• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 955L Front Idler bushing Replacement?

Bryant_955L

On Saturday I was looking at the front idler on the old 955L and noticed the idler wasn't aligned in the yoke. In fact the track pads seem to be turning out away from the engine. I then grab a pry bar to see if it was jamb with a large rock or something. What happened next totally took me by surprise. I was able to move the idler back and forth with ease. I check the other side to compare and it was tight. I also looked up the bearing assembly in my little parts book and it is a bushing type I believe. Now I am worried that the axle could be completely broke. I need to get a better look but I think that I may need to pull the track off. Okay so for a backyard mechanic wanting to have some additional fun this weekend, how do I remove the yoke? Obviously I want the easiest and smartest way can I since I have minimal experience. Left track front idler.jpg

Attachments

• Left track front idler_1.jpg
    Left track front idler_1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 451

Bob/Ont

The most effective way is an exchange Idler. When you are putting it together we will tell you how to shim it up.
Later Bob

sheepfoot

Track yoke

First you need a torch, then a 14-20 lb. sledge, I like a 20. If the machine has a quick link and you just remove the four pad bolts and pad that's great. Most will have a master pin that will have a dot or dimple, hopefully the pin was driven in from the inside rail. You will need a large drift to use to drive the master pin out ( if you have a rental place close by pick up a jackhammer bit and cut the point off) make sure it fits close to the pin size. Move the master to the sprocket or idler end, I use the idler most of the time with a 8x8 or 12 x12 block in front of it. Loosen the track adjuster fitting to let the grease out and push against the block to move the cylinder back. Let off the block just a little. Heat the bosses on the rail inside and outside where the pin goes threw but try not to heat the pin cherry red. You are trying to expand the bosses so the master can be driven out. Most masters are just a little bigger on one end or have a little taper, this is why it helps if its driven from the inside out on the install. You want a good hit on the pin, can't play with it, you can swell it if it gets to hot (pin) and really cause a lot of harder work driving it out. Internal wear on the pin can also cause it to drop in the bushing and make driving it out hard. Once pin is out be careful of you garage door, if the track unwinds off the sprocket and you are close to the door the track may cause some damage if it rests against it. Unbolt your yoke and remove the idler shims as needed and slide the idler off unto the track rail. I have two different jackhammer bits with a wobble hose and handle to take the shock out when hitting it along with some RR pin drivers. A rose bud on the torch helps to get a quick heat to the bosses. Wear your PPE, safety glasses, gloves, and thick coveralls. I have metal in both legs from master pins/ drivers flaking apart over the years. It would be nice if you had someone close by with a portable pin pusher, to make the job a little safer. If you haven't done it install the safety bar/lock on the loader also. And do not try to catch or pick up the pin once it comes out, had a customer try to do that several years ago and had to carry him to the ER after I told him to leave it alone. Most will install a new or re man idler due to time and cost of parts like bob said also. It sounds like a lot of work and it is, even after several hundred you have those that will fall apart and those that make you wish you were doing something else.

Bryant_955L

Okay, my machine is a 71j4718. I will look for the dimple in the pins. I don't have any quick disconnect links on the chain so I guess mine is the old style. Will the dimple be on both ends of the pin or only on one side? You mentioned you split the track near the sprocket or the idler and since I need to remove the idler would it be a good choice to split the track near the idler? I like the idea of a jack hammer but I don't know if I can put enough pressure on the hammer to pound the pin instead of me? Do you have any tricks to help solve this issue?

Bryant_955L

I missed the information the first time around. I see you use the jack hammer bit and a sledge to drive out the pin. Got it. Now to find a rebuilt idler? What kind of cost $$ am I looking at?

grandpa

I needed a rebuilt last summer and they my dealer didn't have one.... went with a Cat classic..... Don't remember the price right off but thinkn it was under 500.

Bryant_955L

Well I have made a few calls around and there seems to be some difference in the front idler assembly. It appears that some vendors believe the assembly includes the wheel only and others seems to think it is the axial, bearings seals etc. Can anyone tell me what to expect when I order the front idler assembly?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bryant, to re-pin the rail you will need a few extra hands, do yourself a favor and go to your nearest farm/home center and buy loose 3/8 link chain, at least a few feet of it and four pin on chain style narrow mouth hooks that will slide onto the track pads between the grousers. a length of chain and two hooks across a track pad gives a square hook point to draw the two ends of the track back together, have had a few of these made up and in my tools collections for years, makes it whole lot easier to align the pin for driving back home pulled back together with either a come along or chain boomers. Also helps to keep a straying rail on the tractor with a com-a-long to the tractor frame from the rail.

Bryant_955L

Well I found a local mechanic to press my track pins out and then we slid the broken idler out. The shaft was broken completely. I will post pictures shortly. Thanks forum for your help. I only have one more task to do and that is to replace the seals in the lifting Rams. I remember seeing a post on how to do it. If anyone remembers where this post is I would really appreciate it.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Well I found a local mechanic to press my track pins out and then we slid the broken idler out. The shaft was broken completely. I will post pictures shortly. Thanks forum for your help. I only have one more task to do and that is to replace the seals in the lifting Rams. I remember seeing a post on how to do it. If anyone remembers where this post is I would really appreciate it.

Try the thread, "Cat 951 in my sites". Details with pictures on the repacking of your lifting rams.