• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar 966A

Impact1983

Does anyone no anything about early 60s 966A? Weight of machine, parts availability, etc.? Looking at one right now. Has sat for years. Needs a head gasket. Is that a relatively cheap easy job? Other than that it looks very solid. Very beefy old machine. Crab Steering. Turbo Diesel.

Rusted

Weight roughly 29-29500lb.
Engine is a D333T, parts still readily available for engine and transmission.
Make sure you check the c/v joints in the steer axle by turning as tight as you can in both directions (preferably in reverse) and listen for any clunking noises, they aren't cheap and availability may be an issue.

Delmer

Nothing is cheap and easy on something that's sat for years. You probably won't get the whole story of why it sat for years, as in all that was wrong that made it not economically repairable at the time.

If it turns over and the oil is clean, no water, or worse coolant comes out of the oil drain plug, then you could bring some batteries and start it, then you have SOME idea of what you're getting into. Probably not a govt, or big corporate machine at that age, then it would be possible that it was JUST a head gasket.

Impact1983

Thanks for the info guys. So first thing is pull oil stick and inspect oil. Then put the batteries in and fire it up, once it does Ill turn the wheels all the way to one side then go in reverse and listen for clunking. Is there a big universal joint inside the steering axle? There's a gravel pile near the machine I plan on working the machine in and out. Make sure the machine can walk into the pile and fill bucket. Work it for a good hour or longer and see how it is/ check for any major leaks that will show up. Leave radiator cap loose or off while doing that if it is headgasket.

Welder Dave

If it was only that easy on a machine that's been sitting for a long time. Delmer didn't say to check the dipstick, he suggested pulling the drain plug because that's where you'd find water/coolant in the oil. If it ran for a while with coolant in the oil could have taken out the bearings. The fuel system could be full of algae or water. If it was a relatively cheap repair, the machine wouldn't have been siting for so long.

Impact1983

Ill pull the drain plug and see how it looks and go from there. If it is full of coolant Ill probably have to walk away. Anyone know how much a machine like this is worth ball park?

Delmer

you don't have to remove the drain plug. They're usually loose enough threads that you back it out a few turns and wait to see if it's oil or water that drips first, and if the water is green, red, or clear, and what it tastes like if you're brave.

Impact1983

No water/coolant in oil. I did find out from the owner it has not been started in 10-15 years though. I am debating whether or not to put the batteries in too see if it will start up and if it does indeed need engine work. There was no fuel inside tank either. Owner is not sure if it does need head gasket or not. Anything I should try/do before I try to start it after sitting so long?

Delmer

Wouldn't hurt to check the coolant level. Oil level. 10-15 years usually means 30 so I hook up a boat tank with a few gallons of fresh diesel and not bother with the old tank that's full of crud.

If you want to, try to rotate the engine 360 by hand before cranking it.

Report back for the next step when you run into something. Make sure you know what neutral is and how to kill it before cranking it.

Impact1983

Update. It was a great success. The crank on the engine was free when I put the breaker bar on it and rotated. Put 2 new batteries in. We put about 6 gal of fuel in since there was nothing in the tank. Cleaned the air filter free of mouse nest and crap also in the stack as well. We tried starting and eventually after a half hour or so sprayed a little ether in there and it fired up. Ran it for a while. Then filled the two flat tires up. Then we drove it around for a good hour or two. Brakes worked and hydraulics were good. Has incredible power. That machine was made too last 100 years. Everything on that is severe heavy duty. Sounds loud as a b*****d. Bought it on the spot. Thanks for your input guys.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I would suggest changing all fluids and filters including coolant.

Don't think SIS has anything on those old girls but bet if you look around someone has a book or two on it. Minimum I would want to see you have is an operators manual, second a parts manual!

Just took a quick look on SIS and as I thought they only go back as far as the 966C and that is a much different machine!

Looked on Ebay and there are some manuals for 966 if yours is a 33A prefix s/n this one would be a good not too expensive start:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-Caterp...hash=item2eaf2bf525:m:mJsDX57HfxmI4EsjZPR5WQQ

Just be careful to check S/N ranges on any books you want to buy as there are many changes even in the same prefix.

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Go buy some lottery tickets before your luck runs out! Not very often you get an old machine that ends up running with minimal effort. Glad it worked out!

Impact1983

Yes I am definitely changing all fluids and filters. Greasing all fittings etc. It is a 33A s/n. I think the owner might have original parts manual and operators manual. I have to meet with owner again too look, and maybe old parts as well. If not Ill try ebay for sure thank you. I have to get filter#'s and fluid types from manual for sure. I also eventually have plans to paint it and sticker it with original decals down the road. It was a good day glad I have a running driving machine. Thanks junkyard.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A friend in Bakersfield has one. Its a hard working old girl but, man oh man, does his steer hard. Knuckles are shot and he has not found any yet as mentioned above. Grease the heck out of them and you have a beast.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
You can't kill those old CAT engines it seems. Reliable as heck and built to last. I bought an old truck a few years ago that sat for 10 years. 3406A that was in there fired up after 30 seconds of cranking. No fluid/filter changes, no ether, never even touched the hand primer pump. Didn't even bother to put fresh fuel in it lol. Literally purred like a kitten.

Impact1983

The tire that kept going flat had a slit in it. So I did a new tire. The exhaust needs some work. The cast Iron piece that comes off the turbo to the manifold then up too the stack needs to be replaced. Had a small hole when I fist looked at it. Every time I start it up it seems to blow more pieces off making the whole bigger. One of the boom cylinders leaks very slightly. Also the steering knuckles on the rear, I noticed they have a grease fitting on the top and none on the bottom both sides? Is there supposed to be fittings on the bottom of knuckle as well to grease?