• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building fire breaks with CTL

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
I own a soil conditioner and it takes a bit to churn up decent growth to the point that it would be a good fire break, if it's real rooty it takes more than one pass. It will go deep enough and the rocks may not agree with it if they are large. The offset disk is what the forestry service uses over here (SC), they will come cut fire breaks and manage the burn pretty cheaply to help prevent people who are ill equipped from making a mess of things.
I think running any standard hydraulic attachment on a skid for 16 miles will not be good on you machine in the long run.
I believe in using what you have to the best of your ability and only renting if you absolutely have to. With that said , I think the tractor and disc is the best solution for productivity. Now the problem I've had with this in the past is there is always some "expert" that says " Well icoulda just done that , all you did was use a disc ". Lol. Good luck !