• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Your local hose man may not have the tooling for the reusable ends but your Cat dealer will. If the ends are very old and rusty, they may not be reusable any more.

I personally think Cat hose prices are quite reasonable for an OEM. Why not give them a call and get a cost on the assembly, 6K7407.

Checking with SIS dealer here in NY lists that hose as being $135, but has note of "indirect Replacement, contact dealer". But when I checked the "8S9355" number it comes up with a new number of "1650021" and that one appears to be just the hose with no ends and list for about $1.10 per inch. So if your ends are reusable and will work on the 1650021 hose that might be the way to go, all depends on what your dealer charges for hose assembly.

One nice thing is that hose appears to have a straight fitting on one end, hate it when they put an angled fitting on both ends as a minor error on assembly can make a hose impossible to install. Now if you have a good hose man he will make a note of the curve of the hose and assemble it so the natural curve of the new hose is in the same direction as the old hose! I also like to have them make up a hose per the build dimensions in hose book and not try to measure the old hose as sometime measuring the old hose can be off a bit and if the hose is fairly short even a fraction of an inch difference can make installation a bitch!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply Ken. You are exactly right about the replacement hose and its natural curve. You are also right about the orientation of the bolt holes from end to end. I am thinking that if Cat has to make up the hose to order, I would be at least as well off having the local hose shop make it up if they have the proper tooling to reuse my ends.
I have just put on my cleanest dirty shirt and am headed out to remove the hose. The temperature is 78 degrees, beautiful weather for wrenching if wrenching cannot be avoided..

Dickjr.

Your hose job looks fairly straight forward. Just my .02 if the hose is easy to change , I would use after market. If its a 4 hour job to get to then a 4 hour job to remove then a better part of a day to replace , then I go to CAT. I got about an 80 hour run in the last 2 weeks on the 43 , the dang bell housing bolts are backing out. Went and got CAT bolts , they backed out as well after 50 hours. Today I got shouldered bolts , carb cleaner to clean the holes , locktite ( heavy duty) , I'm hoping to get at least 8 of the 12 replaced , locktite sealed and roll on. The little machine is doing a good job , burning 30 gallons in an 8 hour shift. I need to get some job pics to share. Current jobs were building a septic lagoon , demolishing 2 houses and bury concrete foundations , filling in pond and clearing some locust trees. I like the teeth for the locust trees to get the roots loosened up and in the air.

Welder Dave

Cat/Finning is getting away from the reusable ends here. I had the main hose from the pump on my 931 come apart because someone used a non Cat hose with Cat fittings and stuck a piece of plastic in for a shim. Of course I was in soft ground with the backhoe outriggers down. The hose had a couple ends that needed to be a specific angle so I added an additional swivel fitting on the bottom one because if it was off by a couple deg's would have been a nightmare to install laying under the machine in the 60 litres of oil it dumped.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dickjr. remember to go back over the area where the roots were next season when the sprouts come up with spray to knock the locust down. We use 2-4-D, Crossbow and Tordon as a mix all mixed together at the prescribed to water rate spraying total fields. Will not hurt the grasses but knocks the hell out of weeds, multiflora and locust, anything with thorns! Just have to catch during a growth spurt.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Well, I went out yesterday with the intention of removing that blown hydraulic hose. It was a beautiful morning, 70 degrees, sun shining and a slight breeze blowing. I looked at the Cat project and I eyeballed the truck. I have that new set of ramps but have not taken the time to actually put the jeep on the trailer and figure out a simple and quick way to tie it down to the trailer. I thought about laying on my back with hydraulic oil dripping on my face, removing the belly pan and then the hose. I also thought about standing straight up, no hydraulic oil and working on the truck/ jeep/ trailer. Guess which one won my attention for the day. No contest!

Today it rained and stormed all day. Tomorrow I have a doctor appointment and have to drive right by the Cat dealer to get there. I am thinking that I might be better off just picking up the complete hose, if they can do it while I wait, and that way I will have it on hand and ready to install when I remove the old one. Just one flatbacking oily day instead of two. If Cat can't accommodate me I know I can get it ready made from Off Road for $116.00. A local hydraulic shop may reuse my ends but then that is two trips to Nashville and two flatbacking oily days.

Dick, If I don't abuse the machine, I think that old 951-C can get by on 30 gallons of fuel running WOT moving dirt for eight hours, but not when digging stumps or that sort of work.

Attachments

• truck&jeep 004.jpg
    truck&jeep 004.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • truck&jeep 007.jpg
    truck&jeep 007.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • truck&jeep 010.jpg
    truck&jeep 010.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 193
  • truck&jeep 015.jpg
    truck&jeep 015.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 43

Dickjr.

After I get my bell housing bolts in I could ride down and swap the hose , I'll be greasy anyway. Even though I'd be in TN , it would feel like home with a fair amount of hydraulic oil dripping in my face. I have developed a taste for the higher grade oil though , none of the TSC stuff. It gives me heart burn. I bought a pair of the blue thin coveralls the other day. I tried them on and my kids said it looked like a big onsie they put on babies. That's ok , I'm saving my better clothes and when they ask for money Friday I'll put my onsie on and take them out to eat.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I really do hate to give out all of my red neck secrets but I will make an exception in your case Dick. The next time you go to Lowes or Wall Mart look in the paint department and pick up a few of the really thin clear plastic drop cloths. Next time you need to work underneath that old cat of yours just unfold that drop cloth and cover yourself with it, head, face and all. Then just run your arms through holes the plastic and crawl under. No more oil dripping on you now. When you are finished just dispose of the oily drop cloth, wash your hands and you are done. You don't even need to wash grease or oil from your face. You can also wrap yourself in the plastic to keep your back side from soaking up the oil if you need to lay in oil soaked ground. I loathe oil dripping into my eyes and ears! Make sure that you have a breathing hole.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
:p Been into that line of thought for a long time too! Do not always do so but does take some of the mess under control when I can use sheet plastic. I also use "Bond Avenue Creepers" a slight on when I used to work in the metro St. Louis arena and when necessary would scarf up on a old cardboard box to use as a ground cover and slip sheet I could scurry across on my stomach or back when working on such conditions. Fridge and freezer boxes always were the best!

Hobbytime

Well, I went out yesterday with the intention of removing that blown hydraulic hose. It was a beautiful morning, 70 degrees, sun shining and a slight breeze blowing. I looked at the Cat project and I eyeballed the truck. I have that new set of ramps but have not taken the time to actually put the jeep on the trailer and figure out a simple and quick way to tie it down to the trailer. I thought about laying on my back with hydraulic oil dripping on my face, removing the belly pan and then the hose. I also thought about standing straight up, no hydraulic oil and working on the truck/ jeep/ trailer. Guess which one won my attention for the day. No contest!

Today it rained and stormed all day. Tomorrow I have a doctor appointment and have to drive right by the Cat dealer to get there. I am thinking that I might be better off just picking up the complete hose, if they can do it while I wait, and that way I will have it on hand and ready to install when I remove the old one. Just one flatbacking oily day instead of two. If Cat can't accommodate me I know I can get it ready made from Off Road for $116.00. A local hydraulic shop may reuse my ends but then that is two trips to Nashville and two flatbacking oily days.

Dick, If I don't abuse the machine, I think that old 951-C can get by on 30 gallons of fuel running WOT moving dirt for eight hours, but not when digging stumps or that sort of work.
Nice looking set up!! on the 3rd pic it looks like something leaking on the ground under the winch area??? when ever someone is throwing out carpet, ill grab it and cut into usable pieces about 3 ft x 5 ft long, they are great for working on cold hard ground and soak up any oil that drips onto them, then out to trash when they are too mucky to use, or they are great fire pit starter with all the oil in them..lol

kshansen

Occupation
:p Been into that line of thought for a long time too! Do not always do so but does take some of the mess under control when I can use sheet plastic. I also use "Bond Avenue Creepers" a slight on when I used to work in the metro St. Louis arena and when necessary would scarf up on a old cardboard box to use as a ground cover and slip sheet I could scurry across on my stomach or back when working on such conditions. Fridge and freezer boxes always were the best!
I always referred to those sheets of cardboard as "Low profile creapers". And I like the idea of wearing the "onsie" when you know they are going to hit you up for some money!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
That is rain water on the ground below the winch. The water collects on the frame rail and then runs forward along the frame when the truck is turned downhill. It made me scratch my head the first time I saw it. I caught some of the liquid in a glass jar and was relieved to see that it was clear water.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Made the Dr. appointment this morning and stopped by Thompson Cat on the way home. They had the hose that I had ordered earlier this morning waiting at "will call". It looks good and the natural curve is in the right orientation. When I called Cat this morning they offered to use my old fittings for a savings of $70.00 IF they could remove them without damaging them. We all know that new is better so I bit the bullet and moved all in on this one.

Now I need it to warm up about twenty degrees and stop all of the raining so I can install the hose. I did find an easy way to secure the jeep to the trailer and at the same time secure the loading ramps to stop them from walking off from a Cracker Barrel Restaurant while I am having my Uncle Hershel's breakfast some morning.
new trax hose 001.jpg new trax hose 002.jpg new trax hose 003.jpg new trax hose 005.jpg

Hobbytime

That is rain water on the ground below the winch. The water collects on the frame rail and then runs forward along the frame when the truck is turned downhill. It made me scratch my head the first time I saw it. I caught some of the liquid in a glass jar and was relieved to see that it was clear water.
ok, thats better than engine fluids...long time ago when I worked at a chevy dealer, we use to play games with the used car guy and pour radiator fluid under the front of his car and he would drive the mechanics crazy about this phantom leak..each month we would change what was leaking..

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Those 9' aluminum ramps are expensive and will even bring good scrap $. Those four turn buckles are hooked to a short chain that protrudes from the floor of the trailer. The short chain runs through the centers of the ramps and are then hooked to the spindle cover lifting shackles on the jeep. Looking closer there is also a 1/2" locking cable on each ramp. We all know that someone with a battery powered 4 1/2 " grinder sporting a thin cutting wheel can overcome my theft protection system in less than five minutes and be gone with the ramps and anything else they care to haul off. Someone got the radiator cap off of my brother's 1932 Chevrolet fire engine in a restaurant parking lot last year after we left a WW-II re enactment and we thought that we were watching. Too bad that the water temperature in that radiator wasn't up to normal with a little pressure on it.

I just installed a key lock starter switch on the M929A-1 military truck that pulls the jeep and trailer. No military vehicle has a keyed starter switch unless someone replaced the original flip switch. The military installed a heavy chain and lock for the purpose of locking the steering wheel. The truck also has eyes and ears. Its four cameras see in all directions with high quality resolution. It is always recording and it runs in twelve hour loops whether I am around or not. Too bad that fire engine was not so equipped. Not fool proof but I have taken reasonable precautions. Now, I have got to quit playing around and concentrate on getting back to work on that hose so I can finish the digging and then I can have the building built to get the truck and all other toys under roof and out of the weather.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Hobbytime, did you happen to see the movie "Happy Days" where the next door neighbor bought the VW bug and began to brag about the gas mileage? Richie and the Fonz began sneaking over there after dark and adding gas to the VW tank. When the mileage bragging increased to a fantastic number they began removing gas each night on an ever increasing level. That cured the bragging on the VW mileage!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Up thread in post 1087, in picture #3 if you zoom in and look close you can see the forward looking camera below the hood handle, Just between the HIGH and the ROLLER. Zoom in on picture #1 and there is one just below the center of the license plate. Zoom on both side views and you can see rear looking cameras mounted just below the mirrors on top of each front fender. The 9"screen is mounted in front of the driver. It will show a single full view of any individual camera or a split screen for two or three camera views or a quad view for all four cameras.

Right turn signal on activates full screen right fender mounted rear looking camera and left signal on activates the left full view. Really handy for changing lanes and making turns. When the signals are off it defaults to the forward looking camera or the rear looking camera, drivers choice and can be alternated / changed with a touch of the remote control. Video from all four cameras are recording all of the time to a jump drive and can be played back at any time on screen or on any computer.

kshansen

Occupation
ok, thats better than engine fluids...long time ago when I worked at a chevy dealer, we use to play games with the used car guy and pour radiator fluid under the front of his car and he would drive the mechanics crazy about this phantom leak..each month we would change what was leaking..
Hobbytime, You are probably also one of those guys who when a mechanic has just finished installing the automatic trans in a car sneaks over and drops a spring on his bench for him to find.

Hobbytime

Hobbytime, You are probably also one of those guys who when a mechanic has just finished installing the automatic trans in a car sneaks over and drops a spring on his bench for him to find.
nah I wouldnt do that..just on the engine rebuilds I would put an extra head bolt on his table and then you can see the guy going over in his head if he left something out and then pull the valve covers to double check..too funny when watching..and most of the times the guy would say " someone is screwing with me" but he still double checked the bolts, then chase who ever did it around the shop ..but all was done in fun...