• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 953 steering issue

mobile-tech

have a 953 2zn03684 -machine has right at 7k on it - came in from job said it didnt turn, ran it in the yard for 15-25 min seemed fine the heat wasnt working and i thought they might just wanted a different machine

back at another job worked fine til machine got good and hot after a few hours of running steers hard or doesnt want to steer unless you stomp on pedals then it will turn - machine hauled back to yard and steered fine into shop codes i have 079-0466.03 - i dont have ET and all i know id that a trans code
any help is appreciated

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
079-0466.03
Left steering pedal position sensor - hellooooooooo..........

I need to find the specific proceudre for it. Back shortly.
If you end up replacing a sensor as a result of the diagnostic the new one will require calibrating (see attached) or you will get an 079.0466.13 Diagnostic Code. You have the advantage that the Click Box switches are built into the RH armrest.

Attachments

• MID079 CID0466 FMI13.pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 2

mobile-tech

the code doesnt have serv code lit up next to it so it must not be a current fault -per the troubleshooting

Nige

the code doesnt have serv code lit up next to it so it must not be a current fault -per the troubleshooting
There was me assuming it was an Active Code. the troubleshooting procedure will not work unless the particular Code is Active.

Use the Click Box switches under the armrest, get the Monitor Panel into Service Mode, and try erasing it.

mobile-tech

Access into service mode and was able to clear code , exit out and cycle key check for codes none present

Nige

Access into service mode and was able to clear code , exit out and cycle key check for codes none present
In that case you are into Hystat system testing.

From memory the first thing you need to confirm is the engine High Idle (2325±50 RPM) speed before moving forward.

Attached some info on the Hystat T&A that might be useful. Based on your comment above "back at another job worked fine til machine got good and hot after a few hours of running steers hard or doesnt want to steer" my suspicion would be one or more internal leaks in the hystat that increase as the oil gets more fluid - YMMV.

Attachments

• T&A.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

Nige

This might help you see a way forward.....

In the OP you state that the fault occurred when the machine was hot. Clearing the logged codes, it seems logical to get the machine hot again and try to replicate the fault.

The comment about having to stomp on the pedals to get it to turn is strange because the pedals only move a rotary PWM sensor so it shouldn’t matter how hard you stomp on them, unless the signal from one of them is getting intermittent when the floor (i.e. the position sensor) warms up.

If it does start playing up again once it is hot and logs a steering pedal sensor code, I would carry out the engine-off and engine-on calibrations as a first step.

EDIT: Just to be clear in the above I was referring to ALL the calibrations in the order they are listed in the T&A attachment above. Starting with the engine off ones in order and followed by the engine-on calibrations, again in the particular order they are set out in the T&A document.

Last edited:

mobile-tech

Yes I’ll have to try that - as per the usually I’m bouncing back and forth between repair projects

mobile-tech

hopefully have time to run that machine tomorrow been bouncing around from a engine job,field repairs and pm’s. If it sets a code after I get it good and warmed up continue with the calibration from the t&a file provided.