• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845B-Lost all hydraulics-where do I start looking?

FARMGUY57

Using the skid steer and attempted to perform an 180 degree turn in some soft dirt. Lost all power to wheels immediately and bucket in 15 seconds. Engine running fine. No noises. coupler OK. Hoses OK. Fluid level OK. Tried to tow slowly, but could not due to hydraulic resistance. Loosen lines to pumps and towed slowly into garage. I'm a gearhead, but have not done much hydraulic work. Pulled charge pump. Looks OK, shaft OK, poured oil in inlet and turned shaft by hand and it pumped. What do I look for? Is there anything that commonly breaks on these old units? should I pull the main pump and check the shaft? Any ideas are helpful. Thanks

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Using the skid steer and attempted to perform an 180 degree turn in some soft dirt. Lost all power to wheels immediately and bucket in 15 seconds. Engine running fine. No noises. coupler OK. Hoses OK. Fluid level OK. Tried to tow slowly, but could not due to hydraulic resistance. Loosen lines to pumps and towed slowly into garage. I'm a gearhead, but have not done much hydraulic work. Pulled charge pump. Looks OK, shaft OK, poured oil in inlet and turned shaft by hand and it pumped. What do I look for? Is there anything that commonly breaks on these old units? should I pull the main pump and check the shaft? Any ideas are helpful. Thanks

I can't explain why the loader worked 15 seconds longer than the drive but I would check the flywheel drive coupler and dual drive pump shaft for a stripped spline

FARMGUY57

Thanks for the response melben.
I pulled the front pump and noted the position of the shaft. I turned the crankshaft 90 degrees and the front spline did not turn. Is it usually the crankcase side shaft that breaks? I assume the next move is to pull the entire pump and hope I can locate the broken shaft.

lantraxco

Most failures will be at or near the flywheel coupler, as that is where the max torque is being transferred. YMMV