• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C starter

Dirtworkin

look directly above the starter, theres is a 1 inch by 1 inch block on the side with 4 wires hooked to 2 posts. make sure these are clean, had this clicking also, cleaned them, end of problem.

Bob S

Boy, this site helped me out a lot. I was looking for suppliers for a rebuild or new starter for my just acquired Case 580c and found this site. It too had this click, click problem. I check out the problem figuring it was the contacts in the solenoid being worn too low to make a complete contact. So shimmed them up a 1/16" and it worked for the first dozen or so test on the tractor but in a couple days it was back to the old click, click. ATCO's point on the amperage needed to activate gave me the thought. Maybe all these wires from the solenoid, through the safety neutral, switch was causing a drop of correct to fully pull the plunger to make contact with contacts. So I wired up a short set of wires from the starter's positive bolt and one from the

Bob S

Boy, this site helped me out a lot. I was looking for suppliers for a rebuild or new starter for my just acquired Case 580c and found this site. It too had this click, click problem. I check out the problem figuring it was the contacts in the solenoid being worn too low to make a complete contact. So shimmed them up a 1/16" and it worked for the first dozen or so test on the tractor but in a couple days it was back to the old click, click. ATCO's point on the amperage needed to activate gave me the thought. Maybe all these wires from the solenoid, through the safety neutral, switch was causing a drop of correct to fully pull the plunger to make contact with contacts. So I wired up a short set of wires from the starter's positive bolt and one from the solenoid to a momentary switch. And it cranked every time. So it's rewire or a separate starter switch if it starts to click. Bob

I got posted before completed so it didn't post as it should have.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF Bob S. :drinkup

We've all goofed up a post at one time or another. ;)

I don't recall if the feature is available to Probationary Members, but a post has and "Edit Post" button at bottom of post. A member has one hour to edit a post before it's set.