1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

can my trailer handle it?

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by 92b16si, Apr 9, 2017.

1. 92b16si

92b16si Well-Known Member

have a tandem axle single tire pintle hitch trailer . rated for 16,000lbs and have to pull. a case 580sl 4x4 backhoe. i dont have to comply soth DOT rules since im in a rural town out in mexico. and only need to move it about 30 miles max.

2. 92b16si

pulling with a kenworth dumptruck.

3. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    If the tires are good 10 ply and the roads aren't total horse$hit you'd probably be ok. Assuming the floor and trailer is in good shape. You'll know pretty quick once you load if it's up to the challenge. Keep speed down to a reasonable pace and you should be ok. Others my see it different but that's what makes the world go around!

Junkyard

pburress likes this.
  4. Tenwheeler

Tenwheeler Active Member

What size tires, their load rating and condition?

5. sheepfoot

sheepfoot Senior Member

Your base machine with 4wd will weigh in at 14,000 lbs., cab add 500lbs, 4x1 bucket add 600 lbs., extendahoe add 470 lbs., front weight add 500 lbs.. Weight wise your close depending on options. Your trailer type, tire and wheels would be my only concern. I would prefer a 9 ton trailer myself, a short move with good tires you should be ok.

6. 92b16si

its cheaper to buy brand new tires then finding another decent trailer downhere. or how hard is it to convert to dual, or tri axle?

7. Labparamour

Labparamour Well-Known Member

Without exceeding pintle rating, could he put more on the tongue since he has enough of a truck to handle it?
    Or, run up trailer and into dump box with hoe?

DB

8. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

My name is Brian, and I'm a workaholic.
    If your ramps don't hold up the trailer while loading, I would block the back to take some of the stress off when loading it.

9. Tenwheeler

Tenwheeler Active Member

Single tire to a dual usually does not work out. The frame width is different on the ones I considered doing that to. To add an extra axle is usually pretty simple but harder on tires when turning. May have to drive with bucket in air to distribute weight.
    What size tires did you say those were and number of lugs on wheel?

10. 92b16si

its an 8lug 16.5 tires i believe

11. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Shimmy1 likes this.