• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat dozer, did not turbo or engine start puking oil?

fastline

I will try to condense my post. Went to run my old D7E. Has not run in maybe 5-6mo. Knew the turbo oil return tube was leaking, always has. Realized during repair that the tube was not long enough because turbo probably was not set perfect but I just machined a quick shim to get this sealed and move on.

Got machine going. Nothing abnormal other than I knew the machine had some blowby and seemed quite a lot in the higher wind. Remember checking it a few times. Was mostly just warming machine and letting it idle and such and noticed oil drooling at the turbo. Fired machine back up to try to source the oil. I honestly could not tell if it was the engine or turbo. Oil sees to be drooling around the 4 bolt flange that mounts the turbo to the exhaust manifold, in which this would seem engine related? Honestly should never leak anything from there but...

It looked like bubbles right at the gasket. Just was not sure because oil went around the turbo housing and dripping from that too BUT, I did not detect much oil inside the exhaust elbow and exhaust smoke and such all seemed normal.

I was honestly hoping I had something like a sticky piston ring causing some oil loss for a bit but I would think that would have showed up in the exhaust..... Also pretty suspicious that I just worked on the turbo drain tube, and now something is puking. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how I might have screwed that up. Trying to think if I could have left something in there but not really.

Any ideas on how to source this?

Oh, this engine is a D339, 4 cyl if that helps. Coffee can pistons.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
in the old days as an apprentice we had to deglaze these old girls by letting the engine ingest a tablespoon of bonami cleaning powder off a tablespoon and into the intake
may be that's all it needs
Mark

wayne.d7

Check that the crankcase breather is clean if its blocked the crankcase will pressurize and oil cannot drain away from the turbo back into the engine,a quick check is run it with the engine oil filler cap off see if that makes any difference