• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat e70b swing bearing

Trivia

Hey!!

I got an early 90's e70b. The swing bearings got a little play, i.e. sideways movement between upperstructure and undercarriage.

It is a Japanese model, gray market machine or whatever, hence importer doesn't know jack about it :)

Therefore i'm looking at Chinese part suppliers and they seem eager to give a hand. However they are asking for a parts number or schematics. Neither of which i have. I do have a parts number for a European made model from the importer, but im really not sure if they've changed the drawings, doesn't sound very likely eh, but then again..?

Does anyone have any suggestions or knowledge about these machines? I haven't taken her apart yet, to see if there would be a number stamped on the bearing assembly. It was also made as a Mitsubishi, but not sure if that'll be of any use.

Any ideas at all?

check

I don't know the answer to your question. I need to check the bearing on my 1992 E70B. Normally bearing wear is measured up and down by raising the boom and them pushing down on the ground with the bucket and raising the undercarriage. Readings are taken with a magnetic base dial indicator. If the readings are less than 3/16" or so, I would just keep it greased and use it.
Check to see if all the bolts are in and tight.

Trivia

Thanks for replies! I'll have a spannerman take a look at it. Chinese are really eager to send a bearing for one fifth of what the spares desk sold their last one years ago. Stinks or not, i dont know, but i think it's worth the risk, for the machine itself for real cheap. They even sent details on the bearing in no time at all.

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
Sideways play sounds more like a worn swing gear or a swing brake issue , swing bearing wear is almost always up and down and is caused from lack of grease , over greasing , or severe service like trying to pull out redwood stumps

check

Sideways play sounds more like a worn swing gear or a swing brake issue , swing bearing wear is almost always up and down and is caused from lack of grease , over greasing , or severe service like trying to pull out redwood stumps
Sideways play should be defined. A worn swing gear or brake could cause rotary play, but not horizontal play between the upper and lower race of the swing bearing. I would call the latter sideways play.

Trivia

Thanks for replies. Suppose i'll be wiser once taken her apart. Hoses off the swivel joint, bolts off the bottom and jack the top off I suppose?

Trivia

Well, there is an another thing which is a sort of a single clanking noise when turning first one way and then returning the other way from that turn, accompanied by a slight lag in turning. I'm not sure if its a radial movement of the bearing or the swing gear/unit. Suppose i should pull that before separating the structures and check the swing unit bearing etc first.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Hi Triviia
I would endorse check,s comments replacing the part may not improve your situation, suggest you drain the swing transmission see if you get any witness stuff to an impending failure, after which remove and inspect the transmission.
Kind regards
Uffex

check

Well, there is an another thing which is a sort of a single clanking noise when turning first one way and then returning the other way from that turn, accompanied by a slight lag in turning. I'm not sure if its a radial movement of the bearing or the swing gear/unit. Suppose i should pull that before separating the structures and check the swing unit bearing etc first.
Slack in the gears could cause clanking and lag. So could a loose swing reduction.

Trivia

Thanks for all the comments. Spanner man came along. Really liked how everything worked on it. Of course couldn't produce the sound when he tried, how else. Good news is that she's all fine and ready for work.