• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

camshaft lobe lift specs wanted

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
Hi guys,
I am rebuilding a 3054 cat diesel. i was wondering what the min lobe lift is allowed on the camshaft in these mills.
There's about 40+ thou diff in the cam lobe measurement between the highest (being 1650 thou) and the lowest lobe.
I have no service manual and i hope one of you guys do or have access to that info.
Thanks.

Cmark

Camshaft lobe lift

Inlet lobe ... 7.62 to 7.69 mm (0.2999 to 0.3029 inch)
Exhaust lobe ... 7.71 to 7.79 mm (0.3036 to 0.3066 inch)

Cmark

40 thou is a huge difference. You know that the lift isn't the overall height of the lobe, but the difference between the O/H and the base circle, right? If you had .040" wear on a lobe, it would stand out like dog's balls.

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
Yeah this camshaft is all but worn out, i measured between the back of the cam and the tip of the lobes.
Some of the lifters have grooves worn in them or pieces broke off.
This engine has only 1500 some hrs on it, it developed a bad rattle, after i took the pan off i found the balancer unit was broken in 3 pieces and laying in the bottom..
I can't say i am impressed with these 3054's, I have 2 of them,..the other one spun a main and then locked up on 2 pistons.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Which version 3054 is it? The Cat made one or the Perkins/Shibaura one? Injection pump its own, rotary unit on the left side or inline, mounted on the block, on the right side?

Truck Shop

40 thou is a huge difference. You know that the lift isn't the overall height of the lobe, but the difference between the O/H and the base circle, right? If you had .040" wear on a lobe, it would stand out like dog's balls.

{Dog's balls} to funny, Mastiff or Great Dane?o_O

Truck SWhop

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
I need some more info on this engine.

1) does the counter balance unit need to be timed to the crank? i cant find any timing marks on the drive gear but there is a timing mark on the crank gear.
2) the balancer drive shaft has a splined gear on the other end that drives the balance weights, the gear is held with a nut,..what is the torque value of that nut ?(14 mm nut)
Thanks.