• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 40XT Problems, Please Help

Dbchaplin

I'm a HE Forum nube that has been reading posts on here for several years about various things. I just bought a used 2003 Case 40xt with 890 hours on it. The machine was in pretty good shape overall and with the low hours i thought i found a good machine (I may still have, but its been a rough first 24 hours. The guy i bought it from used it on an acreage. He's owned it since 2007 but I'm looking at the receipts and he's only put 90 hours on it since March of 2012. The paint is original and everything feels tight with the exception of the following:

The issues:
1) The controls feel off. I've owned 2 bobcats, rented several others and have operated JD and NH's in the past. The sticks feel different and i have a hard time driving in a straight line. A bobcat feels like an extension of my body but this machine does not feel precise with the controls. Any idea what may cause something like that or any 40 XT owners feel the same way when they first bought theirs?

2) My drive way has a slight slope and the machine rolls forward on it when i'm in it operating it. I've rented bobcats here and never had one roll forward when i wasn't pushing the sticks on the slight hill. I was trying to remove the bucket and the machine kept wanting to roll when i had the sticks in neutral. I haven't experienced that since i had an old bobcat 610 years and year ago.. What would cause that?

3) It has a diesel fuel leak coming out of the weld for the lift arm cyl on the right side of the machine. There was a puddle under it in the garage this morning when i got up. (just picked it up yesterday) there was grease there from the pivot point so i pressure washed it and found that someone had tried to re-weld just the bottom of the gusset. There are no other welds on the machine anywhere so i have no idea why it would have been leaking in this spot in the first place. I have no idea what to do about that because it they rewelded it and it is still leaking, what do you do??

Those are the big issues. Other small issues are the battery won't hold a charge (replacing it tomorrow) and the head/tail lights don't work (will check fuse tomorrow and bulbs but can trouble shoot that on my own with a multi meter, and test light.

I'm pretty frustrated because the guy was really nice, not a dealer or salesman. I should have caught these issues but my schedule is chaotic and it was getting dark by the time i drove 2 hours to meet with him and pick it up. I sure hope i didn't buy a big money pit. I wanted a machine to use on our acreage so i don't have to keep renting them but depending on your feedback about problems 1-3, I think i would have been better of with continuous rentals. Any help is so greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless!!

jacobd

I recently bought a 430. It's not an xt but very similar. I don't have much time on it, or anything to compare it to, but I still agree with you on the controls. They're too touchy. You have to keep nudging them until they "catch" and lurch the machine whichever way you're trying to go. Decelerating is the same story. Ease the sticks back until they kick in and toss you out the door. It's really not as bad as I make it sound but why on earth didn't they put hydraulic dampers somewhere along the drive linkage like they did with the 18xx series? Maybe I just need more practice.

I *think* the 40XT used a mechanical parking brake with a pin and cable like the 18xx's. If that is the case it would only be engaged when the lap bar is up, and when it's down there would be nothing to stop the machine from drifting gently. Better let someone who knows for sure answer that though. My 430 uses hydraulically controlled parking brakes inside the drive motors and they seem to work great. Never have to think about it.

Leaking fuel from a weld on the tank doesn't sound good at all. Can you give us some pictures? Are you sure that's what's happening? My best guess would be to drain the tank, clean the area spotless, and find a *competent* welder with a good reputation to make a repair.

suladas

The rolling forward is something worn out, my dads 75xt has developed that. It's quite annoying, I can't recall exactly what it is that causes it. As far as the controls itself, there is something wrong or needs adjustment. Neither the 75xt or 430 i've operated quite a bit do it. The controls both work great, a bit of difference going from one to the other, but both are extremely responsive.

mountainlake

Occupation
sawmill operator
My 75xt has the smoothest controls of any machine I've driven Steve

Swannny

xt series had drive motor issues...yours might be weak or leaking fluid in the chain cases. Check your chain case oil level both sides.

My 60xt will drift on a slight hill unless you throw the lap bar up to engage the brake. Some have a red button on the left joystick that you can work the brake w/o manipulating the lap bar. If I remember correctly, there are two different designs of parking brakes...mechanical (pin) and hydraulic.

Its often difficult to weld over someone's weld to get a fuel leak to stop. If it were mine and i wanted to weld it (always a danger), I'd fill the tank full and leave the cap off, grind as much of the old weld out before I rewelded. But, I've repaired fuel leaks just as easily long-term with jb weld. Just make sure the tank level is below the leak, wire brush the area well, maybe take a dremel and rough it up before you apply the JB.

Swannny

Skip my advice on filling your tank up to weld q leak...makes no sense. Wasn't thinking correctly. Jb weld is better.