• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299D3 XE not sure whats going on

searcyfarms

2020 year and running on hi flo with Vail Extreme Mulcher

Engine seemed to kind of surge but I think it might have been pulsing hydraulics loading the machine, a little jerky movement. I was in turtle mode max at 16

After 30 seconds and what seemed to be derated power/hydraulics beacuse it would barely move, I kicked off the mulcher and it popped up a triangle with exclamation point. It woudl only run about 2000rpm I turned the engine speed down to idle, checked diagnostics, no codes.

I turned it off/restarted with the aux hydraulics off, and it was surging in fwd trying to get off the job site.

I made it to my house from the neighbors ( my job site ) had to shut it off 3 or 4 times in a 1/4 mile becaue it just didnt have power to go with the hydraulics. Out of those 3 or 4 times it beeped a couple times and the Triangle Exclamation point came back but then turned off the last time and I drove to the shop and shut it off again. Now sitting still if I run up the rpm and kick on the mulcher head it will spin up for about 30 seconds and then its like the hydraulics hit a second gear and it loads the motor and will stall if you were to keep the button pressed for aux hydraulics.

any thoughts since I do not get any codes ?

The vail mulcher spins up ok and doesnt make any funny noises but when what i am thinking is some valve in the hydraulics opens for maybe high flow thats when it wants to stall.

its full of hydraulic fluid, no funny noises

Per Eriksson

Fuel issue causing engine to loose power?
Do you have ET or something like that to connect and check values and codes?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Do you have ET or something like that to connect and check values and codes?
I thought he had an Advanced Display from the "any thoughts since I do not get any codes ?" question.

Fuel, or lack of it, would be my first thought. A S/No would help so we can look more closely at the actual fuel system - 8 different models of 299D3 XE to choose from.

searcyfarms

I dont know what ET is? I do not hv anything that will read cat codes - my s/n is attached - im going to do more troubleshooting tomoro - plans are to remove high flow plug and test - remove mulcher and test machine by digging in dirt with bucket - my display says no codes when i go into diagnostics screen

Attachments

• 20240307_064755.jpg
    20240307_064755.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
No i was thinking about getting a new fuelfilter - it just had pm2 service completed with new filters about 100 hours ago
I would first suggest to open the water drain on the bottom of the filter and see what you get out.
After that, and of you're going to install a replacement fuel filter anyway, remove the filter head and the fittings for the fuel lines. Inspect everything to make sure it's clean and that one or more passages are not blocked up with cr@p.

1709857412210.png

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I think those D3's all have the advanced display. The parts lookup for the op's serial appears to show the display, but I don't know if my parts access is deep enough to be sure. Maybe a picture of the display monitor in the upper right of the cab?

searcyfarms

You fellas were right it was not hydraulic but engine related it blew the tube off for the turbo the one in the engine bay I hv pic on other phone will update later

Thx for all the help I hv a spare fuel filer and extra 5gal hydro fluid I did drain fuel filter B4 I saw tube off