• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brit logging.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Did you get any of this today yet Graham? Very picturesque but will be cold fingers tomorrow.WP_20171210_10_34_29_Pro.jpg WP_20171210_10_35_32_Pro.jpg

Graham1

Lucky you, think of those log sales.
No snow here. We had cold, rain and wind - worse today. Hope to get the wet over by Monday. Don't mind cold so much, but hate the wet. Much easier to keep warm, than keep dry.
Graham

hvy 1ton

Snow pics are great. Does newer valtra still have the 3ph/pto useable or is the lower mount crane in the way?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Snow is not something we get down south much, thought I'd snap a pic. We had 5-7" Friday and it's still on the ground.

IMG_3487.JPG

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Yes, snow falls here (SE) occasionally on an average year, but rarely to any great depth. However, even the smallest amount causes chaos on our roads as millions of careless drivers don't have the skills to cope with it, so the traffic jam reports on the radio are the worst on days like today. We didn't go anywhere even though we have mud and snow tyres on our Pickup and can happily navigate through 4" of snow, but so often the roads are blocked by cars sliding around so we stayed put in the woods.
Hvy 1ton, the pto and linkages are accessible on the Jake frame crane but you have to stretch and bang your head to connect hoses or electrics up!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Same here John. We just take a "snow day", stay home and enjoy it.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Well it's been a messy week or so, since the snow fell. Then as Graham predicted, got frantic with log sales as people realised it's Christmas in a few days and their log shed is bare.WP_20171214_09_44_59_Pro.jpg WP_20171218_11_37_42_Pro.jpg
Was going well sawing straight into the truck, then filling boxes while the truck was off delivering. Until the dual mass flywheel decided it had done enough, good old land rover! So packed that one off on our low loader, and fielded a replacement to try and catch up with the 20 or so deliveries still lined up. Thought to myself, customers might not be too happy if I said "sorry, truck is broken, won't be fixed until 6th Jan, will be in touch."!?

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
WP_20171209_08_44_16_Pro.jpg
Happier day in the sun, just before the clutch pedal started shaking to a new tune.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
And then the joystick went loose on the loader.WP_20171115_09_56_51_Pro.jpg WP_20171115_10_18_19_Pro.jpg WP_20171115_10_19_33_Pro.jpg
Seems like an odd design to make a bracket with 4 holes but then only use half of them to bolt it to the valve. Egged the holes out, so bought a genuine new kit from Merlo which has the complete set of parts, ball joints, bolts, everything including the bracket, all for £150 or so. Have to be more gentle with it, hey.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Must confess that in my idle moments in the evenings this week gone by I've been watching Logger Wade on youtube, he sure puts some vidjas on, good fun!

Graham1

Those standard size boxes and the rotator on the telehandler seem a very efficient system.
Typical Landrover, let you down at the busiest time. Glad I don’t have mine any more.
I don’t think £150 to fix the Merlo was too bad.
Graham

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Yes I was very happy with the Merlo joystick parts cost, it was about the best little kit I've ever seen, ball joints, all the little cap screws, rubber gaiter, the bottom plate, even rubber blanking gromet and a genuine cable tie for the gaiter. They thought of everything!
Delivery wise, you'd have to see some of the lanes and roads round here and then the way other road users fly about, it seems like most of them are competing in a car rally competition. Just yesterday on a bend I had to get out off the way of 3 of them on a bend and got rubbed up against a brick wall with the lowloader following behind. The wall owner was actually very decent about it, I just left it parked there and went and knocked on his door. He even helped me to reverse out of his wall, stopping cars back round the bend!
So we use the tractors to shift the odd load of roundwood to house owners that have their own splitter, but it's taking the tractors life in your hands it seems, plus the roads are bumpy potholed things a lot of the time, so even a rattily land rover is a smoother option!WP_20170508_17_01_57_Pro.jpg
Here's a load with pretty red straps on, ready for the road.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
WP_20170803_15_23_31_Pro.jpg WP_20170803_15_30_07_Pro.jpg WP_20170803_15_56_28_Pro.jpg
This is better, I found a few more interesting pics on phone. After this I'm going to have to brave the noisy hard drive on old laptop which I'm dreading.
We felt like proper Canadians on this job. Well, I did, the boys just smiled at me and carried on. Was nice to work on a sandy hill with the smell of pines, seatbelt on, nicer trees than we usually tangle with.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
WP_20170804_10_52_28_Pro.jpg WP_20170804_10_52_32_Pro.jpg WP_20170804_13_50_34_Pro.jpg
Working it out to the last little corner that was a slippery sandy bulge. Backed the trailers up empty on the exit side and loaded half loads with the tracked loader as it was all soft rabbit holes. Was ready with camera in case tractor rolled over, but it didn't so bit of an anti climax.