• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat d7 with gasoline starter

caterik

Hello everyone,

does anyone know the type of dozer and the year of production on the pictures and how heavy it is? I think it is D7 1960-1970 but I'm not sure, it is 4cyl engine. Dozer has a gasoline starter. I'm interested to know the weight because I will pay it by it's weight.

Thanks, Erik

img1237.jpg

img1239.jpg

img1241.jpg

img1243.jpg

img1244.jpg

img1245.jpg

img1246.jpg

Old Magnet

That's a D7 48A model
Bare tractor weight with pony start 32,590 lbs
7S blade 5,780 lbs plus add for tilt cylinder
Ripper, no shanks about 5,300 lbs
I don't have a weight for the cab??
Produced 1961-1970. Would need a s/n to identify actual year.

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Are you buying it to scrap it. Should be a decent amount of interest in parts by the collectors in Europe if you are.

caterik

That's a D7 48A model
Bare tractor weight with pony start 32,590 lbs
7S blade 5,780 lbs plus add for tilt cylinder
Ripper, no shanks about 5,300 lbs
I don't have a weight for the cab??
Produced 1961-1970. Would need a s/n to identify actual year.

thanks, that helps a lot

Maybe you know how wide blade is?
It is without turbo, that means it is 160HP engine I guess?
And haw you know it is tractor? (sorry, I m not expert)

thanks, Erik

oldirt

that may not have a turbo but it should. all e models did. early versions were 160, late were 180, could tell more with the serial #. with that ripper it weighs considerably north of 25 tons. also, that ripper looks way bigger than any D7 version.. maybe I am wrong there.

except for the intake and exhaust uncovered it looks pretty decent on the outside, but there is a good reason it was parked and abandoned. interesting find!

looking closely at imag1241.. it looks like the exhaust comes out right in front of the windshield, and if I remember right that makes it a high horsepower version.. somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

caterik

that may not have a turbo but it should. all e models did. early versions were 160, late were 180, could tell more with the serial #. with that ripper it weighs considerably north of 25 tons. also, that ripper looks way bigger than any D7 version.. maybe I am wrong there.

except for the intake and exhaust uncovered it looks pretty decent on the outside, but there is a good reason it was parked and abandoned. interesting find!

looking closely at imag1241.. it looks like the exhaust comes out right in front of the windshield, and if I remember right that makes it a high horsepower version.. somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Dozers are not so popular any more in Europe. This one is abandoned like this 15-20 years.

Old Magnet

48A6883-up (USA) s/n are 180 hp. 1966-up. Might also be a Japanese built 95Axxxx designation version.
More digging shows the 95Axxxx to be 1969-1970 build but only 160 hp.
7S blade width is a hair under 12 ft.

I missed the one shank ripper in my first pass, add another 400 lbs.

Last edited:

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
something like that, I think I will have to pay around 6000€ + transport

I am curious what the transport costs will be in Europe, do you have any quotes on what the transport cost will be with loading?

The First D8 Cat I bought was in a similar condition(not running) but I got lucky and found a local guy with a 977 nearby to load it on the trailer, it was around 280km trip so 100km longer than trip from Trieste to Slovenia. It cost me 1,200 USD but that was over 25 years ago. Also it had a 12 foot blade so we removed it and put on the rear of trailer so not oversized load.

Last edited:

Old Magnet

Some they have gasoline starter, other they have electric starter, haw that? It depends of year of production?

Gasoline start was standard. Direct electric start was an attachment option.
There are current conversion starters available that makes it easy to convert to direct electric from pony start.

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
its looks a lot nicer pulled out of the weeds.
what are your plans for it ?