• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1835b Skid Steer

nascarruafan

I am hoping someone can offer some help/insight. We have a Case 1835b skid steer. Parked it about a month ago and was running fine. Went out a couple weeks later and it wold not start. Didn't think too much into it other than the battery was dead. Placed it on the charger for a couple days and still nothing. Start nosing around and figure it was the starter. Pulled the starter out and had it tested where it came back good. Put the starter back and again nothing. Tried jumping the starter to check the wiring and it appears the starter is engaging. Then we decided to take a breaker bar and try to manually turn over the engine and it would not turn. It appears it is completely seized? Not sure how or why after ir ran just fine. We are just debating though it is actually the engine or is it possible something in the hydraulic pump could have seized which would prevent the engine from turning over? Anyone have any ideas? Need all we can get. Looking at 18" of snow and now have a broken down skid steer:mad:

sheepfoot

Do you have a gas 148 or diesel engine 188 ? I would uncouple the hyd pump first at the rear, if engine still will not turn, gas engine pull the spark plugs and try again. If it has a diesel you have two choices, either pull the valve cover and push lightly on the two valves on the compression stroke or pull the injectors out and try to spin it. you may have lost a head gasket/liner with a pin hole and filled a cylinder with antifreeze causing it to lockup. Setting out side in the rain with water leaking into a cylinder will also cause issues like a frozen cube of ice. After that you may have a main hydrostat pump issue, I was thinking you could maybe get a pipe wrench on the coupler and a good pull also or slide the coupler/ pump.

sheepfoot

nascarruafan, I told you wrong on the hyd pump, thinking back it's under the seat, on the front of the hydro. If you unhook the coupling at the engine flywheel you can see if the pumps will turn, or it's a engine issue.