• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299D3 xe with a HM418c mulch head

Sawhorse

I just recently purchased a new 299d3 xe land management package directly from Cat , with the HM418c mulch head running the standard carbides , I have about 150hrs mulching time on the machine and I have a squeal from the belt drive on the head. I tried to Center the belt but it seems to just roll to the side ( inside ) as it rotates and once the head is working and gains some temperature it squeals as I I mulch , free wheel the head and it does not squeal only while Erving up rpm’s and as I work it. Any thoughts or tips/tricks I can do to rectify this noise ? Seems to work fine and get the job done but squeal the entire time unless I’m free wheelin with no work load on it ! Thank you for any input

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
As you say its a "New " package did you have the dealer come look at it? they have many resources and as its new should work as described

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
What type of belts are you running?

heymccall

Its just a cog belt. You may find that slightly overtightening the belt tension, tightening the inboard hex bolts, then slightly loosening the Allen bolts a bit may help.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I'm guessing it will be a carbon fiber belt and have zero tolerance on misalignment, even the shafts must be parallel at all times. When the bearings wear is enough to cause the belt some grief. If it was my machine it would be going back to the dealer to be checked out. At 150 hours it should be running properly.