• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 955k Track Adjuster Question

Tom955k

After washing the dirt off of the Adjuster Spring, I found that bolts holding the bracket to the rail are sheared off and the bracket is missing. Anyone have an exploded view of the adjuster that would show the part number for the bracket?

image.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
try this .........

955K Track Adjuster & Recoil Mechanism.png

Someone else will surely chime in here but those sheared bolts are going to make replacing the bracket a very dangerous process unless you are extremely careful about it. Uncontrolled decompression of track tensioner springs can kill you ......

workshoprat92

I think the 955k is very similar to the 955L. Not only are the bolts sheared off and the bracket completly gone but there are two pins that are sheared also. you can fix all of this but what you really need to look at is how worn your front idler guides are worn. if it is way worn and your front idler is able to flop around then it will just re break all that you have fixed.

Here is where I would start before you split the track. you need some way to compress the spring and engage the lock nut to capture it at a length it can be reinstalled. two ways to do this. #1 if your tension is in good shape and tracks arent to loose you can pump it up with grease till tracks over tighten and it compresses spring. #2 and is way esier is to put a 4x4 block between track and sprocket and back up squeezing block of wood between sprocket and track causing track to go way over tight and compress spring. Have someone watch and measure when you are at compressed length of spring for installation. Lock park break. remove rear guards exposing large nut on end of rod that goes through the spring assembly. At this point I would remove the lock and then remove the nut. May take the use of a torch and heat to get the nut to move. after nut is off clean all the threads via sandblasting or whatever means you have. clean nut threads. Apply grease to nut and run on all the way till tight. Spring is now captured and is now safe to remove block of wood and split track. I would go ahead and remove spring assembly and use mag base drill to remove broken bolts. if the broken pins wont drive through to the hollow of the track frame you will need to drill into them and tap them. make a puller that can go on a slide hammer and pull them out. If you pull out the spring assembly you can rebuild the guide ears on the pilot like I did on my post about tensioner spring compressing.

Is that clear as mud?
all in all you have a large project ahead of you.

workshoprat92

Hey something else just looking at your picture I think your spring is broken. see how a couple of coils towards the pilot have no gap between them? indications of busted spring. If that's the case just cut the spring till its all loose. Look at your springs real good and check for breakage. If you need a spring the best price I have found by far is American Crane and Tractor

Last edited:

workshoprat92

And if all else fails cut the spring with a gas axe before starting disassembly. The cost of a new spring would be the least of your worries if that lot explodes on you.

Nige I understand what your saying for safety sake. But with a little planning and a little understanding there should be no reason whatsoever to cut that spring unless its already broken. As it sets in the machine it should easily be compressed and if all the parts are connected and in good shape all the way up to the idler yoke it really cant go anywhere as it is pretty well captured. Now if you cannot get the nut up to capture it you got a whole nuther set of problems. That spring is quite expensive and once cut now you have the added expense and headache of dealing with the dealer or track shop to get it compressed and assembled. I guess that's just an area that is a personal decision as to wither a person feels capable of doing the job in a safe manner or not.

In my honest opinion I would do anything I could to keep from cutting that spring if it is good and avoid the added expense and complications. If it is already broken just resign yourself to your fate and cut the thing before you go any farther.

Nige

The problem as I see it is that the front (idler) end of the spring/tensioner is not being restrained vertically because the bolts in the stop have sheared. I agree that with planning and a bit of thought it ought to be possible to disassemble without cutting the spring, the main focus being to get something round the track frame and over the top of the spring to stop the whole shooting match flying upwards if things go t*ts-up.......... An aftermarket spring can be had for between $2-300. How much do you pay for your car insurance then compare prices. Cutting the spring might (and I say that advisedly) be your best insurance policy ever.

To the OP. Try working your way through this thread. We HAVE been here before .......... and this ought to answer pretty m uch every question you have.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...-Looking-for-help-on-tensioners-and-injectors

workshoprat92

Yes I agree I would set up some sort of containment just in case it like you say goes t*ts up. Really curious if his springs are broke. I have two machines and between the two machines I didnt have one spring that was not broken. His looks just like mine did. And for some strange reason they always break on the bottom where they will look good from the top.

Tom955k

I looked for a break in the spring and didn't see one. I did find the spring on the other side broken.

I crawled under the machine and found the the inner bracket was welded to the rail. The outer one is missing altogether. It looks like I need to call Off Road Parts and order some springs

I'm sure I will be asking more questions in the near future. Thanks for the help, this forum is great!

Right side

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Left side showing broke spring

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 250

Tom955k

If you don't have a Service Manual for your machine then please ask for any disassembly information you may require. Don't go into it blind, especially anything involving a recoil spring.

Nige,

I do not have a service manual. Where would be the best source to purchase one?

For now, can you give me some disassembly instructions?

workshoprat92

I usually price shop from a few sources. It is amazing how they all have some things cheaper than the others and I buy from them all to get everything at a cost I like.

#1 Cat dealer. gives me a baseline and honestly sometimes cat classic wins out if no shipping is added. Always ask if they can send it slow boat no shipping charge

#2 E-bay is really sweet if they offer free shipping

#3 USI undercarraige specialties Inc in oklahoma city. 405-232-0290

#4 vtrack 844-488-7225

#5 HE parts distribution 800-438-2699

#6 American crane and tractor 800-999-8538

#7 a web site called (find it parts) also once in a while hits a deal for me. http://www.finditparts.com/?srcid=C...cpc&utm_term=finditparts&utm_campaign=BR_|_US

I have bought from every one of them.

Last edited:

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Tom, from looking at the picture. It looks like your front idler is adjusted all the way out against the stop.

A piece of 2" galvanized water pipe about a foot long works well to stick in the sprocket to back up on and compress the spring instead of a 4x4. You can see multiple pictures of that entire procedure being preformed in my thread. Cat 951-c in my sights Work safe and don't allow that spring to get loose on the front end because of the broken bracket.

Tom955k

I had a chance to work on the machine today. Just as Workshop had thought, the spring was broken on the bottom.

image.jpg

You can see where I have started to drill the sheared bolts out. The dowel pin drove out fairly easily. The bolts are a little tougher. I bored up to 27/64 and put some heat on it. It seemed like it pulled some wd40 into the threads. Hoping with a little soak, it will free up.

The spring bracket on the backside is welded to the track frame :(.

image.jpg

I called Off Road this past week and they will ship two springs for $648 ($282 for each spring and $84 shipping). I'll order them next week.

I plan on cutting the springs with the torch and will need some advice on exactly how to split the tracks.

nicky 68a

To be honest,I'm glad your spring is broke,because I didn't like the look of it at all and as Nige said..For a few hundred dollors...just cut the bugger up.It has made the desision for you.At least no one gets hurt

Nige

I had a chance to work on the machine today. Just as Workshop had thought, the spring was broken on the bottom.

You can see where I have started to drill the sheared bolts out. The dowel pin drove out fairly easily. The bolts are a little tougher. I bored up to 27/64 and put some heat on it. It seemed like it pulled some wd40 into the threads. Hoping with a little soak, it will free up.

The spring bracket on the backside is welded to the track frame :(.

I called Off Road this past week and they will ship two springs for $648 ($282 for each spring and $84 shipping). I'll order them next week.

I plan on cutting the springs with the torch and will need some advice on exactly how to split the tracks.

If I was you I'd hold off ordering parts and having them shipped until you get it all apart, because the chances are pretty good you will need far more than the srpings, bolts, & dowels that you've identified so far.

Try heating and melting some candle wax into the threads. That might just move them.

workshoprat92

It looks to me like the side of the pilot where the end stop was missing is pretty chewed up. you might need to address that before you put it all back together or the pilot face will not engage the stop properly. shouldnt be to hard to do by a little welding and grinding. with all the trouble it is to get this apart and back together i would replace the tabs that go on the pilot sides also. you can see where I did this on my build.pilot rebuild.jpg