• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case CX330 - No Start

Aubrey Phillips

Looking for some info on a case cx330. A friend of mine just bought it and the company he bought it from said they could start it on either and it would run on it’s on but gradually it got worse and got to where it would turn over but not start. It seems it could be an electrical issue like computer is not controlling the load & unload solenoids on Caps injection pump but computer could be bad. Is there a list of codes for this machine to check? I’m going out to take a look at it later this week. Has anybody ran into this before? Thanks in advance

- He does have good fuel flow to the injection pump.
- It does have new batteries

Serial #DAC331429

Last edited:

C9021

Occupation
Business
These are very rugged machines and only control to the engine is the throttle motor that turns the lever on the diesel pump. At least in older machines that I have recently familiarized myself with, so there might be more electronics involved in newer ones.

In overall, Diesel engine will run if there is a) fuel, b) air and c) compression.
a) Check that the throttle linkage is working near the diesel pump. You can also carefully open (loosen) a nut on top of the injector while cranking to see if you get any fuel there - tighten back immediately.
b) Check that air filter is not fully clogged and there are no foreign objects in air pipes (cooler if you have one)
c) Does the engine sound normal? You can check the compression with compression tester by unplugging glow plugs.

I'm afraid my guess would go to c) - bad compression.

Regards,
Samuel

Aubrey Phillips

These are very rugged machines and only control to the engine is the throttle motor that turns the lever on the diesel pump. At least in older machines that I have recently familiarized myself with, so there might be more electronics involved in newer ones.

In overall, Diesel engine will run if there is a) fuel, b) air and c) compression.
a) Check that the throttle linkage is working near the diesel pump. You can also carefully open (loosen) a nut on top of the injector while cranking to see if you get any fuel there - tighten back immediately.
b) Check that air filter is not fully clogged and there are no foreign objects in air pipes (cooler if you have one)
c) Does the engine sound normal? You can check the compression with compression tester by unplugging glow plugs.

I'm afraid my guess would go to c) - bad compression.

Regards,
Samuel
Yea, so it will crank with a hint of either & engine runs good, don’t believe it’s low compression. They were starting it on either then it would run fine rest of the day so I was told. But now it won’t stay running after it starts on either.

I was able to go by yesterday afternoon and check some things. We are getting very good fuel flow to the injection pump. I do know that the Cummins computer is putting out the 5v signal to all sensors. In the Case literature it states that engine temp, oil pressure & intake manifold temperature sensors will derate injection pump & shut it down if they are not reading correctly or there’s a failed sensor. Trying to find some info on those sensors to check them out & see t what they are showing. There’s two cam sensors it appears & I wandering if I have one of those acting up.

Any 8.3 liter Cummins with Caps Injection pump gurus on here?

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Those CAPS fuel pumps are CRAP just to put it politely. Are those the only codes that are showing? I worked on one, when I worked for dealer here in Northeast AR that broke the cam in the IP and was only pumping fuel on one plunger. Machine hard to start and now power, just some food for thought.

Aubrey Phillips

We narrowed it down to the computer on the engine, We tried hooking up to it with INSITE and could not communicate with it. checking live data on the case computer we found engine computer was showing 900 rpm and code 0433 with everything unhooked from engine and still could not communicate with it. Ordered a new Reman Cummins computer and they are programming it today so we should know this weekend once I can reinstall everything back on engine.