• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Building a custom excavator

Coastal

Here's the base of my tilt rotator... It's only about 3" thick, the tilt part is cut and will be fabbed up next week.

YAa1pdU.jpg

And today I started the engine cover, 3/8 mild steel.

Coming up with a venting design:

xq3IBYP.jpg

And tweeked and burned out

9BJHjQw.jpg

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Absolutely awesome job :):cool: .... be interested to see your Tilty ... I've built one for my 15t duck and there's a LOT to it ;)
The mere mention of a home built tilty will attract a certain Druid from the other side of the world ;):):)
This forum could suck up any spare time you have left Druid. I suppose you can still post with Clara on your lap :D
AusDave

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've only run tilt buckets, so ya the rotator is exciting!

Yes, cutting the tilt parts today and in the morning, we're using a worm gear rotating device from something else, it should be pretty tough. With this old John Deere bucket this is where it sits, we're building new buckets and a rake to fit the tilt rotator, and that extra length should get it almost to the tracks.

muLd0tH.jpg

Ya I'm from Kamloops, building this machine in south Surrey.

;)

I'm in the Loops couple times a month. Actually from the area. Keep it up, that machine is freakin' sweet!

V8DRUID

Occupation
My body let me down and was forced to retire from
I know what that rotator came off of ;)

and the good thing is you can always put the forks back on and you'll have one more use for the machine :)

2014-06-11 18.14.37.jpg
2014-06-11 18.34.42.jpg
2014-06-11 19.12.38.jpg
;) fork rotate-er ..... which i turned into a bar bender ... a long time ago :rolleyes: ........ which i turned into a tiltrotater :) with a little 'effort'

V8DRUID

Occupation

Coastal

Ahhh cool its been in the back of my mind figuring out how the fork carriage will have to sit, and that's pretty much what I had in mind. ;)

V8DRUID

Occupation
Ahhh cool its been in the back of my mind figuring out how the fork carriage will have to sit, and that's pretty much what I had in mind. ;)

Cheers ;) ..... there's plenty of pix, if they're any help, in those links and the 'story' of the build is in the BCEF forum ....... was well worth the effort :):D

V8DRUID

Occupation
The mere mention of a home built tilty will attract a certain Druid from the other side of the world ;):):)
This forum could suck up any spare time you have left Druid. I suppose you can still post with Clara on your lap :D
AusDave

LOL Dave .... you know me too well Boyo .... Graham pointed it out to me the other night.:rolleyes:
Got a new recruit to compete with Clara, early Thursday morning mate :D .. in me thread ... usual place ;):)

V8DRUID

Occupation
I went home for the weekend, but the fellas kept at it in the shop building a rake for me. ;)

Cfbml2V.jpg
looks a hell of a rake for a 6 tonner .... some lovely profile and MIG work there Boyo

Magic eye or template profiler ? .... fabrication was my game for 35+ years ;)

Coastal

looks a hell of a rake for a 6 tonner .... some lovely profile and MIG work there Boyo

Magic eye or template profiler ? .... fabrication was my game for 35+ years ;)
Magic eye, awesome but finicky at times. Rakes 50" wide but has a short profile, tips are u400 and the rest is 100 I believe.

Welder Dave

Must have been burning pretty hot. Looks like it could be spray arc. I'm guessing he's gonna put some more passes on some of the welds?

Coastal

Must have been burning pretty hot. Looks like it could be spray arc. I'm guessing he's gonna put some more passes on some of the welds?

It's a big 3 phase welder, it'll blow through 3/4 plate like it's nothing if you're not careful. And ya I think it's spray arc at the voltage it runs.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
LOL Dave .... you know me too well Boyo .... Graham pointed it out to me the other night.:rolleyes:
Got a new recruit to compete with Clara, early Thursday morning mate :D .. in me thread ... usual place ;):)
Yes I saw the new competitor for Clara on the British forum. Congratulations!
Hope you get some time with your yellow equipment. However grandparents with seemingly spare time are much sought after... :)
Regards AusDave