• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B (reman pump) no fuel at injectors? Why?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I don't have a manual, where is the solenoid located? Thank you for your come back. I appreciate the help. Ed

Ed,
I'm a little confused as to what pump & model backhoe you say you have.Normally, A Super K would be turbo (black engine)with a bosch pump & a CAV pump would be on a natually asperated (power tan) engine only????
Either way they both have a solenoid - the bosch is on top at the rear of the pump & the CAV at the bottom at the rear of the pump.
You should hear an audible "click" when 12v is applied to them.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I guess eveyone forgot about lil'ole me...
I dont make it to this site much but I can be contacted easily..just put, at a o l after my name.
ALL I NEED are the pump #'s off the tag on the side of the pump.DONT scrape it..get some "pain/gasket" remover from the parts store and spray it on and wipe it off..
IF I cant walk you thru the repairs, I can do the job for 1/2 the fuel shop cost..

GWS

Tore down the injection pump again today to see what I did that made it not pump fuel to the injectors. Unfortunately I did not find anything wrong, backwards or missing. Found one small note in the service manual saying to fill the gap between the hydraulic pistons with oil. Something I did not do the first time around. Put it back together just the way it came apart and it took about 4 try's on the starter and fired up. Ran a little rough for about 30 seconds and smoothed out. I have no idea why it would not pump before, unless it was a air lock in the pistons. That's the only thing I did different. So I'm happy. Now it starts with just a bump of the starter. Hope it stays that way.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
GWS, You are correct..When building a pump think, THE WETTER, THE BETTER..
Lube oil is abit thick but will work in a pinch.. just dip all the parts in diesel fuel and your good to go..
In the 'biz' we use whats called, "calibration fluid", it has the same properties as diesel fuel except the "flash point" is much higher.
Glad you got her going..
BTW> Did you have a book or did you lay each piece out?

Ed T

alrman, Thank you for your help. The pump is a CVA and the solenoid is on the bottom in back. What part does it play. Also on inside front there is some type of gears that slide back and forth, What part do they play. I don't understand why it was built that way. I don't know how to get the lower back housing off. It must be pressed on.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Ed, the solenoid turns the fuel supply to the injector pump on & off. Have you dismantled the pump? Gears that slide back & forth?....... I think you are describing the governor.

GWS

GWS, BTW> Did you have a book or did you lay each piece out?

I downloaded the Stanadyne manual for a DB2 six cylinder model (closest I could find). The first time I just had parts of a manual and it didn't have the part about lubing the pistons. Laid out every single part and kept reading the manual over and over until I understood how each part worked. I didn't really expect it to work this time since I couldn't find anything wrong and was surprised when it fired up. I was hoping to find something that would help out Ed but I don't think our pumps are the same.

GWS

No Ed's got a CAV, DPA.. and you have a Stanadyne[roosa master] DBG. the book isnt going to help ole' Ed.

I looked at the manual for the CAV pump and it is similar to the Stanadyne in the way the 2 hydraulic pistons work against each other. Since mine seemed to have been air locked there, Ed's may be doing the same thing. Don't know if there is a way to prime the piston area without taking the pump apart. Thought it might help letting him know that is what appears to have been my problem since it's working fine now and we had the same problem with no fuel to the injectors but everywhere else in the pump.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
http://www.scribd.com/doc/38688870/CAV-DPA-Pump-Rebuild-Manual

On the back of the Lucas CAV injector pump there is a filter take off the 7/8 nut (i think or its a 15 /16") and the filter is under it, as well as that the back cover is aluminium and groves wear in them causing the pump to loose pressure . They also break the governor shaft.....................
Hope the link works

thepumpguysc

Occupation
GWS, Your right in the aspect of the opposing plungers..but as far as getting to them..well thats a different story..[DB manual] I have already contacted Ed and I think we have things worked-out..
STOCK> WAY KOOL INFORMATION..

stock

Occupation
http://www.scribd.com/doc/38688870/CAV-DPA-Pump-Rebuild-Manual

On the back of the Lucas CAV injector pump there is a filter take off the 7/8 nut (i think or its a 15 /16") and the filter is under it, as well as that the back cover is aluminium and groves wear in them causing the pump to loose pressure . They also break the governor shaft.....................
Hope the link works

I have been a tad unfair to the CAV pump they are extremely reliable if given clean diesel,they are widely used here and are a hugely tolerant pump,dirt fecks up the rear plate,and water the governor shaft. I usually put in an inline filter which does help. One other point the back plate is the same on the 3-4-6cyl pumps...........

cfw3

Thank you for the manual stock! Can anyone tell me a good place to get parts for the lucas cav pump? I have one that is leaking fuel real bad around the throttle control shaft and I also broke off the threaded end of the control shaft so it looks like I will need a new shaft. I would like to try and do it myself on the machine. Thanks, chuck

thepumpguysc

Occupation
The Yellow Pages, under DIESEL or I have a book that lists EVERY authorised injection shop in the world..Let me know if I can help.

Ed T

Thank you for the down load site. I've looked it over and it's going to be a bigger job than I was counting on. I appreciate all the replys and help from each of you. Ed

Ed T

I first want to thank everyone for your help with my '93 Case Super K Backhoe and CAV fuel injector pump. Can anyone tell me if the front gear cover plate on motor left off after you take bolts off or does it wrap around bottom shaft in front. I've been told several different ways to set the timing on Motor. Some say set it at 7 o'clock looking from rear of pump and another said 10 o'clock. Is there a timing mark on injection pump grear to match up with the other gears. Someone said to take off the plate behind starter and there are timing marks on that fly wheel. Just left me know what you think is the best way to go. Appreciate your help. Ed T

stock

Occupation
HMM! all I ever did was take the pump off leaving the gear in place, all the ones I removed had a woodruff key on the input shaft.just mark the pump casing to the engine timing cover to prevent having the pump advanced or retarded to much. if there is a nut on the rad side of the gear it probably a keyed shaft,then it may be a master spline shaft (old langer rover type.

Ed T

I'm trying to set the timimg on my '93 Case super K backhoe. Which cylinder is Number 1.

dwloop

Every inline engine I have worked on, the front cylinder was number one... And they count sequentially back... i.e. 2,3,4 etc... I am sure yours will be the same.

HTH

Dave