• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D343 Diesel Generator question

MikeyLikey30

Hey all,

I just came into possesion of a 175kw Diesel Cat generator (model 2842-0-815) (type SER-R) with trailer and cover. Runs great with 287hrs. I have no clue what year it is. How would I find this out? the serial number? (A33195TE)

I need all the help i can get on this thing. Anybody have any clue what it even goes for?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 436

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Look on the side of the engine block somewhere around the starter motor for an engine Serial Number. That will date it. Cat never made trailer-mounted gensets AFAIK therefore it was made by someone else using a Cat engine and maybe a Cat generator as well, it's hard to see from your photo. Check out the generator if it has a Cat data plate on it. It should be an SR4.

Also to cast further doubt I can't see any D343 genset engines anywhere, only industrial engines. That even more makes me think it's been built by a company somewhere simply using a Cat engine. If you can find an engine Serial Number does it start 62Bxxxx..? If so that would confirm that it's actually a D343 Industrial engine.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Interesting, looks odd to me to have the waterpump mounted where I would expect to see the hydraulic pump on a D343 in a 988 loader.

Must be some story if those are original hours on an engine of that vintage, when did they stop making the D343?

MikeyLikey30

Thank you Nige and Kshansen for your replies.

I have found the engine plate Engine model D343, Serial Number- 62B13154. There is also a "Holt Bros Energy systems" sticker on it Stockton CA.

Below is a link to a few pictures I took.

http://imgur.com/a/Ft4iS

If anyone can help me with a correct description of the Unit as long as an opinion on how much its worth it would be much appreciated.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I would contact Holt Brothers in Stockton. It appears they are the machine manufacture, may not have any affiliation to Cat other than using a Cat industrial engine and generator that in all likelihood were not purchased as a pair.

Cmark

It is a genuine industrial D343 and they were available with a generator coupling arrangement. I don't think at that time Cat were offering complete gen sets so it would have been assembled by a third party, but I would say that it's a legitimate build and not something thrown together in someone's back yard. Can you tell what the arrangement number is stamped under the serial number?

There's no data on a year of manufacture available that I can see. These engines were manufactured from 1960 until (I think) late 70s.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I would contact Holt Brothers in Stockton. It appears they are the machine manufacture, may not have any affiliation to Cat other than using a Cat industrial engine and generator that in all likelihood were not purchased as a pair.

I may be wrong but weren't Holt the Cat dealer for California back in that time frame..?
If that is the case then the set in the photo would be as near a genuine Cat genset as one could buy at the time.

Last edited:

lantraxco

Since Holt and Best were the two principles in starting Caterpillar, I would say it's as genuine as you could get, yes. Holt is still a large CAT dealer there in California as far as I know.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Since Holt and Best were the two principles in starting Caterpillar, I would say it's as genuine as you could get, yes. Holt is still a large CAT dealer there in California as far as I know.

Just googled Holt Cat in California. There are still Holt dealers in CA. In fact one in Stocton where this unit was assembled. It certainly is possible that it is a third party build for them.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Looks like the serial plate has been changed. stamped # on block is 62B 13126, plate rivets are not Cat

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

Yes, Holt is still the dealer/distributor here. And yes, the Caterpillar tractor was invented in Stockton, Ca by Benjamin Holt and I think it is neat that the dealership still carries his name. I don't know if any Holts work there now.

Marysville-Parts-Counter.jpg

MikeyLikey30

Hey Guys,

Just getting back to this thread now, thanks for all the great responses. Does anybody know what this thing is worth? I paid 14K for it. Thanks guys. Any info on pricing helps.

Delmer

I was going to say $5-10k. Those guys that know everything about it will probably go higher because they're more familiar with what they cost.

What's the market for a huge, mint, 40-50 year old generator? A small quarry somewhere, or export to the third world? Scrap is way down:beatsme

MikeyLikey30

Thanks for the input delmer, I hope I can at least get what I paid for it (worst case senario). It was used as a backup for a hospital but obviously not used much at around 280 hours. The market for this thing worries me. Thanks again.

lantraxco

There's definitely a market for it, do a little research, put some ads in Craigslist or contact some of the local power generation dealers. Maybe consign it somewhere. Would be a great backup for a midsized business or as Delmer says a rock quarry or sand pit type of operation.