• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a JCB 8018 Mini Excavator Thoughts Comments?

cloves

Hi guys so I found a JCB 8018 mini 2013. It has 980 hours. Thinking of pulling the trigger on this one. Buying from a place that sells JCB equipment.

Wondering what people thought on the unit? Its has a missing door (unit is suppose to be enclosed) and one missing glass panel in the front. Not sure what that would run me.

Comes with the standard bucket. I am going to be doing some regrading come the summer aside from digging out a foundation. Should I pick up a grading bucket? What would be the best place to get one and what is the average cost? Assume that most buckets are universal fit but then I could be wrong.

Rentalstop

JCB 8018 is a small machine. Limited uses but if it suits your needs that's great. JCB is from UK with increasing dealer network here (local dealer is important). If the place you're buying it sells JCB they should throw in the door and glass or at least get you a deal. Grading bucket may over work this machine beyond it's capability. Buckets are far from universal and can cost $500-$1000. Some manufacturers use Werk-brau style but many are proprietary.
What's the price on the mini ex ?

Planedriver

Occupation
Farmer
Rentalstop I thought I would sit in the background on this one but you hit every point I thought about. I have to admit that I'm a little bewildered why a dealer would put a late model of his brand of equipment on the line with missing glass? Leaves me to wonder about the dealer and/or PM the machine got.

cloves

Thanks for the bucket info. Got the unit for a little over 14k they are not an official seller of JCB. I'll have to see about getting a door and that glass. Cab has heat and a/c which is a perk I guess. Expandable tracks 7ft digging depth is more then enough for my needs for now. I have a local JCB dealer here in NJ (35 minutes away)

It really came down to this machine to KX41-3V (specs are similar) but all the machines I have been eyeing for the last 6 months are much older 07-09.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Where I work they get the buckets from Bucket Supply,nice buckets. They are in north jersey.

jcb jeff

The 801 range are good little machines but does have a few comon faults here a few to look out for.
Engines pretty good perkins 403 as long as you look after them service wise / tappets
Hyd pumps fail approx 3000hr internal drive coupling fails and bits take out pump (£325 uk )
Engine mounts collapse and the sump rubs on the belly plate and can rub a hole in the tin sump £48 per mount x 3)
Pressure maintenance valves fail giving you no servo controls until you pull the blade control lever ( £760 uk)
Hyd filter head leaking requires new base gasket
General wear in the pins bushes tipping links being the worst
Exhaust flexi under cab breaking
Track idler bearings collapse and bottom rollers can become seized
Bonnet catches are a pain to keep tight and will drive you mad
Plastic cover on floor mountings after a while strip in the plastic

I work on a lot of these for a customer here in the uk so i see a few ranging from 8014 - 8018 including the cts range.