• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1818 skidsteer steering problems

Adsy

Hi, I am new on here, and am having problems with my skidsteer.
It is a Case 1818, I am guessing around circa 1990. When I bought the machine a few weeks ago , the steering was quite lazy, and would not 'skid' when it steered properly. I put this down to the fact it has small tractor type tyres on, and not proper skidsteer tyres.
But now the steering has virtually gone completely, especially on one side, with the other side not being much better, the problem gets worse and worse as the oil gets hotter. My first thought is, could the machine have the wrong oil in it, i.e. the wrong viscocity, and if it did, would it affect the steering in this way. Or is it somthing more serious, as I suspect. Like the hydraulic drive pumps going wrong, or the hydrostatic drive motors:eek:
I am looking for some guidance, and would appreciate any comments / ideas.
Thanks, Adsy.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Hello Adsy & welcome to HEF!
I have spent many years working on Case equipment - I'll be honest & say I've never seen a 1818.
However, what you describe is a classic symptom of tired pumps or motors or both....... The 1818 uses belts to drive them, are you sure they are tight? The oil viscosity would not make a huge difference in this matter either.
If belts are tight, you really need to test charge pressure (150psi min) or at least measure flow at the case drain of the drive motors when under load.
Does the park brake work?
Do you have the ability & tools to check hyd pressures?
May be a good idea to inspect the hyd. filter for metal debris.
:)

Last edited:

maddog

You also may want to check your hydro fluid, make sure it doesn't have foreign materials ie: water dirt etc...

rodger

i just bought one also. I noticed the sluggish turning as well. I hear what appears to be belts slipping and am trying to find out how to get to the to see about any adjustments, then i saw a lever on the left hand side of operators area that say engage belt on or off. When I engage the belt the movement improves about 100%, but i don't have hydraulic control. I am not sure what next steps are. any help?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
i just bought one also. I noticed the sluggish turning as well. I hear what appears to be belts slipping and am trying to find out how to get to the to see about any adjustments, then i saw a lever on the left hand side of operators area that say engage belt on or off. When I engage the belt the movement improves about 100%, but i don't have hydraulic control. I am not sure what next steps are. any help?

welcome to HEF rodger!
The equipment pump is also belt driven - check belt tightness, for a start.