• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 850 D - Steering Problems

ms0115

Case 850 D
Serial # - JAK0002723
After running about 30 minutes the left track when turning will stick in neutral position for a few seconds after releasing the pedal. Then it will catch and will push and operate strong until you apply the brake again. Any ideas on where to begin? I have an old service manual, this problem is not in the trouble shooting section. Thanks for any advice on where to begin.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
OK first of all you are steering it wrong, you should steer with shift levers. The declutch valve in the transmission control valve is probably sticking.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Here is a pic of the two declutch vaves mentioned by Coy..... @ms0115 you ARE using hydraulic oil in the brake master cylinders & NOT brake fluid??
850 trans control valve.gif

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
We didn’t use the foot pedals on our G for a year because they were sticking. Ended up spraying penetrating oil on the linkages several days in a row to free them up. Still don’t use the brakes very often as you are supposed to steer with the levers. Good luck with it.

ms0115

Thanks for the help. To start with this is a neighbor's machine, not sure how he is operating it. He brought it by my shop to see if I could help him with this problem. I put brakes on it about 3 years ago. He had 1 slave cylinder leaking and had been contaminated with brake fluid. I changed both slave cylinders and master cylinders at that time. Where is the declutch valve located?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Thanks for the help. To start with this is a neighbor's machine, not sure how he is operating it. He brought it by my shop to see if I could help him with this problem. I put brakes on it about 3 years ago. He had 1 slave cylinder leaking and had been contaminated with brake fluid. I changed both slave cylinders and master cylinders at that time. Where is the declutch valve located?

They are located on the front of the transmission control valve, remove floor plate & maybe the seat & mounting plate.
If it has had brake fluid in the system, the seals will be shot.
There is a quad ring (22) on the piston (21) & a couple of lip seals (20&14).
Maybe a good idea to go for genuine parts but not absolutely necessary.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
There is a line that goes from the slave cylinder to the front of the TCV that is where the declutch valves are located. Loosen and remove the banjo bolts (be careful not to loose the seal washers) remove the spools and change the seals. Reverse process to reassemble.

ms0115

Thanks for all the input,located the the valve yesterday. Ordering parts Monday and will post an update later.

ms0115

Coy,
Got a break down and part number out of an old manual and looking at it I do not understand how the 3 lip seals can hang the spool when there is a mechanical lever to push and pull. Are there seals that I am not seeing in this break down? Or could the spring on that spool for the cut out be broken? What am I missing? Thanks for he help.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
If you look at the parts break down of the TCV item #6 actuates item#5 you will have to remove the front cover of TCV to get to declutch spools and seals.

ms0115

Coy,
Received the parts, took the front of the valve off. The quad seals were bad, but the dealer sent me 4 regular o rings to replace these square cut quad seals. Will these work?

I just picked up a older case D-850 with a drott clamshell bucket that i am assuming is a 4 in 1 and ripper minus the ripper attachment that needs all the undercarriage replaced and all new filters and head gasket as it blew the head gasket on start up when trying to load it on my trailer needing advice on fixing it up and where to find parts locally in alaska (anchorage-wasilla area ) from what i have found the lever to the left of the track controls is a hi and low speed what way is hi and what way is low ?

Any help on the year dont know how to decode the info tag

Attachments

• 1DB71EBE-0071-4B54-82CE-8383A911D096.jpeg
    1DB71EBE-0071-4B54-82CE-8383A911D096.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • F45B7058-AFD0-40F6-BDDC-C27BF59AF69A.jpeg
    F45B7058-AFD0-40F6-BDDC-C27BF59AF69A.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • C96BFDAB-928B-43B5-AF3B-B27D34D60703.jpeg
    C96BFDAB-928B-43B5-AF3B-B27D34D60703.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • E1A9D977-FE60-4794-9758-A6F7FAF54A56.jpeg
    E1A9D977-FE60-4794-9758-A6F7FAF54A56.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 21

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey nice looking loader there. As far as engine parts you might find them online. I’m sure others here will share some sites. I like Conequip. com and brokentractor.com.
The hi/lo range shifter I’m not sure which way is hi but I believe it’s up.
As far as local sources I’d try your local parts store like NAPA.
On the track issue I’d try online if you don’t have a local or in state track dealer.

Hey nice looking loader there. As far as engine parts you might find them online. I’m sure others here will share some sites. I like Conequip. com and brokentractor.com.
The hi/lo range shifter I’m not sure which way is hi but I believe it’s up.
As far as local sources I’d try your local parts store like NAPA.
On the track issue I’d try online if you don’t have a local or in state track dealer.

Ok thank you

When checking the trans fluid under the seat on the 850 track loader do you check it while the motor is running or when its turned off ?
I checked it once i got it home as it will go forwards and backwards and only wants to turn if you use the brake and mess with the levers and after a little bit you can get it to turn ( brakes are non working to boot ) there wasn't any thing on the dipstick