• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D8K available ...

hosspuller

I ran across this on local Craig's list. They say it's been in storage for 42 years. I wonder what parts would go bad in such time. If anybody does contact the seller... Tell us about the machine.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/hvo/5988228306.html

CAT. D8K DOZER. BRAND NEW UNUSED. WITH RIPPER. In storage 42 years. New has pushed dirt.

Serial. Number. 77V6633
< image 1 of 4 >
00c0c_eCvgUElP26E_1200x900.jpg

00E0E_fUMjaHOPp6N_1200x900.jpg

00D0D_6C3yd1kxcYS_1200x900.jpg

00y0y_4d4hUv3nZjo_1200x900.jpg

CL

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Did early 8k,s come with a aftercooler? Mine was a 13000 serial # didn't,t have one, Look,s like a new paint job with aftermarket decals

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I've seen them do wonderous things with machines going to auction. Saw a 245 cat with a ton truck load of body filler on it. New seat new gauges, and probably new hour meter. That plate in the center of the blade.....Would that be for extra wear, or pushing scrapers?

Welder Dave

Looks like a good reason why to be leery of craigslist. Looks like a dent on the side of the hood by the lift cylinder too. Wouldn't a D8K have side shields for the engine? The hard facing on the side is the first clue and the decals don't look right. Also don't think the paint would be so shiny after 42 years. Could still be a good machine though but really makes you question the seller.

LDK

I agree with whats been said so far and heres a couple of things I noticed.
I am not sure but wasn't the alternator on the other side of the K's?
Also I can't see them realy well but those sprocket segments are looking well worn to me.

tctractors

Well this tractor is NOT brand new, the alternator is on the correct side, the hoist rams have been fitted with the CAT FOC mod' to the pipe work, the general look of wear would indicate around 4'000 hrs worked, this is based on the rear wear shoe under the sprocket, the track plates look to be E'Service items with again 4'000 hours eaten off them, the blade looks perfectly correct with the 3 section 7 bolt edges, the push pad is standard, the rock guards are a costly extra and nice to see, all in a good looking tractor although the hood has the rust eating the lower edge as common to see, it's copped the new lick of yellow and a few stickers to give it the as new dander.
tctractors

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
IF and only IF has been sitting a long time this would be a seals nightmare, engine, trans, finals not to mention all the accumulated moisture from sitting as oils drifted off the metal internals and corrosion took over. At MINIMUM oils analysis, a look under every reasonable removable cover and maybe might be worth the money.

d9gdon

It's probably a government surplus tractor that's been repainted. I've seen some with low hours in government auctions in the last couple of years.

JPV

A look at the wear on the pedals would tell something about hours, they don't usually ever get changed but worn handgrips are easy to replace.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
That plastic is a bridge too far...it would be filthy dirty and in shreds after all these years, and there is no way it would have lasted those 22 hours with somebody sitting on it sliding all around.

Oh well, I guess all it takes is one to buy it....

DanSpyralatos

Occupation
Demolition Contractor
I would never trust this. I mean many times you worry about getting a car out of the garage that has been sitting there for a long time - imagine this type of machinery. If you give them a call, there is no harm in that. But I've seen many of those floating all over craigslist and it is becoming a real annoyance. Unfortunately people do tend to buy things that look good now, but they will be regretting a year down the road.