• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat S50 Milspec phones

Desertwheeler

Occupation
Miner
If you don't want a smartphone sonim phones are pretty tough. That's what we were given at work and seem to work good.

movindirt

Keep the comments coming but I appreciate all the responses. I will probably stay with the Samsung and move up to an S4 as so far I've been relatively satisfied with it. My wife and I tried the chinese knockoff smartphones prior to our S3's and weren't very happy with them. I've had mine in a cheap rubber case with a plastic face shield from ebay but see I should move up to the Otterbox or similar case.

I know the cost goes up quite a bit, but you should try and get the galaxy S5, it is much better than the S4 was fyi. Otterbox cases are definitely worth their cost.

Dickjr.

I have the Samsung S5Active which is waterproof , dust proof etc. I put an otter box on it day 1. After a year the clip broke on the holster , I went to the otter box sit put in the serial number and reported the damage. They sent me a complete new otter box for my phone for a handling charge or 3$. That's when the 50$ I paid for the case paid off. The S5 Active is a good phone as well. Wonder if they will ever brand a condom by Cat?

kanewolf

I know the cost goes up quite a bit, but you should try and get the galaxy S5, it is much better than the S4 was fyi. Otterbox cases are definitely worth their cost.

I believe the S5 is the best phone that Samsung has made. Dust/waterproof, replaceable battery, and micro-SD card. A good case like and Otter will protect from most abuse.

movindirt

I believe the S5 is the best phone that Samsung has made. Dust/waterproof, replaceable battery, and micro-SD card. A good case like and Otter will protect from most abuse.

Yes definitely, I am wishing I hadn't upgraded to the S6, the battery life is not near as good as the S5 was, and its not replaceable, at least that I know of :badidea

d4c24a

i have a sonim xp7 smart phone , IP69 rated and it is as tough as old boots , 3 year warranty , this is my 3rd sonim phone , the other two have out lasted their warranty and are still in working order in the cupboard , the xp7 has a great battery life , i can get up to 5 days on one charge ,its switched on all the time

pburress

Occupation
field service technician
Same here, I've went through 3 LifeProof cases on the iPhone I have now. The cases may be "life proof" but they're not CM proof...:rolleyes:

BTW - Detroits don't leak, they mark their territory.:cool2

I go through an otter box case about every 6 months, thank goodness for the life time warranty on the cases

KevD815

Interesting thread guys. I have a oldie Samsung Rugby Pro. Never put a case on it for the three+ years I've had it and its still holding up. With that being said, it was "obsolete" three years ago so I would like to upgrade to an equally rugged phone.

gtermini

Interesting thread guys. I have a oldie Samsung Rugby Pro. Never put a case on it for the three+ years I've had it and its still holding up. With that being said, it was "obsolete" three years ago so I would like to upgrade to an equally rugged phone.

I have the same phone at the exact same age. I put a cheap ebay $5 case on it a yr ago after I dropped in on a concrete floor and the screen went balck (glass didn't break). I bought a used on off ebay for $40 and switched the screens. Other than that, it's been a damn good phone. It's also time to upgrade as this one has gotten slow and glitchy.

Greyson

pburress

Occupation
field service technician
Does it come with some sort of cat diesel engine ring tone cause that would be awesome?

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
I went ahead and purchased the S50 Cat phone. It has been a good phone but the OS has quite a few bugs in it. I will probably go back to a Samsung Galaxy and get a a good case but I have dropped this unit several times, once on mud soup while laying pipe and it has continued to work. Thinking that the microphone was full of dirt from dropping it in my D6 battery box in blowing dirt, I tried to take it apart and clean it and found the shockproof case IS the frame. It is very sturdily built but would work better with a later Android operating system. And yes, pburress, it does come with a diesel engine starting, which has been my general ringtone since I got it.

I had two of these cat phones. They are junk don't waste your money on them. Microphone went on one and speaker went on another. Warranty is almost impossible to deal with.I'd rather stick my fingers in a vise. O yea they are cool at first though with the back up alarm ringtone and cat apps that will entertain you for a day. I hope this helps someone avoid some heartache.