• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

HDX

Hayesno1 Couldnt sleep till I found those pictures The two trucks that went up to Sandspit were 40-126 ex 6-249 and 40-137 ex 6-253 Dave Wiskins was driving one of them and cant remember who the other driver was as they went through Franklin Camp on their way to Port Alberni .6-253 went to Silver River up at Harrison Lake new and when they shut down she was transfered to Renfrew Division

HDX

Hayesno1 That picture you posted of the BCFP HDX pre-load unit #40-109 That is for sure a mystery BCFP never bought pre-loads in that configuration all theirs were the folding reach type, This truck was obviously a BCFP unit though because of the paint scheme. When both CrownZ and BCFP were taken over by Fletcher Challenge they used Crown unit #s, It would not be in anybodys best interest to take a Crown Z unit and paint it BCFP colors when after being taken over they would go to Fletcher Challenge colors (all ORANGE) The truck has my attention--Here is a shot--Back in the 80s when Skogland sent all their equipment to the RB Auction there was some of those Hayes Pre-loads there -at least two I know that Crown Z bought at least one maybe two but this could have been the second or third truck The problem would be that this truck would be a stand alone truck in other words it would not fit in with their other trailers because of the system of loading them. It could be very well that they needed another truck somewhere and because of auction prices and availability they bought her and sent her to one of their camps. If there was preloads at that camp they could very well have made it work because you can do anything with these trucks. After all it could still pull their goose-neck trailers It is a real interesting truck Will have to reserch her further

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
HDX. Re. BCFP #40-109. You might be right but as I remember those 2 Skoglund HDX preloaders that were auctioned had the same set forward axle as H17.

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
1967 Truck Logger magazine add

Found this add in one of my old mag's, shows quite a list of camps running back then. ( sorry if its not clear enough )

Attachments

• img193.jpg
    img193.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,213

HDX

Greatwestcam. We left BCFPs Brittan River Division in 1957 and that was when they were moving over to Glacial Creek across the Inlet but Vancouver Bay was the big Camp and Brittan River was a sattelite camp. Dad was a High Rigger and then went driving log truck # 170 These were the Heartshape Grill Hayes's 1947 models. Andy Burns was also a driver there as was Johnny Cushnorinco (Sputnic) John went on to BCFPs Caycuse Division and drove there till he retired All those camps had a "camp boat" for emergencies and the B/R boat was the Osulphrie I cant remember the exact spelling--I do however remember "Boat Day" because the Jervis Express would bring everybodies groceries from Woodwards in Vancouver man that was great- store bought bread and us kids could always grovell a little ice cream from the cook house. Vic Ramsay was the super up there back then.

HDX

Back in 1947 BCFP was growing and had these operations 1-Tom Brown Lake Camp-2 Brittain River Camp-3 Glacial Creek Camp-4Vancouver Bay Camp-5 Narrows Inlet Camp-6 Vancouver-7 Pitt Lake Camp-8 Hammond-9 Camp 3(NitNat) later sold to Crown Z-10 Camp 6 (Caycuse)-11 Youbou-12 Harris Creek Camp-13 Beach Camp-14 Bear Creek Camp -and 15 was Victoria.

HDX

Hayesno1 You are right!!! Need glasses Cant see the forest for the trees!! That just means that Crown Z got both those Skaglund trucks I remember talking to one of the other drivers in Franklin when we learned that those trucks were coming up for auction and hoping that M&B would buy them--They were in exellent shape very well looked after. However that still dont solve the puzzle Maybe somebody else knows something about her! Was definitly a rose among the thorns whereever she was.Maybe a serial # or something--somebody had to know about her

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Ex. BCFP Pacific P16 truck - at present time parked at Sarita. Photo credit: HDX.

Attachments

• IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,667
  • IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,587

M_T_Noggin

Occupation
Retired
HDX-I was very interested to read about Brittan River. I used to live there in the early fifties, the we moved down to Vancouver Bay. Everytime we had to go to town it was on the Jervis Express. I remember Vic Ramsay, Arnie Bergland was super at Van Bay and John Sawatsky was driving log truck. Also made many trips to Pender with the boatman Don Fulton on the camp boat "Kukalani". Also remember the softball games between Van Bay and Brittan River.

HDX

M_T_Noggin Cant be that M_T_ for you to remember all that Edd Nelson was a hooker as was Charlie Roux Bert Toleman Do you remember old Bill Blank he use to run the boom boat had a wooden leg? I remember when Billy Woods fell off his bike while crossing the bridge by the shop and broke his leg. The ball field was a ways down the mainline from camp towards the river at B/R.

M_T_Noggin

Occupation
Retired
Bill Blank built a boat for my father, and I still have the nameboard. I stayed at Nelson's for a few days after we moved to Van Bay. Shoot me a e-mail and we can continue to reminisce.

Born2clearcut

Hi everyone
My grandpa worked for BCFP most his loggin career ,my dad worked for them at one time also in Van bay , I worked for them starting around 83 in Narrows Inlet . i'll find some pictures my grandpa gave me .Here's one hanging in my kitchen of a carving made and given to him by BCFP when he retired
imlogger3.jpg

Born2clearcut

Howdy eveyone .
My grandpa worked for BCPF for 31 years he started in 1949 in Harris Creek ( near Port Renfrew ) . My Dad worked for BCFP for a time in Port Renfrew and Van Bay where we lived , i was too young to remember tho . I worked for BCFP in the early 80's in Narrows Inlet . We did a few blocks in Van bay in the mid-late 90's for INTERFOR .

Born2clearcut

Here is a picture #1 i took from Treat Creek looking down on Jervis inlet . Around the point on the left is Brittain River , Vancouver Bay is just on other side of the ridge on the right you can see Mount Churchill on the right .. Height: 1996 m (6549 ft) - picture #2 close up of Mount Churchill - picture #3 is from Delta Rock gravel pit (Treat Creek) lookin at Mt Churchill - picture #4 is lookin the other way of pic#3 Captains Island and Nelson Island ..I also posted a picutre of BCFP's Camp 6 Caycuse in another thread , post #39 at https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...t-Coast-Logging-Camps-Shops-Barges-etc./page3

Attachments

• treat creeksmall.jpg
    treat creeksmall.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 2,155
  • MTChurchillsmall.jpg
    MTChurchillsmall.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 2,140
  • delta rock treat creek.jpg
    delta rock treat creek.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 2,156
  • captainilsandsmall.jpg
    captainilsandsmall.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 2,153
Last edited:

HDX

Welcome Born2clearcut This is the best place to amble down memory mainline! What years were you at Van Bay?

Born2clearcut

Sry for the double post everyone . wonder if i can delete them somehow ??

Thanks HDX this is a cool place . i think we lived in van bay around the mid 60's but not really sure.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Sry for the double post everyone . wonder if i can delete them somehow ??

Thanks HDX this is a cool place . i think we lived in van bay around the mid 60's but not really sure.

I removed the duplicate with the pictures. They're not your fault. This board has been a little buggy since it was upgraded, and some posts are finding their way into a list of posts "awaiting moderation", even though we haven't set anything to do that. I've been checking for those, and approving them all. Apparently, that's why yours got duplicated, since you had to go to the trouble of posting them twice. We apologize for the inconvenience. :eek:

(I'm beginning to wish I had a nickle for every time I've had to post that...) :Banghead

:bash

Born2clearcut

I was diggin in some of my stufff my grandfather gave me and found this pic tucked in a folder . I dout it was BCFP back then but it says Camp 6 1929 . sry the faces arn't clear, picture was too big for scanner..They are cystal clear in the picture.

Attachments

• camp6 1929.jpg
    camp6 1929.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 2,142

HDX

Hayesno1 Was up in Campbell River a couple weeks ago and came across the remains of BCFP unit 236 You posted a pic of her here, (post #15) She was a sandtruck with numbers 38-38 on the hood. This was 236 when new. Afraid she is all gone now cause what was left is scrapped. Too late again When Born2clearcut posts his next truck picture I will post the history of these trucks because it all ties in together Stay tuned