• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK oil questions

skidoomanott

thanks

I did end up getting one but that one is way more detailed. Appreciate it. I managed to get the head gasket changed and got the ole girl fired up. I did notice the first injector was not operating properly. While letting her warm up so we can retorque the head bolts, I ran out of fuel. I added some injector cleaner and put 40 litres of colored diesel. Now for some reason I can not get the injectors to bleed. It has been damn cold here and was wondering if it is possible I have ice in the fuel system somewhere? What is the correct additive to thaw out any ice that may have formed in the fuel system? Thanks

skidoomanott

not froze

I cracked the line going from the tank to the fuel filter it is running there. I cracked the line going into the fuel pump and there is diesel running there. I did notice my fuel pump has a very very slow drip but that was there before. Looks like one of the injectors bled but can't get the others to? Any help? Thanks

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator

This post was reported to the staff as a possible violation of our HEF Forum Rule, "No posts, or posting of links, suggesting or encouraging any illegal activity will be permitted", since it would constitute a copyright violation.

Since the link tells me that that is so, and redirects me to a place where I can conveniently spend my money on movies, I guess the problem has taken care of itself. Rapid movies doesn't need HEF's help in finding customers...

Last edited:

nps9981

I just purchased my first backhoe yesterday. Its a 1969 580CK. I believe it's a direct drive mechanical shuttle shift. Does that mean I can use standard hydro fluid(AW-32) instead of Trans-Hydro fluid for the loader and backhoe?

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Welcome to the forum:). The hydraulic oil reservoir in the frame(s) uses common hydraulic oil. The direct drive shuttle compartment uses different oil than the transmission/differential, I think. I believe your local Case dealer can tell you for sure or someone here might know. My 580BCK operators manual only shows TCH oil for the power shuttle but does not clearly show what's used in the mechanical shuttle compartment. Phil:)

Tee Wrecks

I've got a 1967 Case 580 CK that is pretty well used. I'm changing the oil in the drive line and need some basic answers. I've got a service manual for it but can't find what I need. There are 3 oil fill holes on the drive line. One in the very back over the differential. Does it want 90W gear oil in that? One other hole is a few inches in front of the shift lever. Does that take Case TCH oil? And one half way between the shifter and the bell housing. That may be the shuttle and I think takes TCH also. I'm I right in guessing the two top front fills go into the same space? Does anyone know what the capacities are? There is a dip stick on the differential so thats easy, but none on the other fills.
What I really need is an operators and maintenance manual to get answers to my basic questions. I'm still looking for the filter for the shuttle oil.

Thanks, Ruff
Well, I just pulled off an "oh SHOOT!" with my old 580. I bought some univeral hydralic oil from Tractor supply. Poured it in and my hydralics are acting not so good. I took a second look at the pail and in small print says it's a 10w-30 hydalic fluid. YIKES! I'm guessing that I will be draining the stuff out, right? Did I do any damage to the hydralic system? I also would like to know if the same fluid goes into both of the ports you talked about on the machine between the seat and the dash. It's been one of THOSE days. I lost my operator's manual and am lost without it.

Tee Wrecks

Well, I just pulled off an "oh SHOOT!" with my old 580. I bought some univeral hydralic oil from Tractor supply. Poured it in and my hydralics are acting not so good. I took a second look at the pail and in small print says it's a 10w-30 hydalic fluid. YIKES! I'm guessing that I will be draining the stuff out, right? Did I do any damage to the hydralic system? I also would like to know if the same fluid goes into both of the ports you talked about on the machine between the seat and the dash. It's been one of THOSE days. I lost my operator's manual and am lost without it.
On the photo below, can someone tell me which one takes the 90w gear oil and which takes the Case TCH oil? Thanks. I'm assuming the green circled one is the transaxle? Sorry, when God asked me if I wanted smarts or good looks, choose poorly. ;)
case580ck-fillports.jpg

Dave580ck

Hi I just purchased I believe to be a 1970 case 580ck with Model 33 backhoe I just replaced the seals and packing on the left and tilt cylinder on the right side now when trying to lift the bucket loader it's like it is stepping up a ladder in stages can anyone help me out

Delmer

you probably just need to cycle it a few times to get the air out. Air acts like a cushion and the pressure builds up slowly, then the rod moves and waits for the pressure to build up again.

Dave580ck

you probably just need to cycle it a few times to get the air out. Air acts like a cushion and the pressure builds up slowly, then the rod moves and waits for the pressure to build up again.
Thank you I will give it a try

Scott Lane

I have a question for Phil if he's still on the forum. I have a 1969 580ck with manual gearbox, is it correct to put tch fluid in the torque tube on mine? I drained it and refilled through tho plug in the dual range cover and have noticed fluid is now running out where the clutch rod goes into the case behind the bellhoubell .

Grady

Phil hasn't been around for quite some time. It is correct to use TCH in both the manual and power shuttles. I have the manual shuttle that has a dry clutch but both use a 4 speed gear box. If yours has the dual range then I think you have the manual shuttle also.

Gulf breeze - Is that over near Floribama?

Scott Lane

Yes sir, about an hour east . And ok just wanted to be sure. I filled the rear diff/trans with 85-140 Ep gl5 and I filled the torque tube/ dual range with travellers premium Tran/hydraulic fluid. The refill capacity I found was 17qts but that musta been way to much as it leaked out around the clutch rod until I pumped about a gallon back out.

Scott Lane

Also anyone have any input on the hydraulic leveling ram on the loader? Mine leaks like a siv, someone looks to have welded the end of the rod in a fairly ugly manner, they also have gouged the gland nut so badly it won't hold a wiper or seals. Was wondering if it's actually needed? Has seen many loaders without it, if it needs to stay they and ideas on a new gland nut??

Scott Lane

And it's looking like I shouldn't use the travellers fluid in my hydraulics???? Is there any alternative or is it ok??? Trying to go through this thing tip to tail before hauling it an hour to my property and putting her to work cleaning a 2 acre home site

Grady

You can use the TSC brand but you need the regular hydraulic oil - not the stuff for wet brakes. I think it's the 46 but I'm not positive. Is there a dipstick attached to your fill plug? You can probably pick up a used gland nut from a junkyard. I'd keep the leveler.