• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 14m 597-3 597-14

Hello,
New here, was searching for info online and came across this forum and it seemed like a knowledgeable group of folks. Ive been away from mechanics for a few years as a maintenance electrician, just getting back into heavy equipment repairs, so im a little rusty. Anyways:
Got a 2013 Cat 14m screaming alarms one is for a 597-3 Main hydraulic pump discharge pressure sensor: voltage above normal, and another for E192-3 Steering malfunction. Now, both inner steering cylinder pin holes are severely worn out, and i believe that may be causing the steering sensors to freak out as the wheels go either which way, and am working on repairing that.
The Main Hydraulic pump discharge pressure sensor, Id like to look at it, but cannot find its location on Sis2.0 or in the book anywhere. Its been a while since ive been on Sis2.0, but it isnt laid out very logically. CAT ET gives you a generic description on how to troubleshoot the sensor but no location.......So does anyone know the location of the sensor, lol. Im spinning my head around trying to find it in the book/Sis2.0
Thanks,

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Start with a Serial Number. Everything else follows from that. The electrical schematic will show sensor locations.

The wallowed out bores (known issue) for the inner steering cylinder pins will most probably be the cause of the E192 Event. They can be bored out and sleeved or there is a replacement plate available that is made from stronger steel that can be used. Look for Service Mags on the front axle.

Nige

On second thoughts. The electrical schematic is a pdf document. Download a copy to your laptop/PC and find the pump pressure sensor on it. Right next to the sensor name on the schematic will be the Part Number. Search SIS for the P/N and it should take you to a half-decent parts listing illustration showing the physical location on the machine.

Excellent! I was just looking in the wrong place. I never looked at the schematic section, as i thought it would just be a flat electrical schematic, as opposed to a 3d picture with locations.
Thanks! found it

Nige

There should be detailed troubleshooting procedures for both 597-3 & 597-14 (although I suspect the -14 might be a consequence of the -3) in the troubleshooting section. If not search for just 597 from the main page without using a S/N and get to it that way. The procedure should pop up for some flavour of M Series grader, they’re all pretty much alike.

I immediatly found the issue for 597 once i located the sensor. The wires to the sensor are worn clean down to the copper from rubbing on a hose. Thanks again. : )

Nige

Back to your E192 Event and the wear in the plate on the front axle causing slop in the steering cylinder pins. Below a photo of what we did on our 16Ms, bored out the hole and shrunk in a sacrifical sleeve as indicated by the screwdriver. The Cat fix was to replace the entire plate that carries those two bores with one made from material with "higher mechanical properties" (but still with no wear sleeve in it) as shown by the second illustration. The former plate was a completely different shape so it's easy to tell if you have the new type plate or not.

1698136585639.png1698136692889.png

The Pat Number of the updated plate for a 14M is 340-0423. I can't find the installation instructions for that Part Number but I do have the them for the 340-0424 Plate on a 16M. See attached.

Attachments

• REHS8757-01 - 16M Replacement Strg Cyl Brkt.pdf
    412.2 KB · Views: 1
Is there an individual part number for that ball and sleeve, or is it only part of the full plate? I couldnt find it in the book, my parts orderer couldn't find it either, he's supposed to be contacting cat and getting back to me.

Nige

Is there an individual part number for that ball and sleeve, or is it only part of the full plate? I couldnt find it in the book, my parts orderer couldn't find it either, he's supposed to be contacting cat and getting back to me.
The sleeves were manufactured in our on-site machine shop so you won't find a number in any Parts Manual. All this is a number of years ago. The photo was taken before the "factory approved fix" of replacing the entire plate was available and was what we had to do at the time to refurb the bore in the plate. What we came up against, and I'm sure you will be finding the same, is that when you go to install a replacement 2D-8652 Bearing the new one falls straight through the hole.....

IIRC we had the sleeve made with a 1/4" wall thickness. It was a shrink-fit in the plate (we used liquid nitrogen) and the spherical bearing was a press-fit in the sleeve once it had been installed in the plate.

To double-check the Part Number of the spherical bearing for your 14M would need the machine Serial Number. The bearing is supplied separately and does not come as part of the modified plate.

It was under the "powertrain" dropdown instead of "frame" dropdown. To me, it would make more sense to be under the frame dropdown. Steering under the Powertrain makes zero sense to me. Sort of like the electrical schematic section having a 3d picture of the sensor locations, wouldnt have guessed, schematics to me are 2d flat representations.

I found it by typing the bearing part number. So, from here on out, i just have to look where i think it wont be, lol