• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat track loader purchase

ippielb

After I typed it all out, it sounded low, but I went through all the effort and said screw it and posted it anyways, after a night shift I thought I did well trying to think lol. I barely made it through that post.

Around here things are totally different. I am not needing a city license at all. I'm from in the sticks basically, no license needed for a city.

This would be my first job so I'm not sure what it would cost in fuel/time to move my machine, haven't had to yet. This is basically just a shot in the dark. Would it be safer to just say $225 an hour and how ever long it takes, it takes kind of thing?

This may not be new to some, but I've been just an operator working for someone so I've never had to figure these kinds of things out.

Dickjr.

If you actually have to bid it and you think it will take 10 hours add 20% to your hours. Figure your cost of moving in and out add 10% to that at least to cover your travel. Then take the total of that and add 25% for profit margin and you should be covered. Lots of variables involved , how far does the over burden have to be moved , stock pile or grade it out? I get underbid by other contractors a lot. But then you hear thru the grapevine they are asking for more money or threatening to pull off the job or don't show up at all. The way I look at it if I can't make a fair wage for the scope of the work performed , I will set in my lazy boy and watch Andy Griffith. Nothing worse than working and losing money.

ippielb

Guy asked for an hourly rate, that's why I was trying to do the math to figure out how long it would actually take me. See if the total would be worth it or not.

ippielb

Never did the job, just finished seeding, got my motor, hydraulic pump, oil tank, and connections ready to go, just need to fab up the motor stand and pump support to be able to mount it in the neck and get measurements for the hoses.

ippielb

Working around a crappy work schedule, and rain... I finally got everything done, buddy has a plasma table, he built me a nice frame for the motor and hydraulic tank. I painted it up all nice black. Mounted my hydraulic pump underneath, the hydraulic tank beside, got all my hoses made up, built a pressure release valve. In other words went a huge distance to make it perfect. Fuelled it up. First fire up, and everything works. Gauge shows my pressure, ignition switch works, hydraulic tank is big enough. The trailer has a hydraulic leak on it where the quick connect fittings come out the front of the trailer beside the air/electrical connections. It should have a bulkhead fitting clamping it to the front of the trailer, but the guy didn't care and it wore through the connection and it has a steady leak when used. But I'm pleased with how it turned out. Have extra length in hoses though. Didn't need nearly as long as I got. Oh well.

One thing that did upset me, I spent hours in prepping and painting the bracket, light sand blast to rough the surface up, brake cleaned, then Used wax/grease remover, wiped it all down, took it outside, sprayed on a nice even primer, looked good. Then I applied my paint, it went on alright, showed imperfections from wind kicking up crap and sticking to the paint. But anyways first time I fired it up, all the paint on the exhaust side of the frame looked like someone put a paint remover chemical on it. The paint literally separated from the primer, no adhesion at all. I wiped off the paint. I don't know if gas spilled on it, or gas fumes from starting the motor. I never dumped anything on it, the only thing that could've gotten it was exhaust or gas fumes. Oh well time to sand The crap down, and try paint it again I guess.

Back to the trailer, I'm really surprised at how high you can lift it off the ground. I'm so glad I went with a non ground bearing. So much better design. Tomorrow I'm going to try and sand the paint down, and put another black coat on the area. Then I'll try and learn how to use the trailer the most efficient way. And do a test run with my track loader on it. My relief valve is set to 2000psi right now we'll see if it's enough to lift my trailer. 8.5 gpm is a perfect amount of flow. Not too fast, and doesn't drag the motor much. Hopefully my 12hp is enough.

ippielb

https://youtu.be/d7zxBSkZ2Hw

Forgot to put this on the internet form a while ago. Land owner who hired me was very impressed and surprised about how fast and effective I am with my machine.

I ended up doing 1/8 mile of caragana bushes, levelled off probably 20 tandem end dump loads of dirt, three brush groups roughly 75'-80' round, and a large patch of poplar trees. All were pushed into piles and moved into the sloughs.

He said he'll definitely have more work for me in the future. And when I did that job, I had people calling me the next day wanting work done. But afraid since I was in an accident in October my chiropractor has me restricted on operating. And now the weather is -30 I don't want to start breaking things, so going to just wait it out until I get the clear from my chiropractor. I'm guessing I am already lost out on work because I can't do them yet. But insurance said they may be able to cover my economic loss.

ippielb

I checked out the video , its very tranquil. I was hoping to see that 73 pushing a load of chit all over the place.

Should've seen the one bush that was pushed, after it was knocked down rooted and stacked it was probably the size of mobile home. I was impressed. So was the guy getting the work done, and the neighbor who came out to snoop. I was giggling watching that pile of bush move about 150-200 feet in one push. Sure made good time in that!

That 1/8 mile of caragana bushes turned into 5 huge piles of bushes lol. There was a few big trees in the rows as well. Picked up probably a 30 foot tall tree and balanced it in the bucket and could've drove around with it. Machine was still in full control. People were stopping on the highway beside where it was and watching. Probably never seen anything like that before in their lives. I have another video on the computer that continues the video I put on YouTube. Machine does end up pushing the entire pile with relative ease.

ippielb

For those interested in the story.

A drunk driver in a stolen car that was high on crystal meth blew a red light, and I was on my way to work. They were going 80km/h north, I was going 45km/h east, and I ended up facing west. And that was with my duramax, and full slip tank. So my lower back/hips aren't cooperating. Just glad the shotgun stayed in the back seat and wasn't used on me.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
ippielb,

I don't think that will buff out! Sorry to hear about your back/hips. Maybe you should have used the shot gun on them!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been seeing a lot more meth head incidents down here in the US Midwest too. Local Concrete contractor got hit head on, on a hill side hard corner by a legal painkiller drug head. Gal driving the other direction came across centerline, he went for ditch but she got them anyway. Cops estimated her speed on a 40mph corner at close to 90mph, just stupid and no insurance high on oxycontine. Used to be in MO if you lost insurance or failed to continue insurance after buying tags they would come get them off your car, not so much anymore as seems too unenforceable, costs too much State Money so they pass that down to those involved in accidents thru their insurance companies.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Damn! Glad you're OK other than being beat up a bit, it could've been much worse.

ippielb

Yeah, I'm afraid since it's a "no fault" province. Since the car was stolen and the guy was drunk, I have to pay my deductible. He has no insurance and I CANT sue unless he has criminal charges laid against him. There was 3 people in the car when the accident happened. All three bailed out and tried to run. One tried to steal a truck at a coffee shop on the corner. The driver made it across the street and collapsed on the sidewalk. He also stopped breathing in the hospital an hour and half or so after the accident happened.

But now I'm without my work truck... had over ten grand in aftermarket into it, just put new tires on it, replaced all the brakes pins and bushings, 6 new bilstein shocks and the list goes on. Insurance never gave me close to what I wanted even after arbitration so I bought the truck back. Hopefully going to get my money back by parting it out or fixing. To find a 06' Duramax with all the aftermarket like I had on my truck will cost me over $26,000 at least. Not to mention trying to find one with the same mileage. 200,181km on it. Or 120,000 miles.

The only way I can sue the driver, is after the police figure out who was driving, and if the person gets criminal charges against them. But then again, can't get blood from a stone. They probably have nothing to their name, and a person can't take from government cheques, only the government can take from the government.

Dickjr.

My son was a passenger in a bad wreck that killed 2. His hip was completely dislodged and it broke the rear of his pelvis when the socket was pushed back thru it. He has signs of arthritis in it already , he is 18. Its likely he will need a replacement at an early age as well. It has become a legal mess as well. Back on point you may need physical therapy to retain full use of your hips. I'm unaware of how the law reads in your area , but unfortunately I have learned a lot about how it works here.

Last edited:

ippielb

My situation is you can't get blood from a stone, criminals will stay criminals. He has anything it will go in someone else's name, only thing he can't hide is a cheque in his name. Both were First Nations, so if their reserve gets a payout from the government like they normally do. At least I'll get my share of that. If I sue.

But on that note, I probably will sue because it is going to be in my favour, repeat offender, drunk, stolen car, drugs, on his person, and prohibited firearms. At least that way if he does get any money or possessions, I'll get my share for a long while. I'd hope anyways.

Right now I can't do much at all. I try to get myself moving, stretching, keeping active, but I can't sit, stand, lay down for more then 5-10 minutes without it starting to hurt. I am lucky in the fact that i asked my insurance adjuster and care provider if I could continue on a vacation I had planned. And they are allowing me to go. So I get to try and relax and enjoy the heat of Cuba for a week starting on Wednesday. It's been -30 degrees here for the past week, and Cuba is +30 degrees without the humidex. I've been told the water is probably the best activity for me right now. And I hope to spent as much time in the ocean as I can.

Being 25 years old now, I hope this isn't a life long injury. I had plans on renting a place in the mountains for the winter so I could go snowmobiling.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
:wierdt Always wanted to use one of those! LOL Don't let the hip injury get you down. I have been there. destroyed mine when I was 15.(dirt bike) Got an artificial one when I was 17. That one lasted 26 years. Went in 3 years ago and had it replaced again. I have farmed and ran heavy equipment the whole time.

I still ride snowmobile in the mountains, Montana, Idaho. still ride motorcycles. I think the key to keeping it working is to stay active and don't gain a bunch of weight. Water exercise is a great way to stay flexible and build strength.

best of luck to you.

ippielb

:wierdt Always wanted to use one of those! LOL Don't let the hip injury get you down. I have been there. destroyed mine when I was 15.(dirt bike) Got an artificial one when I was 17. That one lasted 26 years. Went in 3 years ago and had it replaced again. I have farmed and ran heavy equipment the whole time.

I still ride snowmobile in the mountains, Montana, Idaho. still ride motorcycles. I think the key to keeping it working is to stay active and don't gain a bunch of weight. Water exercise is a great way to stay flexible and build strength.

best of luck to you.

Thanks, I just got my motorcycle license during the summer this year. I got myself a 2008 Suzuki DRZ-400 kind of a mix of a dirt bike and street bike. I got the SM model with upgraded suspension and brakes. Stops on a dime.

If you ride the mountains, you've probably heard of Revelstoke. I got a room there. Really impatient to get out there.

I have 5 sleds right now, and cat use any of them. Hopefully my vacation and swimming helps me and gets more movement back down there and builds some strength.

I don't have t worry about weight. Heaviest I've ever been was 190 and that was just before my accident. I've lost weight since. Lost muscle mass so I'm getting lighter. I'm also 6'3"

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Just had lower back surgery myself. You listen to the docs as they are pretty smart. Warm ocean water, lots of SLOW stroke swims or just floats in the water, stretches especially the hamstrings so they do not drag on lower spine etc. I am in that same boat of exercise INCLUDING TONS or Km or Miles of WALKING, brisk pace, not stopping , going out 1/2 to 3/4(1-2km) mile at start then expanding to 1 1/2 to 2(3.5-5Km) and return will be amazed how well it feels and your body responds. Ice packs on those down times when it hurts or just aches.

ippielb

Just had lower back surgery myself. You listen to the docs as they are pretty smart. Warm ocean water, lots of SLOW stroke swims or just floats in the water, stretches especially the hamstrings so they do not drag on lower spine etc. I am in that same boat of exercise INCLUDING TONS or Km or Miles of WALKING, brisk pace, not stopping , going out 1/2 to 3/4(1-2km) mile at start then expanding to 1 1/2 to 2(3.5-5Km) and return will be amazed how well it feels and your body responds. Ice packs on those down times when it hurts or just aches.
Yeah we are going to walk to a reef that's like 3km away down a white sandy beach in tropical temperatures with the ocean right beside us. That's going to be the worst! Lol thanks for the pointers my chiropractor I see twice a week sometimes three times. He showed me a bunch of exercises and he gets me to snap crackle and pop, but usually when I'm getting up off the bench, my hips pop right back out.

Dickjr.

Your hip is dislocating? When my son was in the hospital over his they would not let him leave until his hip stayed in place and the did a series of rotations and checked it numerous times with mri. He was in the passenger seat of a Camry that hit a 3/4 ton Chevy truck head on , the car was traveling about 80 mph the truck was about 30 mph , the truck was slowing to get away from the car. I felt like the DR released him a little prematurely. Meaning , he did not schedule any follow ups , 2 months after the wreck , he fully released him. I agree , the more active he is the better he moves. He has a noticeable limp as well , not terrible. My health insurance is paying on it and my homeowners may end up paying him a settlement as well. Its a nasty situation.