• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C9 Engine overheating in 336D Excavator

Guhan

Hi

C9 engine is overheating in 336D excavator(Sl.No:pRF00721)

We have replaced,water pump,thermostat & cleaned the radiator.

But the temperature raises to 98 degree Celsius with in an hour of operation.

Yesterday the temperature raised to 104 degree celsius and the engine derated. We also replaced the coolant temperature sensor.

But the problem is not resolved.So kindly advise

Patrick M

I know this may seem over simplerfing the solution to your problem but is the belt to the fan pully tight enough? I had a similar problem with mine for months and months with the temp going straight up to just below the red and me having to let the machine stop and cool down for a while especially in the hotter months of the year, then one day while doing some other work on the engine I noticed that the belt was as loose as, I adjusted it up and no more problems.
Yeah I know too simple isn't it.
Any you never know.

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
Hi

C9 engine is overheating in 336D excavator(Sl.No:pRF00721)

We have replaced,water pump,thermostat & cleaned the radiator.

But the temperature raises to 98 degree Celsius with in an hour of operation.

Yesterday the temperature raised to 104 degree celsius and the engine derated. We also replaced the coolant temperature sensor.

But the problem is not resolved.So kindly advise

Do you have any fault codes?

cutting edge

Jeez.....

Hydraulically driven fan. Miney says there is a piece of debris in the proportional spool for the fan speed. disconnect the electrical connector from the solenoid and the fan should go to full speed. if not, remove and clean the spool.

Aus

Hey Guhan,

What did you end up finding with your 336D? - we have a 330D and have just put a new C9 in from a 336D then had the ECM flashed to change parameters - Radiator has been cleaned, waterpump pressures and condition checked, changed thermostat, fault codes eliminated, temperature drop across the radiator, we even fitted all the foam shrouding around the engine to prevent the heat from engine recycling back into the radiator, completed valve set, injector cut out. Caterpillar even have there Techs in America looking into it but no luck so far.

Thanks,
Tim

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
Make sure all the foam is in good shape around the radiator and not recirculating air.

Also I have seen on those the engine speed sensor on the flywheel(read by machine ecm which controls the fan) not reading, which causes the machine ecm to not get an engine speed signal and because of that it can't modulate the fan speed correctly, causing overheating.

Aus

Make sure all the foam is in good shape around the radiator and not recirculating air.

Also I have seen on those the engine speed sensor on the flywheel(read by machine ecm which controls the fan) not reading, which causes the machine ecm to not get an engine speed signal and because of that it can't modulate the fan speed correctly, causing overheating.

Hey newguy2k3,
Thanks for the reply

We have installed all new foam around the radiator but will look into the speed sensor this morning and let you know the findings,

Cheers,
Aus

Aus

Fellas,

The 330D we fitted with a c9 from a 336D because we couldn't get another engine in country (under warranty) the dealer changed personality to ecm testing waterpump, thermostat, cleaning radiator internally, fitting the shrouding around the engine to prevent hot air recirculation, valve set - we were about to try change all the injectors out and found that all of the exhaust valves were to loose atleast 2mm clearance so valves were adjust buy an expat and machine tested and has run for 3 shifts now with now Issues.

Cheers,
Aus

Aus

Your fix shows that it always pays to check the simple things first, even if only to eliminate them.
Once you have eliminated "what it isn't" then logic dictates that what you're left with must be the problem........

Haha thats it Nige except the local dealer mechanics did a valve set that was to eliminate it but it ended up creating a better problem, sometimes its easier to do it yourself I guess

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
we were about to try change all the injectors out and found that all of the exhaust valves were to loose atleast 2mm clearance so valves were adjust buy an expat and machine tested and has run for 3 shifts now with now Issues.

Cheers,
Aus

2 mm? for those of use in the backward part of the world that is just short of 80 thousands of an inch! Or 0.080 inch.

Had to check spec's the setting for the exhaust on a C-9 is 0.64 mm or 0.025 inch. That means this engine was set to slightly over three times the correct lash. Wonder why it was not running right!