• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Butler Brothers logging trucks

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
That is a GREAT shot of a Butler Bros early rig! Home run, might just have to get a model going of this one sooner..

Ap40

HDX

camptramp It sure looks like the one and only MADILL Truck built. It was also in Jackson Bay That is where she met her end. It is the planetary rear ends that made me wonder.

Truckmodeler

camptramp It sure looks like the one and only MADILL Truck built. It was also in Jackson Bay That is where she met her end. It is the planetary rear ends that made me wonder.

HDX - good eye. Yes, i believe it is the Madill truck, the planetaries are the big giveaway. Also, a couple of other less obvious signs are the windshield - its rectangular instead of square (the first BB truck had a square one) and the front cab vent is horizontal instead of vertical. But it is a fantastic shot of a what seems to be a rarely photographed truck. Love the engine detail and overhead view.
If anyone is interested, there is an excellent little book called "Flower Child logger" about the life of David Dougan of Dougan Brothers. There is a great shot of his brother Mike standing beside the Madill truck. He was the driver of that beast - at age 15. Not sure how you can find the book but I picked it up in Cobble Hill. Its written by his grandaughter Allison Hyatt. Great little read, interesting story.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
BC -- This is the Butler Brothers Truck at Dougan's Logging , probably Jackson Bay ,View attachment 115073 picture belongs to Bob Cook .
Toby Hird has loaned me a couple of pictures to share ,so i'll put this picture closer to compare with later versions of Butlers Truck . I'm fairly certain this is the very first "Roller Skate" built.

camptramp

Occupation
This is #36 the second "Roller Skate" built it was surplus equipment after Butler Brothers sold their Sooke Logging Division to Pacific Logging . It was sold to Dave Fairris and Toby Hird who moved it to Caycuse where it worked for a short time for BCFP , it then sat at Caycuse for about a year before being sold to Andy Bryne of Powell River. For some reason the Butler Trucks were all #70 ,then this one was given the #36 at the logging divison.scan779.jpgAn interesting little information on this truck is that the V16 -71 Detroit engine was a one piece casting originally used in a marine application .

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Don Patrick better known around the shop as " Choo Choo" has lent use some of his pictures to share , the first being the Butler Bros. truck being loaded at the Marshalling Point at the old Renfrew camp in Decamber 1979scan92.jpgscan93.jpg

j-jock

I saw one of these monsters in the M&B Menzies Bay maintenance yard in 1973. It was in M&B colours, and according to the maintenance supervisor the truck was being evaluated. I have pictures, but I have a lot of unsorted slides to go through.
Sorry I can't add any more information.
Bob

Sidney43

Occupation
Retired
Just wanted to comment on this thread. The Butler Brothers were amazing in their innovative approach to logging truck design. I don't know how big their shop was, but the product was what you might expect from a large company. Did either of them have any formal engineering training, or was all of this more or less seat of the pants based on what components were available and experience?

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
I thought the Mark 5 would have a heavy solid frame not a flex frame, last time I was looking at it was surprised to see a regular looking truck frame. Guess it worked!

Attachments

• May 2013 099 (640x480).jpg
    May 2013 099 (640x480).jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 870
  • May 2013 100 (640x480).jpg
    May 2013 100 (640x480).jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 859
  • May 2013 101 (640x480).jpg
    May 2013 101 (640x480).jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 860
  • May 2013 102 (640x480).jpg
    May 2013 102 (640x480).jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 853
  • May 2013 105 (640x480).jpg
    May 2013 105 (640x480).jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 853

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I would give any thing to see a real one complete, is there a chance that there could be a survivor out some where?????

I don't have a clue. I suspect we would have heard about it by now. I'm thinking the Mark 5 carcass is as close as we will get, unfortunately.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
That is what I thought after reading all topics for the second time, but I was hopeing that there could of been a chance that someone with deep pockets would want to try and start on this rebuild project. It was a great dream............:)

Doug1966

Occupation
Woodworker
Hi, there are a couple guys here in Victoria that work on them, one was a designer, worked for KW and Western Star. The other works at a Sidney machine shop, has video from early test drives. He was going to try and post it here. He was telling about one driver that a piece rope tied to the bullboard by the drivers door, so he could swing away in an emergency. I believe they are members here as well. Butlers also had a aluminum car,can't remember what it was called but there is a site dedicated to it. Thanks Doug.