• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 140G Starting Issues- How to use the Dump valve when starting?

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
Director of Small-scale Mining, Transport, Plant
My Cat 140G arrived few weeks ago.
It has hardly worked so far with so many teething problems.
-First few days it worked the batteries kept running low and engine wouldn't start so we kept changing batteries.
-Operator complained of No acceleration but engine could be revved on fuel pump.
-Got a mechanic to take a look. He changed alternator and accelerator cable and showed operator the dump valve release lever on the floor of the cab to be depressed when starting engine. Apparently it lifts the hydraulic load of the engine. It's the first time I came across such a system but it works. Maybe these were standard on older CAT140Gs like mine. Anyone has experience with these?
-The Accelerator issue continued until I took another mechanic up to the grader and he found that below the cab there is a housing where the pedal, lever and cable meet and are linked by by a pin and fork. The keyway on the pin was worn and had been welded before and welding gave in causing the fork to move without the pin at times. Had it removed and sorted. That fixed the acceleration issues.
The machine worked for another day and half and now won't start. Apparently has a dead swing and even swapping batteries were no good. So I am going to have a look tomorrow.
Hope it is something small.
This 140G engine sounds good but it has hardly worked for more than a day at a time with all these issues.
The Mitsubishi MG460 also arrived and worked since the last 2 days trouble free.

Last edited:

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Yes the old graders had a hydraulic dump. It was pretty handy for old weather starting. I've seen some that would just about kill the motor when letting off of it. One old blade I would have to leave it run for a minute or two and make sure i throttled up before releasing it

Are you turning off the master power switch when shutting that down? That could keep from draining the batteries.

Good luck on the old critter.

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
Thanks George for the confirmation. The problem at hand now was a loose starter wire. Sorted .
The operator has not been turning off the main cut off. I will make sure he does that now.
I noticed that he forgets to use the dump valve at times. Can this cause damage?

DPete

Mount a 4lb hammer to a pivot in the roof of the cab and tell him that every time he fails to use the dump valve the business end will fall right on his cranium .............:D:D
This is the correct method;) how hard is it to depress the plunger with your heel? Makes it a lot easier on the starter.

CAT920 Driver

Occupation
That is the correct way indeed! Its not hard at all, it's just lazy African operators. I will certainly try it!

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Looks like you got lots of input on this subject hehehe. Yeah it is a lot easier on the motor..