1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Brit logging.

Discussion in 'Forestry Equipment' started by John Shipp, Dec 2, 2017.

1. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Looking for pictures, I notice how dry a year we've had. We hardly left a mark on the ground. WP_20170331_17_08_54_Pro.jpg WP_20170413_08_41_00_Pro.jpg WP_20170413_17_13_14_Pro.jpg
    Picture 1 we thinned a oak plantation that's about a third of the way along it's life, actually looked quite hopeful when we'd done. Pic 2&3 a nearby wood, was oak and mixed conifer plantation with some failed areas where sycamore had self set (do you call this plane tree?). A lot of dog walkers through here, most had good things to say about our being there thinning, but one lady had a right go at me about how we'd ruined the wood etc and should be ashamed of ourselves. Didn't help that the bluebells were coming up at the time. Ho hum.

2. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    There is always the crazy ones John. I bet the woman that had a go at you went home and wiped her butt with toilet paper.:cool:

John Shipp likes this.
  3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Bet she didn't own the property either. I've seen the same thing here before also. Someone walks a trail through someone else's land and thinks they have the right to decide on how the land is used. Keep the photos rolling.

CM1995, Ronsii and John Shipp like this.
  4. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

I am a hobby logger at best, so for wet areas I just wait for it to dry out or freeze up. The mechanized guys build corduroy roads out of the the tops like you are talking about. The guys that still hand cut, which is basically everyone in my area just puts big tires on their cable skidder when it gets wet. Had to look up plane trees. I've only ever heard them called sycamores, but apparently someone calls them american planetrees. Those bluebells look pretty in that opened up stand. One of the guys I've been trying to get on here put out a video today of bucking logs with his excavator and grapple saw. Normally he follows around a rubber tired feller-buncher or hand cutter topping and bunching, but this is a small setting so hes doing the merchandising too. He acts a little goofy in videos, but he's a sharp dude.

John Shipp likes this.
  5. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Hvy 1ton, you know Logger Wade? That's great! I've seen a few of his youtube videos, real good stuff. I have to get something with a bigger screen to watch it on, could learn a lot more if could see it. That yellow frame, is it maybe 2 ft graduations, in one of his videos he lifted a "hydragate" right up and upside down so you could see it all. I didn't quite get to the end of this video yet as I'm going to be late for work if not careful!

6. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Well, this week we're on a hardwood clearfell, haven't moved the machines in yet but I thought I'd post some pics of the funny angles these things are growing at. They are all leaning different ways, fairly weighty cherry, ash, chestnut. WP_20171206_10_29_50_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_10_29_56_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_10_30_12_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_10_55_40_Pro.jpg
    With trees like this there will always be jobs for hand fallers!

7. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    WP_20171206_07_57_51_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_07_58_08_Pro.jpg
    We're doing the job for a timber buyer friend who has a fairly serious hardwood firewood collection.

8. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    In between the rows is this JCB 812 fitted with grab and rotator. Nice old machine. WP_20171206_07_49_21_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_07_49_55_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_07_51_10_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_07_53_07_Pro.jpg
    It used to have a harvesting head fitted years ago, hence the rugged front guard over the window.

9. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    WP_20171206_08_07_22_Pro.jpg WP_20171206_08_07_41_Pro.jpg
    We're using this Hitachi 135 tomorrow to drag a few trees about. It's paint is faded but it's a tidy machine. Indestructible grab.

10. Graham1

Graham1 Well-Known Member

Plenty of good firewood there by the looks of things.
    Graham

11. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Yes, he has his fingers crossed for a miserably chilly winter!

12. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It looks like you will have your hands full dragging those tree tops out of the other trees just to get them on the ground. I've heard plenty of complaints about damage to the trees left behind in commercial pre-thinning around here. Do you have the same issue with the land owners when you do the thinning?

13. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    I think I've told this story before here but it's a good one so I'll tell it again.

Friend of mine who is a homebuilder bought an old lot in an established subdivision in a stuffy part of town. On clearing day the neighbor directly behind the lot comes out raising hell about taking the trees down. She commences to tell my friend how she has looked at those trees for years and he can't take them down.

He proceeds to tell her he bought the lot, has a permit and he's not only going to take the trees down but build a house. The woman screams from her back deck - "I'm going to sue you". In which my friend replied - "Get in line behind my ex-wife!".

That come back ranks in the top 10 of all time.:D

Hank R likes this.
  14. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    As for collateral damage to retained trees, they sometimes look more ragged than we'd hoped but we've not has any complaints really which surprises me actually. Though have occasionally had silly moan about the damage an edge tree has done when, something like this:
    Me: "I see you've marked that huge ugly thing, standing over that young oak there"
    Agent: "oh you can just fell it over that way, can't you." (it's huge leaning heavy side weighted giant that has no where to go in the canopy...)
    Me: "huh... It'll just smash everything you know"
    Agent: "no, it will go over there" (walking off)

Next visit-

Agent: (snottily) " I see you tore up that young oak right on the side of a track, tut tut tut"
    Me: Thinking "(don't say anything, stop dreaming of wringing a chickens neck)"

We get a lot more of the kind of thing CM1995 mentioned!

CM1995 likes this.
  15. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    WP_20171207_07_42_50_Pro.jpg WP_20171207_08_09_37_Pro.jpg WP_20171207_08_09_44_Pro.jpg WP_20171207_08_09_47_Pro.jpg
    Got some pictures yesterday just as sun was coming up, but then the tail of a storm passed by and it was blowing cold rain all day and had hands full so didn't get any more pics. Hopefully today a bit more sunny. The access to this wood is right next to a fairly busy road, the tractor was jackknifed so we didn't block it completely!

16. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    Here's some pics of warmer days. Back in July, t-shirt weather. WP_20170707_12_40_57_Pro.jpg WP_20170707_18_04_00_Pro.jpg WP_20170712_12_19_31_Pro.jpg WP_20170713_19_00_38_Pro.jpg
    Pic 1 is Guy Jones moving along a side-slope with his crane held uphill, pic 2 tying them together for the weekend, pic 3 making life easy for the forwarders, pic 4 the trailer we use for moving kit about, 20 tonne with 25' bed.

17. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

It's really too bad AGCO axed Valtra in NA. I don't know if you've found stumpjumper on youtube, but he has a DS28 on a 160. I should have thrown one of his videos in with the ryan's one.

John Shipp likes this.
  18. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    More fun than a barrel of smiling monkeys! WP_20171208_14_12_37_Pro.jpg
    Stumpjumper has our mob summed up!

19. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    WP_20171208_14_11_34_Pro.jpg WP_20171208_14_11_50_Pro.jpg WP_20171208_14_12_19_Pro.jpg
    Been pushing these leaners away from retained trees, and "other obstacles". Chill wind there today, froze our grins on solid, but it didn't rain so we're grateful for that.

20. John Shipp

John Shipp Senior Member

forestry contracting
    One corner had these new "other obstacles" to steer the trees away from, we're glad that it all went well and the wind wasn't against us. WP_20171208_14_00_11_Pro.jpg
    The straight tree on the right was marked to be retained, which I'm a little surprised by. Well within reach of those new houses...