• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 795 electric drive trucks

Aussie John

Occupation
Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
Hi Oldtom, not at Newlands - at a site further south. Used to work at Newlands though back when it first started up in 1983.

cr500

So, what's the guess with the "super ultra class" 450 ton class trucks which have just been announced? Do you think Cat will make their version electric drive, or just boost up the 797F?

alco

I expect the 97 will just get rerated if its only to 450 ton. They haul almost that much in the oilsands as it is. Alco, note I said almost! Lol

Yeah, we kinda try to load 'em to about 450 as it is. I know, I know, there's the 10 10 20 rule, which of course, always gets followed.....but if the scales aren't working, then it's fair game....right?

cr500

Yeah, we kinda try to load 'em to about 450 as it is. I know, I know, there's the 10 10 20 rule, which of course, always gets followed.....but if the scales aren't working, then it's fair game....right?

so are you trying to load them to 450 ton, or 450 tonne?

ben46a

Going out on a limb and assuming that its Ton, I doubt very much that caterpillar has a metric option for the payload system, if so we never discussed it when whe did commisioning. But like I said I'm assuming and you know what that does!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
To switch from Metric to US measurements or vice versa on a VIMS-equipped Cat truck just hit the keys U N (8 6) plus <OK>.
Easy way to see what units the truck is using at the time is to check if the digital speedometer in the centre of the dash is showing MPH or km/h.

alco

so are you trying to load them to 450 ton, or 450 tonne?

That would be tons, not tonnes.

Like Nige mentioned, it's as easy as pushing a few buttons to change the units of measurement, but we run off of imperial measure.

ben46a

To switch from Metric to US measurements or vice versa on a VIMS-equipped Cat truck just hit the keys U N (8 6) plus <OK>.
Easy way to see what units the truck is using at the time is to check if the digital
speedometer in the centre of the dash is showing MPH or km/h.

Oh I knew that, I guess it just never clicked in my brain that it would affect the payload system either. DOH! Been a couple years since I've had to mess with VIMs though!

alco

Nige, the target's 395 with the rubber we run on them. I don't trust the scales no matter what they say. One trip you can have dirt spilling over 3 sides of the box and they only register 320, the next run, they say it's 500, and you only have 2 buckets on them. Or, in most cases, they aren't even working. They don't have to dump in pit until 474, so anywhere between 400 and 450 and management is happy. Truthfully, we try to aim for around 420 or so, but like I said, they can't keep the scales working, so it's all fair game. Honestly, my paycheque doesn't change no matter what's on the truck, so I'll load them however management wants.

Nige

Hurts me to say this as a maintenance germ but the Maintenance Dept want shooting ....... on the site where I'm working at the moment we have a maximum measured difference of 3% between the on-board scales and off-board, and usually the difference is around only 1%. Sometimes the system does go tilt (as you commented) but on average it's less than 1% of cycles. I keep a close watch on these numbers believe me - my credibilty rides on it.

The payload system is one of the most reliable systems out there and there is no excuse for it not to work - and work reliably and accurately. Years ago (over 10) down in Chile we developed a new procedure for charging suspensions in order to remove a lot of the inaccuracies in the system that we were seeing typically when tyre companies came in to do scale studies. The procedure was adopted and is now published in SIS. It's so simple now to charge a strut a 10-year old kid could do it. On average it takes us about 2 hours to completely discharge (oil + gas) & recharge 4 struts on a truck.

alco

Nige, our "lack of maintenance department" has way bigger issues to deal with than a bunch of frills like scales working or not.....lol. Not all their fault, but I can't go into details on a public forum.

Believe me when I say, scales are the least of their concerns right now. And no, the issues have nothing to do with the stresses imposed by overloading.

Ross

Leave the loading upto the shovel driver IMO.

Some of the 930E's are only using one IGBT per PP due to the tsunami parts shortage so they won't propel if overloaded. Great for the truck.

KAL Tire come in with SMS and weigh the trucks loaded and empty, then calibrate the pay loader. This is essential for the Dispatch / Wenco mining system that records every load.

Having trouble with tradesman there Brian? Only gonna get worse if Suncor Wins at the Supereme court !

alco

No, that's not the problem Ross. We are short, but that's not what's causing the issues. Also, it would get better for us if Suncor wins, we'd be fully staffed with the folks leaving there....though, who would want people who can't pass random drug tests?

Ross

No, that's not the problem Ross. We are short, but that's not what's causing the issues. Also, it would get better for us if Suncor wins, we'd be fully staffed with the folks leaving there....though, who would want people who can't pass random drug tests?

Na what I ment was: Open the flood gates for every company to push this in.

They don't call it 'Fort Crack' for nothing ha ha. Trance amounts of anything could be concidered a fail apparently.

And no, People who are drunk / Stoned at work not only should be canned, but beaten up on there way out!

Nige

And no, People who are drunk / Stoned at work not only should be canned, but beaten up on there way out!
Hear, hear. And so say all of us .........

I still remember the old days when as a foreman/supervisor/whatever you could actually take some recalcitrant mechanic behind the workshop and beat the living s**t out of him before firing him for pulling a stunt like that. And best of all you'd get an attaboy from the Boss .... :D:D

blitz138

I was doing my sites a couple weeks ago at a mine in Nevada. 18 guys including myself were there, the first thing they did was a drug screen, there were only 2 of us in the safety class. I was shocked! You would think contractors and new hires in Nevada would have some clue....... guess not

Gavin84w

Used to have fun with operators over the radio about VIMS, used to toggle the language at shift start and then get them to say exactly what was on the screen when something come up, pi$$ funny sometimes when they tried to explain. Used to crack me up just like when you ask them the hours on a machine and they read out something like 12345.1, amazes me they always do the point 1 or what ever, round enough is good enough.