• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK Boom slowly dropping

MarkS

I have a 1967 Case 580CK. The boom on the backhoe does not stay up (running or not-running). Even driving it around I have to reach behind and pull up the boom every minute or so or it will drag on the ground. I don't see any obvious leakage from the boom cylinder (though could be internal). There is leakage around the control valve (well there is leakage in the area, it is hard to tell if it is the boom sector specifically in the valve cluster).

My question is this. Is the most likely culprit the boom cylinder or the control valve (or plumbing for that matter)? Is there a way to test to figure it out? if the valve, is it possible to pull components out of the valve without completely removing the whole backhoe valve cluster? I am at work and don't have a copy of the service manual handy.

Mark

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Very easy to pull the control valve apart clean it up and replace 0 rings.
If it still drops replace the cylinder packing.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
Yes just deal with the offending valve. Don't try and remove the whole cluster or take it apart. Though I've taken a no. of them apart I'm very poor at giving instructions. Start by screwing the cap of the bottom of the BOOM control valve clean out any crud that may be in there. Then take the shroud off around the controls and take the pin out of the control lever from here your on your own take your time and figure out how it comes apart ( not difficult ) I can't remember if the rod just pulls out of if you have to unscrew something. There's fellas here that can guide you better than me and keep you on the right path.