• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 140M B9D00843 Slow hydraulic function

Hello Im looking for some help trouble shooting a hydraulic fault on a 140M serial B9D00843,
The issue I have is the all hydraulic functions operate perfect when the grader is first started cold for around 15 minutes
then all of the functions associated with the Front Valve bank (above front axle) start to slow down, while the functions that run of the rear valve bank (in front of cabin) remain at the same speed, I have been using the blade slide ram as go to for cycle times, when the machine is first started it seems to cycle in 8 seconds (full in to full out at idle) after about 15 minutes this can be up to 25 seconds or more, But if I turn the grader off and then restart after 30secs is will cycle back at 8 seconds and then proceed to slow down again after 1 - 3 minutes

It is the same on all functions on the front valve bank, wheel lean, blade lean , blade rotation, blade slide etc
Loading other functions doesnt seem to make a difference

Any ideas ?

Im guessing it will have a priority feed to the main functions ? Steering & blade lower etc ?

Thanks any help would be great - Jason

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Suggestions:-

1. Download a Product Status Report in pdf and post it here.
2. Do you have any Active Diagnostic Codes or Events.?
3. Erase all Logged Codes/Events.
4. Run the machine and see what comes back again that you erased previously in Step 3.

Hi thanks for reply

1. attached a screen shot if thats ok ?
2. Yes
2160-5 Blade lift Solenoid LH 24 events in 2 hours
2161-5 Blade lift Solenoid RH 24 events in 2 hours
2162-5 Blade lower LH 24 evets in 2 hours
2163-5 Blade lower RH 24 events in 2 hours
615-14 Artic Angle sensor 1 event in 2 hours
2252-14 Artic Angle sensor #2 1 event 2 hours

274-3 Atmospheric Sensor ( I have a replacement )

271-3 Alarm - voltage above normal 2 events in 2 hours

Attachments

• 140M codes.jpg
    140M codes.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 6
We have identified that the 4 codes related to blade lift and lower solenoids go away when the Topcon GPS is removed from the machine (unplugged)
2160-5 Blade lift Solenoid LH
2161-5 Blade lift Solenoid RH
2162-5 Blade lower LH
2163-5 Blade lower RH

However this does not fix the original problem we have which is that all of the functions that run off the front valve bank reduce in speed after around 15mins of running time

Nige

Can you get the software Part Numbers from all the ECMs please.
Also can you take a look at the Implement ECM and check if it has an adjustable setting for the viscosity of the hydraulic oil. If it does have this parameter, is it set to correspond to the grade of oil you are actually using.?

If the four Diagnostic Codes disappear when the Topcon is unplugged then I would suggest to leave it disconnected for now. As you say it appears as though there may be at least two separate problems.

How many total hours are on the machine.?

Last edited:

Nige

Yes I will get the ECM Part Numbers , Will I find these on CAT ET system ?
Sorry if I confused you. I was looking for the software Part Number for each ECM.
Go into the Configuration screen for any given ECM and you will see a parameter "Personality Module Part Number". This is the P/N of the operating software for that ECM.
Then select "Change ECM" and go to each one in turn.

See the first video around the 2:50 mark. Also check out the 2nd video for how to create a Product Status Report. This is really useful when you are doing diagnostics because it basically downloads all the info from the mahcine in one file. The Adobe pdf document for your 140M could easily run to 20 pages.

Quick update on this 140M with Hydraulic Issues, After removing and inspecting the main Hyd Pump it was decided to order a reman replacement pump, the used pump was slightly worn and had marking on the swash plate which we assumed could have been making it stick at full stoke, but it wasn't bad & had not failed as such, the new pump came with a regulator as well which ticked another box, at the same time the L/S circuit relief valve was replace & the L/S shuttle / Ball Valve replaced, The CAT dealer also advised to check the front valve bank L/S return port for debris, there is a very small orifice in the front valve bank that can some times get blocked, the Machine has done around 10 hours now with no issues, so I hope this continues