?

Welder Dave

Would seem it needs just a little thinner. Might have to experiment a little, 5%, 10% and see if it sprays better. Dupont Centari was really good 1 step paint but automotive paint is mostly base coat clear coat now.

MTNXTREME800

Would seem it needs just a little thinner. Might have to experiment a little, 5%, 10% and see if it sprays better. Dupont Centari was really good 1 step paint but automotive paint is mostly base coat clear coat now.
What kind of thinner ? It’s Cat paint. Loved Centari, sprayed all my vehicles with it back in the day. And we used to spray clear over it after stuff was great.