• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar c15 Air compressor question.

CAN-CATOPERATOR

Hello, I'm new here and I'm hoping to find some answers to my problem.
I'm operating a very large machine for a Canadian Railway and I am running into an air system problem. The machine's powerplant is a C15 engine. I don't have a picture of the model number etc but I can get it later today.
The problem is that the machine sometimes builds air pressure normally and everything works fine but sometimes it loses air extremely fast and builds air very slow at full rpms. We have not been able to find any air leaks anywhere on the machine.
One mechanic mentioned that possibly the governor is not working properly and another mechanic said it must be the compressor. (We are waiting for parts)
But if it was the compressor, is it really possible that it can be so intermittent?

The only other symptom that I noticed when the air building problem started
was that the air system has alot of water coming from the drains when I drain the tanks. I've also noticed water/mist starting to shoot out of air valves and vents.
If anyone can help that would be great.

I'm not a mechanic but I think it has something to do with the water and the mechanics aren't paying attention to it.
It has a dual turbo2000 system that probably has never been serviced other than the dessicant filters.

Thanks

63 caveman

Every time the governor kicks the compressor out. I'm thinking you have an internal leak or valve problem in the drier. There should be valve that closes the passage of boost air to intake when in purge cycle. Is it dropping boost pressure when it when it goes into purge cycle?

Like any air valve once they are subjected to water, oil, and dirt they never work reliably.

CAN-CATOPERATOR

Dropping boost pressure? I'm not sure. But I can find out.
I think it would be best to do a complete service on the air drier before throwing a new air compressor on there then.
I'll have to source some sort of service kit I guess.

63 caveman

Not knowing what this c15 power unit is running or what the compressed air is running it is just a shot in the dark from my keyboard.

I assume that there is a "wet" air tank. I would block the outlet of that tank just to eliminate the rest of the air system. Now your are down to compressor, governor, and drier with a few feet of air line.

63 caveman

I would hate to explain to one of my costumers that after replacing several major components that I found a chunk of trash in a line fitting.