• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

6-110

Occupation
Retired
View attachment 167912 View attachment 167913 View attachment 167914 View attachment 167915 Jim Backland , BCFP . I'm not positive , but HDX Hayes in 2nd & 3rd picture could be the #6-254 an HDX Hayes that was new at Nekite River an HDX.d is one of three BCFP Conventional HDX Hayes that was painted White & Orange at factory . The other two #6-251 and #6-252 were at Caycuse Div.
In BCFP post #2169 picture #1 6-248 has a hydraulic tank mounted in the driver side water tank ladder. This is the same as the truck in BCFP post #2233 picture #2. In Vancouver Island B.C. Logging At its Best post # 16, there is a picture called BCFP Hayes. I think that is 6-254 after I drove it at ERT. I put side panels on it and removed the rear fenders. I can't see or recall a hydraulic tank in the water tank ladder. Do you think that maybe 6-248 got painted orange while hauling at Narrows Inlet?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
You know these trucks better than I do . I'm sure the #6-247 & #6-254 had a hydraulic ram under the Truck Bunk to hook up to the Lowbed . I see the #6-248 hooked to the Lowbed so I presume it has a Ram under the front Bunk also . In the picture of it under the trailer reload there is no plate between where the trailer reach sits when trailer sits piggy back on truck empty and side of water tank . But it is on the truck on the DLS , it could have been added , and in the late 1970's most of the logging trucks were painted the newer paint scheme . The #6-247 was painted the same as the #6-248 in these pictures when I first seen it in 1975 , the next time I saw it in 1978 it was painted Orange & White . These slides are badly mixed up I may yet come across a close up picture of the #6-248 in the Orange & White colors .

6-110

Occupation
Retired
You know these trucks better than I do . I'm sure the #6-247 & #6-254 had a hydraulic ram under the Truck Bunk to hook up to the Lowbed . I see the #6-248 hooked to the Lowbed so I presume it has a Ram under the front Bunk also . In the picture of it under the trailer reload there is no plate between where the trailer reach sits when trailer sits piggy back on truck empty and side of water tank . But it is on the truck on the DLS , it could have been added , and in the late 1970's most of the logging trucks were painted the newer paint scheme . The #6-247 was painted the same as the #6-248 in these pictures when I first seen it in 1975 , the next time I saw it in 1978 it was painted Orange & White . These slides are badly mixed up I may yet come across a close up picture of the #6-248 in the Orange & White colors .
Thanks for your reply. In post 113 of the BCFP thread there is another orange hdx with different guarding again on top of the water tank. It also seems to have a box behind the battery box. Picture says Narrows Inlet.

Shimmy1

Can't help but notice the majority of the pickups are Ford. Is that because the company ran Ford, or were they the only ones that would stand up?

camptramp

Occupation
Can't help but notice the majority of the pickups are Ford. Is that because the company ran Ford, or were they the only ones that would stand up?
Up until the mid 1970's every pickup , panel , crumy and 2-3 ton trucks or pretty much every thing that burned gas were Dodge or Fargo . Then BCFP started switching over to Fords in the mid 1970's . Perhaps they stayed with one brand to limit the spare parts stocked in the camp's warehouse to one brand . Dave Hadden are you out there ? Maybe you might have a better reason .

HDX

Al, I was wondering about the picture of the barge load of scrap and the Euclid Dumptruck on it. Do you have any idea what that was all about? Was it going to the Vancouver Scrap dealer? the reason I ask is because the thing in the back of the dump truck is actually a "Coleman" These were very scarce around here. There is one out at the Martin Mars water bomber site that Is used to pull the planes around. A good friend from Brighton Colorado wrote a book on these trucks some years ago and he felt from everything he saw at the water bomber base that the one there was the PROTO TYPE for these trucks. Extremely rare up and this is the second one I have seen. Was talking to Jim about it and he thought there was one out at the tractor society in Chilliwack but that was some years ago. Just a shot, but was wondering what she was doing prior to the exit on the barge there.

camptramp

Occupation
Jim bless his sole , has long departed us , so I can't ask him . I'm thinking these pictures were taken in the mid 1970's , probably at Narrows Inlet . Narrows was an ex Catermolte & Trethewy Camp , the first time I was there in 1972 , there were some real treasure's up there . The picture of the barge load of scrap is probably one of many . Sorry I can't be more helpful .

HDX

Cattermolte Then that would explain the truck in the last picture on post 2228 Truck is a WHD Hayes unit 6-501 in the sort next to the Pacific

camptramp

Occupation
Cattermolte had some good equipment up in Nekite River , but Narrows had some real junk . In 1972 they had Euclids for logging truck except for one HD Hayes , the yarders & loaders were pretty much used up . Did Cattermolte get a new WHD Hayes #503 at Nekite River ?

HDX

I went through some stuff and came up with this 6-245 and 6-246 as we all know went to Malibu with trailer's 52-506 and 52-507 May 2/73 Both trucks were school bus yellow. Then 6-247 went to Nekite May23/73 with 52-508 and had the ram under the truck bunk for the low bed, truck also yellow. 6-248 and 52-509 went to Narrows, June 11/73, Also with ram under bunk for lowbed. 6-253 went to Pitt Lake new Aug 22/74. She was a self load pre-load truck same as 6-249 and 6-250 style. There is no record of a trailer being built or delivered with her and no color indicated. 6-254and 52-558 were delivered to Nekite Oct 2/74. Came with ram under truck bunk for lowbed. Also no color recorded. So this would explain the hydraulic tanks on the side's of the trucks. 254 had the Pacific style tank behind the battery box as 6-110 said. Al, I was wondering if for some reason the trailer number's did not get mixed up and were also used as truck numbers up there. That would sure explain the high number on those trucks like 6-501 on the WHD and the 502 number's on the P16. What do you think ???

HDX

That is the one!!! New May 15/69 Although it does not say where it went or a unit number it has to be the one. V12 GM Allison trans and Apache Yellow paint. Good thinking!

camptramp

Occupation
I went through some stuff and came up with this 6-245 and 6-246 as we all know went to Malibu with trailer's 52-506 and 52-507 May 2/73 Both trucks were school bus yellow. Then 6-247 went to Nekite May23/73 with 52-508 and had the ram under the truck bunk for the low bed, truck also yellow. 6-248 and 52-509 went to Narrows, June 11/73, Also with ram under bunk for lowbed. 6-253 went to Pitt Lake new Aug 22/74. She was a self load pre-load truck same as 6-249 and 6-250 style. There is no record of a trailer being built or delivered with her and no color indicated. 6-254and 52-558 were delivered to Nekite Oct 2/74. Came with ram under truck bunk for lowbed. Also no color recorded. So this would explain the hydraulic tanks on the side's of the trucks. 254 had the Pacific style tank behind the battery box as 6-110 said. Al, I was wondering if for some reason the trailer number's did not get mixed up and were also used as truck numbers up there. That would sure explain the high number on those trucks like 6-501 on the WHD and the 502 number's on the P16. What do you think ???
I think your on the money for the BCFP HDX Hayes . I ran a Madill 009 tower at Nekite its # was 50? in 1978 . I was there in 1975 , there was a WHD Hayes #503? , it was not there when I went back there in 1978 . I think Cattermolte's equipment #'s started with 50_ at Nekite R. , so some of the equipment at Narrows could have been moved there from Nekite R. . But I'm baffled by the Pacific P 16 #6-502 . Could it have been an ex Cattermolte truck wrecked , then rebuilt with a Pacific cab . Have you any record of a Cattermolte Hayes #502 ?

camptramp

Occupation
They had some WHD Hayes at Southgate at the head of Bute Inlet too . I think that is where the WHD Hayes #221 that ended up at Nekite R. in 1979 was from oridginaly .

camptramp

Occupation
Jim Backlund , BCFP Renfrew Div. 1st picture is the Booming Grounds for the "A' Frame Dump at the North Arm of the San Juan River where Browns Creek enters it .The Booming Grounds were Browns Cr. after it was Dredged . the Tug in picture is the Renfrew Prince . I remember this Tug leaving Beach Camp on a Flat Car with the Logging Locie , heading to Bear Cr. then parts unknown . The 2nd picture is the load on the #224 HDX Hayes being strapped with Bundling Straps before being dumped . The 3rd picture is the Bundled Load hitting the water . The Logging Truck Driver in the stripped coveralls is Kaye Peterson . Another Great Character we worked with in our Youth , Kaye was very smart & very witty . Kaye always filled his Time Card out in pencil when he parked his truck . One afternoon as Kaye entered the Time Office to drop off his time card , the Woods Foreman Bob Roberson started asking him about a certain piece of Road . Kaye told him to hold on for a second , took his pencil out erased his quitting time & hours , then told him to continue . Adding his time discussing road conditions to his daily time .scan433.jpg scan434.jpg scan435.jpg scan436.jpg