1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 650 k stranded!!!!

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by precision dirt, Jun 18, 2017.

1. precision dirt

precision dirt Well-Known Member

machinist, fabricator and owner of precision dirt
    Hey guys it's been awhile but needing some help. My case 650 k all the sudden won't move and is stranded in the middle of nowhere. Starts up with no fault codes when put in forward of reverse it flashes F or R just like it does when park brakes are set. Have checked brake prox switches, shift solenoids, fuses and connectors and even behind dash and have found nothing. The one thing that I noticed is park brakelight on dash will not come on when p brake is applied. It seems like it thinks park brake is on I'm just not sure where to look next. Any ideas?

2. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

My name is Brian, and I'm a workaholic.
    I know nothing about that particular machine, but one thing to try would be remove battery cables for an hour or so and see if a soft code might be causing it? A hard code won't reset, but might get it moving so you can get it somewhere more convenient? Just a thought.

3. precision dirt

It has a battery disconnect that was cut off over night so let's hope that's it. Just crawled off the 977L gonna go see what I find this morning.....thanks shimmy

4. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

My name is Brian, and I'm a workaholic.
    Any update?

5. precision dirt

sorry havent been on since, i went out sunday morning and same problem, i have recently replaced a couple relays thinking that was my problem, tested them and all worked. I have no broke or chewed wires behind dash or anywhere else that i can find and have checked grounds. I kept checking everything and decided to start it up and try again, all the sudden it moves. I still do not have a parking brake light on dash when p brake is engaged.
    I ran for 4 hours on sunday shutting it down twice and it always started up and moved fine after i got it moving, so im really not sure what i did but I'll be on it later this week, see if it acts up again.

6. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    You have a bad connection somewhere in that maze mess of wire and solenoids. Has to be to sudden quit then as sudden after disturbing said stuff started working.

7. precision dirt

Thanks DMiller, thats kinda my thoughts too. Finding things like this especially when intermittent can be a real pain.

8. irncwby44

irncwby44 Member

I would also check the park brake solenoid and valve ( on the tank behind the batteries) for good function. Power ground magnitizing etc.

9. Hobbytime

Hobbytime Senior Member

10. GaryHoff

GaryHoff Senior Member

Heavey Equipment Mechanic
    Interesting stuff Hobbytime, but doesn't ship north of the boarder. :(
    Would probably work well on the fuse /relay panels of the case dozers, as they are so prone to corrosion.

11. precision dirt

Thanks for the input guys. Lately it hasn't been giving me any issues but its also July in Texas..... dry....