• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 953 Vs Deere 655

DOUGR

I Am Looking At Both A Cat 953c And A Deere 655c Series 2. Any Opinions About Which Way To Go? I Understand That The Deere Is Made By Liebherr. Is This A Positive Or Negative? Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Cat has been in the business a while, but the Liebherr/Deere marchines are very, very well built. I am somewhat skeptical of the motors being mounted outside of the chassis, but I guess if Liebherr's been doing it that way for ages, there shouldn't be any problems.

As far as performance goes, I believe the Liebherr may have some edges over the Cat... I have heard that the controls are also a bit more refined on the Liebherr machines. But again, that's simply what operators report. You may find that the Cat is better for you.

(I'm referring to Liebherr machines as Deere equivalents.)

DOUGR

Thank-you For The Input. In Southwest Mo, Everyone Runs Cats And I Have Been Told The Liebherr Machine Is Not As Solid As The Cat? However, I Can't Believe That Deere Would Put There Name On An Inferior Piece Of Equipment

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I certainly wouldn't call the 953C inferior by any means. For a long, long time, Cat had nearly complete market dominance and really didn't have the need to worry about making its hydrostatics superior... because, all alone at the top, its hystats were superior.

If you get a chance, I'd test them both out at least a little bit. If your Deere dealer doesn't show interest in getting people hooked on their line of track loaders, however, I'd be cautious to be the first to experiment with them unless you know the dealer well enough to know they'll back you up 100%.

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
apples to apples

I believe the 655 compares more closely with the 939 or 943.

Cat bucket steel is hardest.

John Deere financing is very user friendly.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
The current 655 competes with the 953C. The older Deere models (front-mounted engine, such as 555G) competed with the 939, but since Liebherr began producing track loaders for Deere, there are only 953C/963C competitors.

kenw

Occupation
Started residential excavating company in 1978. St
I have 2 953C's and 1 953A. I have tryed out a 655 series II and was impressed. Went with the Cat because of better support. However another contractor I know has a 655 and 755 as well as 953's and he is really happy with the Deere units. If there is support for both either would be a good choice, however if resale is and issue stay with Cat. :usa :usa

lindemanallen

Cat Tracks on Liebherr

I know that Libeherr buys Cat's tracks sprockets and idlers to put on there track loaders I wonder if they are doing this with the Deeres? If they are it would be so funny because there would be Cat parts on a Deere. Please let me know if there putting Cat tracks on the Deeres.

surfer-joe

My past experience with Libeherr is not good. Machines seem to be capable when fairly new, but developed leaks and other problems quickly and dealer support was.......lacking in depth and talent. Parts locally were non-existant, a problem that Deere may have undertaken to resolve. Still, unless there is a huge price differential, I'd stay with the Cat models.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums lindemanallen!:drinkup

JimInOz

655 & 953 Specs

The brief specs I have:

953C 121HP (90 KW) 32,363 LBs 2.4CY GP Bucket
655B 120 HP (90 KW) 32,400 LBs 2CY GP Bucket

The 939C Cat is 90HP.

I operated a 631 Liebherr for a while.The clam power in the 4:1 bucket was amazing,& the pushing power was very good too_Oil leaks were a problem,but it was an old machine.The turtle/rabbit button was a pain.I think it ran Cat Undercarriage,but not sure.Liebherr have been around a long time.

Jim

Deereman

the deere is running a Liebherr D924T-EA1 engine and soon to be a deere. We've had pretty good luck with these machines so far besides tweaking them to customers demand. Quite,comfortable, and really good on fuel. We have only work on 3 and 2 of them was flip overs and 1 lemon. Other then that good!! The 655 has not a thing on it of Cat. I can just about bet on that.
Dougr, All I can say is just set up a demo with your dealer and go from there. What kind of work would you be doing with it? I'll help you out on the deere side as much as I can.

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
We have a few 655/755's scattered across our area and I have had very few issues. H20 pump leak which was updated and a drive motor failure that to was updated. That's it, nothing else. Customers I have talked to where die hard Cat guys and after running those 655/755's they came around to love them. Overall great machines and Deere setup a good parts system for them. I have had no parts issues related to them, no back orders to date. That's whats nice about established models.

RKO

Deere loader

I have a 953C Cat and rented a New John Deere 655 last year to be on another job. I never had them on the same job but the Deere would not do what the Cat will. The 655 had several problems in the 6 months I had it. (lots of hydr. problems) Dealer support was poor, parts were hard to get. From checking resale, the Deere does not hold it's resale like Cat. Unless Deere changes things I would stay with a Cat.

kdoug

needing to know if the 963 bucket with fit a 655c loader

I have a 01 655c loader looking for a new bucket found a 963 cat bucket was hoping someone would know if it would fit.thanks kyle
I Am Looking At Both A Cat 953c And A Deere 655c Series 2. Any Opinions About Which Way To Go? I Understand That The Deere Is Made By Liebherr. Is This A Positive Or Negative? Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated