• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That truck must have a stiff ride with all those springs and it looks like the rubber bumper on the frame is only a bit over an inch from the top of spring!

Hope the U-bolts are the only damage!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
The springs are flat all the way around. The truck does have a stiff ride, but then again, they were not made for comfort. As far as the hard life, it only has 6,000 miles on it. Load up 10,000 pounds on it and it probably will ride pretty smooth.

Ken, you just posted the 1,000th post on this thread!

Dickjr.

I noticed you were absent a couple days ago , figured you were getting it all hooked up so you could post some pics. The truck is 6 wheel drive ? It would be an excellent time to test it out in these wet conditions. You have amassed some pretty cool toys. I been looking at Humvee's on IP , found some selling in KY. 5 to 6 grand seems to be the price. I just wonder about the old V8 gm diesel engine in it. My daughter will be 16 next year , might be a good starter truck for her. If there's only 1 tree in a 100 acre field she can find the tree in short order. On a golf car.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
The truck!

Most of the Humvees that are auctioned by IP require that you sign a end use form attesting to the fact that you will not attempt to title the vehicle or use it other than off road. There are some being auctioned out of Albany Ga. That can be titled. Most have from 500 to 1000 miles on them and have air conditioning. They go from $13,000 to $45.000. If you want to bid on one to title and drive on the road, call first and make sure that the vehicle is worthy of a title and can be road legal. If so, and the inspection report is good, you can drive it home.

The truck is six wheel drive. I didn't dare to engage the front axle until I got those ubolts replaced. I had the ubolts made yesterday and I got the replacement done this morning. I ordered halogen headlights for it and expected them today but they didn't come. I am installing a backup camera on the truck now. It will have four cameras with a split screen capable monitor. The system will see forward, behind, and backwards down both sides. Art work is being done on the doors. They will display the patch that I wore in the Army while I was stationed in Europe. The patch will be 24" wide. The turn down on the front of the hood will display the lettering "HIGH ROLLER". My excuse is it it raining outside so I can't play in the dirt! I will see if I can post some pictures, My phone camera has been acting up so I am not sure if I can.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Art work for the truck doors and hood.

This is the patch for the doors.

USAEUR.png

This is the lettering for the hood. No I won't use the girl, just the text but not stacked as in the picture.

RIVETS-4.png

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Colson, I wouldn't mind using the entire logo, girl and all, but for it to fit on the hood turn down, I would need a bigger truck! I'll start looking for one tomorrow!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
What to do on a rainy day?

Well, if the rain don't let up then you just go with the flow!

saw repair 001.jpg

My saw got crushed when I was cutting up those large white oaks.
saw repair 002.jpg

I bought a donor saw off of Ebay to get the case parts that I needed'
saw repair 003.jpg

I got the donor Fed X
saw repair 004.jpg

Now, five hours later, she looks like a saw again.
saw repair 005.jpg

I saved enough money to order the new 9' x 15" aluminum ramps that I need to load my Jeep on the new trailer! They are ordered.

Dickjr.

If you get bored ride up , I'll keep you entertained for a few days , months . Bring your tools. Got a Super 55 Oliver I need the engine rebuilt in first off.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
****, it never gets boring around here, something always breaks. If it don't break on its own I somehow manage to tear it up. I use two chain saws. both are vintage. The McCulloch Pro Mac 55 is a 1970 model and that Homelite is about 1973. Total cost to repair that 330 was $34 including freight for the blown donor saw, less bar & chain, from California. I like those saws because they are strong runners, cut very well, and are all metal. Today I plan on using both of them to finish up the tree work that wrecked my saw two weeks back. Throw away plastic chainsaws cost better than $500 now days.

Dickjr.

I have my dads saw , its a Stihl early 80s vintage. It quit firing and no one will fix it. I even dropped the I don't care what it costs just fix it a couple times. After seeing this I know its got to have a life in it. Don't know the model right off but I'll get it tomorrow. I would be cool to have his saw fixed. I have a little project now.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have my dads saw , its a Stihl early 80s vintage. It quit firing and no one will fix it. I even dropped the I don't care what it costs just fix it a couple times. After seeing this I know its got to have a life in it. Don't know the model right off but I'll get it tomorrow. I would be cool to have his saw fixed. I have a little project now.

Is this a points ignition motor? Could just need points cleaned or replaced.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I still have a Poulan countervibe saw that still runs and services out. Only issue with the older saws is finding a donor for non-existent parts that has not eaten the ones needed.

Dickjr.

kshansen , nitelite the saw I have had ignition problems , I don't think its points. It used an early electronic system ( I think ) and I was told more than once it was not worth fixing because the parts are too high. That's kind of not the point , my dads been gone almost 17 years the saw has not ran for 25 or so. I'll get it out tomorrow and get some pics.

Labparamour

My dad had an old McCullough in the 70's. It weighed a ton.
But, I love my Stihl 026- light-weight and I'm happy with the power.
Something to be said for keeping the old stuff running (I have an unknown age plate compactor with an old Wisconsin engine).

DB

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
****, having the internet now days makes parts for older saws available. If you do a google search on that saw you will come up with a parts source. You can also troubleshoot the problem with the saw on the internet. I found my donor saw in California, bid $23 on it and paid $11 for shipping. I hate the other guy's saw blew up but it did not go to waste. Tax on a new plastic throw away chainsaw would have been more than I paid to fix my old saw.

Your problem could be as simple as the cut off switch not contacting. When you take that saw apart, take plenty of pictures to save a headache when you re assemble.

My father in law gave me that Homelite 330 when I was 23 years old. The man thought enough of me that he just thought that I might need a chain saw as I heated with wood at the time. He just went out and bought me that saw. He has been gone more than ten years now. I couldn't prevent his death but I can prevent the death of the saw and I am glad to do that. He was right, I did need the saw back then and I still do.