• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket hooks

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I once owned a John Deere 410. On the bucket were chain hooks I think were likely factory original. A forged handle bug enough to grip with your hand, had a grab hook built on the outside of it. You passed a chain through the loop, and hooked it. John Deere offers them for about $60 each. Is there a better source.

Willie

DIYDAVE

Google shows a bunch of weld on hooks, about $5 per hook. Shouldn't be too hard to take some round stock, and fab up a handle, for a lot less than $60, from mother deere...

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
No. The ones I speak of are a hoop maybe 8" long, 3" tall, off the rear is a notch to grab chain, then pass the loose end through the hoop to hold it on the grab.

Hobbytime

No. The ones I speak of are a hoop maybe 8" long, 3" tall, off the rear is a notch to grab chain, then pass the loose end through the hoop to hold it on the grab.
I have the same handle/chain grip on my 1980s ford 555 backhoe on the front bucket...dont know the proper name either..

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, I just saw some on a 4500 Ford maybe a 1965? The grandson of a recently died old friend brought home a couple new unused from his grandfather. As I'd like about ten, I hate to pay John Deere's prices.

Willie

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Scan came thru, just have to open it.

Should still be able to fab something as that. 5/16 or 3/8" plate for the chain snag and 1/2" hot roll for the 'D' ring or have a fab shop with a plasma bed cut out a dozen or so out of 5/16" or 3/8" plate steel. Could step up to 1/2" for heavier chain.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I once owned a John Deere 410. On the bucket were chain hooks I think were likely factory original. A forged handle bug enough to grip with your hand, had a grab hook built on the outside of it. You passed a chain through the loop, and hooked it. John Deere offers them for about $60 each. Is there a better source.

Willie
I seen them on JD for years also. Have not seen them in a while. I like that style to.