• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
If I can find a different bucket in good shape, I might can cut the hinges off both buckets and weld my old hing pins on to a different bucket easier than I can fix mine. I did locate a bucket that might can be modified in that way. I just don't have a price for it or even know that it could be bought.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am still betting on the welder beating price for a used bucket that has to be modded to fit. If can find a direct pin on would be the ticket in this case.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I agree with you Miller, just haven't found the direct pin on for a decent price yet. I am thinking, I don't have a DC welder, just an old Lincoln tombstone. I can probably invest in a good DC welder, the steel and the rods and come out better than buying a $2800.00 used bucket sight unseen. You bought a welder not too long ago to the best of my memory. What did you buy and what could I expect to pay?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
There are a few good machines out there, I chose a more expensive Miller CST280 knowing I would be using it a lot and spent $2200 without leads. Had to install the 240V plug and open the machine to swap from 480 down to 240V. Can buy a lesser machine but need to look at duty cycles, reasonably I would not expect much of a machine for less then a grand. Mine is rated 100% duty at 165 amps 240v, 180 amps 480v (3 ph), is also convertible to TIG. Anything too light may cut out too often and screw with your welds. I could burn 1/8" 7018DC rods one right after another with the slag rolling off as cooled where my old buzz box would flat cut out after three and had to wait for ten to fifteen minutes between rods to get decent welds.

If you go this route check with your steel supply as to rods, they will have access to good quality DC rods.

Dickjr.

My nephew can fix it , he just graduated from Hobart Welding Institute in Ohio. Put a floor in it try to retain the teeth , maybe a several hundred in steel. TomV on the other forum repaired lots of excavator buckets , and they catch hell.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
IMG_0793.JPG
I have not laid eyes on it yet but my brother works about a mile from where it is at. He also owns equipment and says that it is in excellent shape. I have made the deal over the phone and will pick it up when the scrapper has the time to lower the bucket to the ground and remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 55

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Looks to be in bad need of cleaning up, a paint job, and a good going over. My brother that looked at it for me has been a tool and die maker and machinist for his entire life and he would know how to inspect it. When I go after the bucket I just might find other parts that I might can use.

I might even be moving dirt again shortly.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Forgot to mention that the D4 E is also down. It has an tilt cylinder out on the blade leaking. I picked up a new seal kit but it is just too hot to be fooling with it right now. It also has something wearing the inside of the right sprocket teeth pretty good. I am thinking maybe a broken bottom roller flange. I will get around to hoisting her up on the blade and checking it out before I need it again.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Great news, the bucket does not look too roughed up just a little neglected. Mind checking for cracks as you get it home and can turn it upside down. Teeth points and shanks appear to have been taken care of as opposed to many.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Brought the new/old bucket home today. It is in really good shape and I am lucky to have found it. It was less than fifty miles away. It is also the same bucket that was located and offered to me through another equipment company for $2800.00. I bought it direct from the owner for $1500.00.

Going to need some prep work and a dab of Cat yellow paint now. Better yet, I will install the bucket and let about ten to twelve hours of dirt work take the majority of the rust off as part of the prep.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Miller, locating that bucket is thanks to you. I acted on your tip about checking with Rock and Dirt. I advertised on the Rock and Dirt site for the bucket. Cobb equipment Co. in La Vergne TN. called me after seeing the add and said that he was parting out a 951-C with a good bucket. Thanks for the idea.

Thank you Ken on your help too. I will just locate my old bucket in the edge of the woods around here for maybe salvaging its teeth someday. The rest will end up as scrap someday, but no hurry to get rid of it just yet.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At times I can be helpful, or so the wife tells me!! Thanks for the notice NL. Good luck to you with the new shovel too.