• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just an example, not knowing your saw model. From $15.00 to $45.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-STIHL-IGNITION-MODULE-COIL-4180-400-1308-HL100-HT131-HT101-FC-FS-KM-/271275371416

But do post some information on the saw and maybe someone can give you some ideas on how to check out the problem. Something a simple as a pinched wire could be all that is wrong with it, a little heat shrink tubing and it could be running like new. Also if you do post the model and other information on the saw I am on a couple small engine forums and I could see if anyone there has some input.

I too hate to toss out something that could be fixed. I just yesterday dropped off a cylinder block for a H70 7 horse Tecumseh engine at the machine shop to have the cylinder honed out to take a 0.010 over piston. Probably crazy as I could buy a new Harbor Freight 6.5 horse engine on sale for $100.00. I'll probably have that much into this engine by the time I do get it running and blowing snow again

Dickjr.

Its a STIHL 031 AV. The pull start recoil is missing and the plug is out of it. It turns over. From what I remember , the ignition went out and they kept telling me it wasn't worth fixing. I would like to fix it because my dad bought it new in the early 80s. I'll get some pics up asap. My concern now is the carburetor. Sitting for 25 years , what will that take to clean or would I be lucky enough to get it firing , get a pull start for it and it take off running?

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I understand what you are saying colson, but what we are doing here is trying to keep busy during the bad weather, rain, snow and icy conditions when there is so little to discuss about the heavy iron. When the weather breaks, there will be plenty to post on dirt work being done and the inevitable break downs and repair. Things are so dull over on Boone's thread that they are talking about cleaning out roots from a septic system. Miller has the old Alyce blues again and the forum is just trying to stay alive until spring. I have even considered that if this rain don't quit, I'ii be tearing down my alarm clock and trying to find out why it goes off three minutes early every morning! Right now I am in the middle of installing a four camera system on the five ton so that I don't run over anything with it. When I get that project finished I guess the only thing left to do is to oil and lube the mouse traps and wait for spring to come. You got anything more interesting going on that might distract us for a few days or weeks?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I understand what you are saying colson, but what we are doing here is trying to keep busy during the bad weather, rain, snow and icy conditions when there is so little to discuss about the heavy iron. When the weather breaks, there will be plenty to post on dirt work being done and the inevitable break downs and repair. Things are so dull over on Boone's thread that they are talking about cleaning out roots from a septic system. Miller has the old Alyce blues again and the forum is just trying to stay alive until spring. I have even considered that if this rain don't quit, I'ii be tearing down my alarm clock and trying to find out why it goes off three minutes early every morning! Right now I am in the middle of installing a four camera system on the five ton so that I don't run over anything with it. When I get that project finished I guess the only thing left to do is to oil and lube the mouse traps and wait for spring to come. You got anything more interesting going on that might distract us for a few days or weeks?
Well there was a good discussion in General Forums a few weeks ago about summer and winter air rotation in tires!

Dickjr.

I would just like to get my saw running again. Found an ignition kit to switch it to electronic for 20$ and a new carb priced anywhere from 30 to 90$. The engine turns over free. I am worried about it not having a spark plug in it , I didn't know it had been removed. It was stored in a dry shed. Found the regular coil type ignition for about 80$. I was gonna upload some pics but my laptop says its full. I usually transfer them from my phone to the computer which works easier for me.

Last edited:

colson04

Oh, I'm not trying to step on toes here, I just wanted to share another resource that I thought could be useful in diagnosing Dickjr. chainsaw.

As for me, I certainly wish I could be doing some dirt work like the rest of ya. I've got a lawn to take to final grade and spread topsoil on, some ditches that need reshaping and check dams placed , the driveway needs grading badly and before I know it, it'll be time to plant 60 acres of pasture. We're getting a mid winter thaw that is wreaking havoc on my newly installed driveway. Top 3 inches has thawed, but it's still frozen underneath so the water can't go anywhere. Just slop, everywhere. County roads, my fields, yard, driveway are all slop. The three days of rain we just had certainly didn't help that either. But, we're hanging drywall inside and hoping to start painting next week so that puts a smile to my face.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
We're getting a mid winter thaw that is wreaking havoc on my newly installed driveway. Top 3 inches has thawed, but it's still frozen underneath so the water can't go anywhere. Just slop, everywhere. County roads, my fields, yard, driveway are all slop. The three days of rain we just had certainly didn't help that either. But, we're hanging drywall inside and hoping to start painting next week so that puts a smile to my face.

Yea I hate it when we get a good freeze then a warm stretch with the ground froze it seals the water from soaking in an is a real mess. We are going though that here too!

colson04

Yea I hate it when we get a good freeze then a warm stretch with the ground froze it seals the water from soaking in an is a real mess. We are going though that here too!
Yeah, I'm just glad they delivered the drywall on Tuesday while things were still frozen. I don't think that delivery truck would have made it up there today. Supposed to stay above freezing here for the next week now

Dickjr.

We have had rain either all day , first thing in the morning or in the evening for the last 10 days , and its raining right now. I have a pond to build and 2 septics to do. I don't like too much moisture in the pond dam , and you can forget packing rock to a lateral line about 4 trips and its to the axle. I cleaned my tile floors Saturday and Sunday about 60 sq feet. Done it by hand with peroxide and baking soda , soak and brush then mop. Keep me occupied and gave me a decent back ache. Now I am a chain saw mechanic.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
After the floor job you should find the chainsaw job easy. If that saw was kept in the dry, I don't see how the missing spark plug would hurt the engine. Just put a few drops of oil in the dried out cylinder and install a new spark plug.

Dickjr.

I made a typo , that was 600 square feet I cleaned. Still raining , got a meeting in the morning about a drainage project , then Its saw repair time.

CavinJim

That sounds more like it, Dickjr--I was wondering why you were bellyaching about 60 square feet! Now 600... you need a :drinkup .

I think we all have the winter-time blues. I heard that Jan. 16 was "Blue Monday", the most depressing day of the year. The holidays are over, winter is getting long, sunshine is rare, and it's getting just warm enough to be mud. Though we've been so very dry that even after rain, 1/2" of ice, another inch of rain, it's still not hardly muddy! I had to traipse through the house today in the boots I had just worn outside--didn't even leave a trace. Hate to say it, but if we don't get more rain before June it's not going to be good. Unfortunately I still can't get out and work with the toys as I have my in-law's 50th anniversary celebration coming up and my "honey-do" list keeps getting longer....

Dickjr.

Oh I had a couple frosty beverages after cleaning. Now that I am getting seasoned somewhat , It seems that when the temp stays above normal like it has , we have rain through the winter. If it drops down to the low 30s for the high and the teens for the low , it seems the rain holds off even though its cloudy. And I believe the Ohio river has something to due with either holding moisture or dumping it on us. Work load is looking promising this year although nothing is in concrete yet. I've done the walk with the boots, I've mudded up the floors hence the cleaning. If I'm balls to the walls running at work I don't have time to clean , but times like these , why not. I'm a regular modern day Ethel. Makes the old lady happy when she's happy the world is a better place.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
dickjr and kshansen you guys sound like me!! I have been setting tile, grouting, getting the rest of the basement floor ready for laminate lay out, when I am not repairing fence, setting new fence, working on the Allis, then I have my regular job which has me jumping in 12 hour days/nights/weekends/holidays so as to make time not really available but too quick to pass too! Oh and I have a half dozen DEAD honey locust now that I need to drop then ring some more!! When I am resting!!

Almost forgot the slop here is horrid. Had been hard froze around two weeks then the warm spell hit, my 4-6" thick rock drive feels like a sponge when walk on it not working mud up but soft. The yard I do not dare to drive into with the pastures the cows feeding out there are walking hoof deep in soft crap. Going to be a interesting winter I do believe. Cold stuff should be getting here in a few weeks, always around the birthday MY birthday it gets cold enough to shudder the Owls. Then I will be back into inside projects and the bad day: 03/15 I get at least two new discs fixed(neck), installing manmade not fusing, possibly three. I tell you guys what I am sick of the aches and pains but glad I can still feel 'em! They stated I will be back to functional in less than four weeks after. After which I am going to try the retirement gig from my full time employer to get hard into these full time projects!

Last edited:

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Yeah DickJr, the Ohio river is a pretty good heat sink that buffers the weather pretty substantially. I live about 3 miles from the water and it will often cause the weather to split above and below it.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Here in Tennessee we have ridge lines that are weather breaks. Raining on one side of the ridge and dry on the other. Ice on one side and slop on the other.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Missouri is mostly foothills, no real tall ranges but we do have rivers and the valleys as the interstate 44 runs in, seems those make for great weather troughs.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Enjoyed the day with the 5 ton.

No rain today, the sun actually came out for awhile. I spent the day with the 5 ton. I got my decals put on the doors. That decal is a replica of the shoulder patch that I wore on my military uniform while I was stationed in Europe. I got four cameras installed, one in the front looking forward, one in the rear looking back and one on each front fender looking back down the sides. The camera records on a continuous 1,200 minute loop. I got everything greased and lubed on the truck as well as all preventative maintenance done.

Now I need to drive it to Walmart and buy a loaf of bread.
truck with decals 001.jpg

Might go by Lowes and buy a 2x4.
truck with decals 002.jpg

And then I might just drag up a chair, get me a beer, and look at it until dark.
truck with decals 003.jpg

Next project is to hook up the trailer and fab up some mounting brackets for the ramps so I can safely load the jeep on the trailer for parades.

Dickjr.

That's pretty sweet. Will it fit in a DQ drive thru or a car wash? Some guys have boys toys , this is a man's toy for sure. In other news , they announced on local news that the toll by plate would be sending out the first group of bills in the next few days. Maybe one day I'll get that Humvee and cruise it down that way. After looking at them even if you couldn't license it , it would make a slick off road fuel transfer truck.