1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 216B with Perkins 3024 Failure

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by MiJo, Nov 24, 2017.

1. MiJo

MiJo New Member

First time posting on this great site. I have a 2006 216b that unfortunately experienced a catastrophic engine failure at only 346 hours. Even though its a 2006 it has very low hours. I was working the machine which developed an unusual slight ticking sound which quickly developed to a hard knock in seconds resulting in engine stall before I could shut down. From what I can gauge from a quick (disheartening) inspection, I threw a rod off of the crank which piled against the block in the number 4 cylinder cracking the block just above the oil pan....FML. So now I need to pull this engine out. One of my first questions I need to ask is there a way to disengage/bypass the hydraulics to push this machine the 100 feet into my shop. Every where I have read seems to state there is no hydraulic release valve or anything and people just move the dead machine slowly with brute force...In my situation i would likely have to push it with my excavator. Any help with this would be appreciated!
    I went down to the Local CAT shack to see if there is any chance they can throw some good will my way with at least a replacement block or something like that. They stated they will get back to me. Im not holding my breath but with that low hours I guy sure can hope! They stated a new replacement engine would be $11K Canadian....

2. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

ouch! another perkopillar bites the dust. I'd drain the hyd system, and pull the hoses off the motors. Oil eill be lost, but better outside the shop, than in...:eek:

3. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

I don't know if that engine counts as a Perkapillar, it is made for Cat by Perkins and it is made by Perkins for IHI Shibaura and they seem to be pretty good engines but stuff happens from time to time. They may also be license built, never can tell any more.

4. Tractorguy

Tractorguy Well-Known Member

I just finished a Perkins in a Asv Rc 50 and it was around 13k out the door. Is there no machine around to push/pull it. Is this a track or tire machine?

5. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    There are countless numbers of these engines that have experienced catastrophic failure. It is what they do.

6. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

7. DIYDAVE

DIYDAVE Senior Member

ASV RC 50 is a mid sized rubber tracked loader...

8. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    The easiest way to drag your excavator is to remove the bolts on the sprockets and let them slip on the hub and no they won't come off if you are carefull but no splita$$ turning. This way you maybe able to remove the engine leavening the pumps hooked up. :)

9. MiJo

MiJo New Member

Hello Steve, Im not getting any warm and fuzzy feelings from my local CAT shack. Im very interested on who you contacted in "Corporate". Dou you happen to have an email address or phone number or even traditional post address? I would like to pursue this issue but make sure Im pointed in the right direction. It seems the more I look into it the more failures I see with these motors...

10. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I went to the Cat website and somewhere on it there was a contact form to fill out. I wasn't getting any help from the dealer initially but within a week of writing Corporate the dealer called me and wanted me to come in to talk. Apparently my email had gotten to someone pretty high up the food chain and they rattled the cage at the dealer, they bent over backwards to help me after that.

11. MiJo

MiJo New Member

Thanks Steve! Im going to search the web site today and see if I can get any kind of help.

12. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    There were lots of issues on those engines right from the start. I remember some kind of policy on them where the costs of replacement were shared. It has been a long time since those machines came out but maybe you will get lucky.

13. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I have a friend who bought a 236B and the motor blow in the first 200 hours. He got it replaced but it was a dog fight. At this point, I would really be surprised if CAT does anything, just given the age of the machine. It was hard for CAT to not do something when the machines were newer, but the older they get the easier it is for them to walk away from them.

14. MiJo

MiJo New Member

Just thought I would post an update. I had a technician perform a CAT ET diagnostic on my skid steer to determine if there was any indicators or symptoms leading to the engine failure. The diagnostic scan came back clean with no evidence of a problem which would have caused this failure. The only thing that the diagnostic really confirmed was that there is only 300 + hours on the machine. I have since forwarded this diagnostic scan to Corporate CAT. As such, the local CAT sales man contacted me and wants to meet up to take some pictures of my skidsteer. Hopefully they will throw a little good will my way and restore some of my faith in CAT. Fingers crossed....