• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Calling all Snorkel Experts! TB 60 Boom Lift Woes - Idle issue - Please help!

joestewart

Looking for a Boom Lift forum – could not find one so I thought I would post here.

Attention Snorkel Experts: TB 60 Fast Idle Woes – Please help

We bought this TB 60 with the Deutz diesel engine about 3 years ago. It worked fine for several months. Then we began to have “idle problems” which plagued us for a period of weeks. But then spontaneously the “idle problem” fixed itself and it worked fine for a period of months. Now the “idle problem” is back again with a vengence. We have done our own investigating and “troubleshooting with money”. We even called a local company that repairs heavy equipment. They sent two guys out here but they could not figure it out. It is probably an easy fix. I will attempt to describe the problem.

We have figured out there are three engine speeds:

• “low idle” – for when machine is at rest, with no controls being operated
  • “high idle” - for hydraulics to move the boom
  • “extra high idle” - to run all four of the hydraulic motors when you want to propel the boom lift
When we start the engine, the engine speed will remain at “low idle” as long as you don’t touch any of the controls (as it should).

While standing in the platform, when you depress the “foot switch”, then engine speed increases to “high idle”, but it only stays in “high idle” mode for approximately four (4) seconds. At that time, it will return to “low idle” (it does this even though we are holding the foot pedal in the depressed position).

When you move the “drive controller” switch to the “forward” or “reverse” position, the engine speed with go to “extra high idle”, but it will only do so during the first four (4) seconds after pressing the foot switch. At four seconds, the engine speed returns to “low idle”, even though we are continuing to hold the drive controller in the “forward” or “reverse” position – this practically stalls the engine.

This TB60 exhibits the same symptoms when you are operating it from the “ground control panel”.

We are at wits end. As mentioned earlier, we hired some experts to come look at the machine. They examined the machine, but were unsuccessful in pinpointing the problem. They did not charge us anything. We have already replaced the solenoid that moves the idle control arm on the injection pump – no change. We bypassed the connections in the foot switch – no change.

There is a resin filled electrical device on the side rail (see photo) that has little green lights and red lights on it. We have discovered that during the first four (4) seconds that the foot pedal is depressed, the green light is illuminated (as photo depicts). At four (4) seconds however, the green light goes off and the red light becomes illuminated (as other photo depicts).

We have temporarily gotten around the problem by increasing the idle speed using the adjusting screw on the injection pump. This leaves it on “extra high idle” at all times – this allows us to use the machine but we noticed that there is markedly increased fuel consumption when using this approach as a patch.

I am hoping some of the boom lift experts on here can help us out. Let me know if I need to provide any additional info to get this sorted out. This has been a great machine (while it worked, that is!). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_080752723.jpg
    IMG_20231001_080752723.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231001_081710344.jpg
    IMG_20231001_081710344.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231001_081713714.jpg
    IMG_20231001_081713714.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 9

Vetech63

The red LED light means there is a fault. Its more than likely a wiring issue and most times I've seen them it's been a ground circuit. I would remove ALL grounds, clean, and reconnect and see if you still have the problem. There should be several wiring grounds around that machine.

joestewart

I am posting photos of the outside and inside of the control box in the basket to see if anyone has any ideas.

The location of the grounds on this machine are proving difficult to find. So far, I think we have found two (2) grounding locations, both on the frame. We cleaned both and re-connected - the problem remains.

We cleaned the positive battery post. We cleaned the negative battery post and its connection to the frame.

We have replaced the medium idle and high idle relays - No change.

If anyone can point me to additional grounding locations on this machine? I realized I need to trace the harness to locate them, but I imagine that there will be some I will miss (that are in obscure locations).IMG_1621.jpgIMG_1622.jpgIMG_1623.jpgIMG_1624.jpg

joestewart

Edit - Now the dang machine won't move in reverse! We moved the machine out into the sun so we could take the above photos. When we started it up and attempted to move it, we discovered that the machine will move in the forward direction, but when you move the lever on the control box to move in reverse, nothing happens (no movement, no sounds, no nothing). We don't know if we accidentally disconnected something or what. Note: The owner tells me it has done this before, but the machine somehow "fixed itself" and worked fine for months - Well, now its doing it again. Another gremlin. IMG_1625.jpgHeck, all suggestions welcome at this point! Let me know if you need additional photos.

joestewart

Update: We found a loose wire in the control box. The connector was so loose that the wire easily came off. We re-connected it tightly and now the machine moves in reverse again.

So we are now back to trying to figure out the "idle problem". Truth be told, the "idle problem" is probably another loose wire. We just have to find that wire.............